New Head Coach and Coaching Team

Re: New Head Coach and Coaching Team

Merican forester 13 Mar 2017 12:39 pm said..

It would be a bit ridiculous saying he's allowed to invest his money, allowed a position on the board but not allowed to contribute in the running of the club. Surely investing money gives you the right to the direction you want the club to go in, especially if you are investing a large chunk to own just under half.
Merican forester
Vice-Captain

homer 13 Mar 2017 13:02 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:No he surely doesn't . We did perhaps ( It was indicated to me at the time ) have the opportunity of SE but someone whose plying his trade elsewhere now - maybe didn't like the idea ; well so the inference went ( assuming it was accurate info of course ) . That was before the DH followed a season later by JB happening . If Jonny Bell were to leave then I would be the first however to say your suggestion would be somewhere near spot- on ; I didn't post it at the time as it was still a possible deal and something's aren't always good to mention .

A lot is going to depend on MA whatever his official involvement is for compliance . !! . The whole process of the deal has become so drawn- out now ; and there is no point in anyone investing in the club unless significant changes take place . Stephen Vaughan has said in the press that DH will remain in place . There are no guarantees that anyone will stay in their role unless the club sorts itself out ; that includes the management ; coaching staff and the players .

As for the Head Coach appointment ,well I'm not convinced it will be settled by the end of the month ; in fact to settle on anything ( unless it's of extreme quality ) quickly would be a drastic management error . I hope MA is being briefed by his advisors of developments ;) . To contract anyone who isn't of the utmost quality with a PROVEN success track record would be bad business for both the club and for the clubs would-be investor. Have no illusions . MA will want a profitable business underpinned by success on the pitch . He is investing for success not mediocrity . The press front runner is not IMHO what we need by a country mile !!!

Do we know how long they have been looking for a head coach? It may be they have been looking for some time and have found the likely contender, just finalising the deal remains. On the subject of M Altrad are you sure he is investing for profit, most sports clubs (strangely) aren't expected to make a profit, as was stated by Martin St. Quentin at the last supporters forum. :shock:
homer
Senior squad member

Jono026 13 Mar 2017 15:40 pm said..

Raphael Ibanez now available from Bordeaux available end of season. Announced he's leaving....

Could be an option?
Jono026
Vice-Captain

glawsrugbyfan 13 Mar 2017 16:34 pm said..

Jono026 wrote:Raphael Ibanez now available from Bordeaux available end of season. Announced he's leaving....

Could be an option?

Excellent player, but how good a coach? What's his track record?
glawsrugbyfan
Vice-Captain

Snevets49 13 Mar 2017 18:05 pm said..

glawsrugbyfan wrote:
Jono026 wrote:Raphael Ibanez now available from Bordeaux available end of season. Announced he's leaving....

Could be an option?

I've never been impressed from the moment they beat us in the play off for champions cup.....
(Bitter? Moi?..... :( )
Snevets49
On the board

theoptimist 13 Mar 2017 18:21 pm said..

glawsrugbyfan wrote:

Could be an option?

Interesting argument...however...How many coaches actually have a winning track record? (Genuine question!) And...what does it actually guarantee for their next team? The only northern hemisphere coach to win a World Cup did very little with the Lions. Did McCall do anything of any note before excelling with Sarries? and in spite of Baxter's undoubted success (promotion and improved premiership standings) I believe he lacked a proven track record when he became their coach.

I'd rather find a capable coach who buys into the ethos and culture to get the best out of the team. Whilst an important factor I'm less worried by a lack of pedigree (proven track record of winning) than I am by a lack of desire/heart etc. Saying that, wouldn't want a novice!

To me the whole next coach thing is a bit like asking a blind person if they'd rather a Labrador, retriever or labrapoodle as a guide dog...Ultimately I don't really care as long as they can do the job and know where they're going!
theoptimist
Vice-Captain

RTS2 13 Mar 2017 21:45 pm said..

On the subject of profit Homer , I would anticipate that MA would want the business to make a profit. He's not in the business of making losses . I accept what you say about sporting clubs to a point ; but Gloucester Rugby ( as we all know) is a business too. I think his approach to business is holistic in the sense that he expects every part of his business empire to work coefficiently . A close friend of mine works for the group and they are extremely inclusive at all levels . Emphasis is put on how each part makes up the whole and there isn't much tolerance for inefficiency .

Excellent post from Theoptimist . I accept your point in many ways, and you are essentially correct in your analysis. When I mentioned track record and proven success; I perhaps should have clarified what I meant . Your words put it over well . In addition though ; I do think the squad needs to have a belief in the next head coach , and finding one available with success ( as in trophies in the cabinet ) is indeed rare commodity .
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 14 Mar 2017 08:35 am said..

Although I'm sure he'd want a DoR role, anyone know what Vern Cotter's destination is after the weekend?
Glossince86
Hero in the making

Castle Grim Reaper 14 Mar 2017 08:37 am said..

RTS2 wrote:Emphasis is put on how each part makes up the whole and there isn't much tolerance for inefficiency .

A good attitude to have when you are putting up scaffolding :D
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Beddis 14 Mar 2017 09:01 am said..

Glossince86 wrote:Although I'm sure he'd want a DoR role, anyone know what Vern Cotter's destination is after the weekend?

Montpellier
Posts: 2218  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion