Vaughan the man in control!

Re: Vaughan the man in control!

RTS2 10 Mar 2017 09:58 am said..

Phill wrote:Maybe something about our best Prop will be said next by the Citizen troll... :lol:

Please leave Rupert Harden out of this Phill; anyone who knows anything about Tighthead's knows he is still Gloucester's best would-be prop and should be re-signed immediately to replace John Afoa... :D :D :D . I think the tig troll will probably slate me for that statement :D

Stephen Vaughan is clearly a very honourable man who has Gloucester Rugby's interests as a central core to his life and career. I am certain that the press release was not actually about him as such; but moreover about trying to re-confirm some degree of recognition that a press statement over Fisher's departure was necessary. I guess you could argue it wasn't( as Fisher may have appeared to resign ?? ) but for many it would appear somewhat odd if the clubs CEO didn't make some kind of statement.

As it was, the press release was reasonable and recognised that Fisher worked hard at his role ; whatever the end result. I think that was all that was needed. The other references Stephen made were in no way egotistical or coming across as someone who needed to reaffirm his own position IMHO.

In fairness to the original post-thread I can see how maybe things can be misinterpreted; but I have to agree with the other posters thus far ; although Born Free fully entitled to express their own interpretation.
Last edited by RTS2 on 10 Mar 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

GammoGlos 10 Mar 2017 10:10 am said..

I think Stephen Vaughan is a big success story at Gloucester Rugby. I think behind the scenes and the operating model is very slick. I don't see how he can be responsible for what takes place on the field.

On the other hand if he is in charge of the ticket office then we should put him in the stocks!! :D
GammoGlos
Vice-Captain

Castle Grim Reaper 10 Mar 2017 10:30 am said..

I guess you could argue it wasn't( as Fisher resigned ) but for many it would appear somewhat odd if the clubs CEO didn't make some kind of statement.

From an employment law perspective he didn't resign, his tweet could be taken as letting off steam, a suggestion that he should be replaced or whatever. If the club had stopped paying him after the tweet they would likely have been faced with an industrial tribunal.

He must have had formal contact with the club after this and correct process carried out, once this was done it was right that the club confirmed he had gone.

Personally I suspect the club still ended up paying him off.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

RTS2 10 Mar 2017 10:48 am said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:

From an employment law perspective he didn't resign, his tweet could be taken as letting off steam, a suggestion that he should be replaced or whatever. If the club had stopped paying him after the tweet they would likely have been faced with an industrial tribunal.

He must have had formal contact with the club after this and correct process carried out, once this was done it was right that the club confirmed he had gone.

Personally I suspect the club still ended up paying him off.

The club have indeed made the right decision to confirm Fisher leaving ; and all processes required will have been carried out. As for paying him off ; well that's pure speculation . Fisher ultimately threw in the towel; and IMHO he was humble in doing so. Employment Law (granted) is very complex; but his tweet recognised he was at his wits end with the role, and that it was time for him to leave. It had probably been coming for months. No one is getting into whether Fisher is still being paid or not. It's really not important IMHO however; see where you are coming from-totally especially with the technicality around whether he resigned or not. BTW I have amended my words slightly on my initial post to reflect the ambiguity around possible resignation or otherwise.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Pagan 10 Mar 2017 13:36 pm said..

So I have a question - is Vaughan's role strictly limited to issues outside of the actual team, i.e. does he, or did he, have no role/input into player contracts/coaching appointments & contracts?

In fairness to the original poster, I do think this press release from SV is rather unnecessary and adds nothing to previous releases.

As for how well we do off the pitch, while the bottom line is that making a profit should quite rightly be lauded as a very notable achievement, I still think GRFC could improve a number of areas such as match-day experience, basic customer service and communication, merchandising, reconnecting the club with the local community.

My personal experiences when dealing with the club on a variety of issues over the last few years, as well as those of my friends, have left me disappointed. I feel we are coasting and could do so much.

Some of these issues are certainly subjective (e.g. merchandising) and a matter of personal opinion but, to date, I find SV fairly underwhelming as a CEO.
Pagan
Turns out for the A team

RTS2 10 Mar 2017 14:02 pm said..

Pagan wrote:So I have a question - is Vaughan's role strictly limited to issues outside of the actual team, i.e. does he, or did he, have no role/input into player contracts/coaching appointments & contracts?

In fairness to the original poster, I do think this press release from SV is rather unnecessary and adds nothing to previous releases.

As for how well we do off the pitch, while the bottom line is that making a profit should quite rightly be lauded as a very notable achievement, I still think GRFC could improve a number of areas such as match-day experience, basic customer service and communication, merchandising, reconnecting the club with the local community.

My personal experiences when dealing with the club on a variety of issues over the last few years, as well as those of my friends, have left me disappointed. I feel we are coasting and could do so much.

Some of these issues are certainly subjective (e.g. merchandising) and a matter of personal opinion but, to date, I find SV fairly underwhelming as a CEO.

He was brought in a someone who had a passion for the sport and who could run a business. He will be in close contact with all aspects of the club both on and off the pitch; and although he doesn't walk around Hartpury with a tackle-bag or a Fisher hat ( thank goodness) he is fully in - tune with what is happening in the squad. I get your comments about Stephen from the persona element in some ways ; but he is a shrewd individual who keeps calm in what are, very challenging times @ CG.

I don't see him going anywhere very quickly. I don't want to say too much; but it's likely that previous influences may well have some future one's . Stephen is someone who can (and I am sure desperately wants) to take the club forward ; and we need a reliable calm and collected link to our past. He is as good as it gets as things stand.
Last edited by RTS2 on 10 Mar 2017 14:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 10 Mar 2017 14:11 pm said..

Anyone who has been engaged in conversation with SV is immediately drawn to his knowledge of the the club and the game and his ability to succinctly nail what is needed. I don't know anyone who has met him that doesn't have a good word for him.

In that light I find this thread quite disrespectful to someone who lives and breathes what is best for the club and not least the fans that pay the bills.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Pagan 10 Mar 2017 14:16 pm said..

Apologies RTS but did I make any comments re 'persona'?

If SV does have an input into the playing side of matters, then I am not sure he should escape criticism in terms of our current state of affairs. He seems to be the one left out when the blame is being passed around but I think there's plenty to share across at the club. Or am I missing something?

I am not convinced anyone on here really knows how the current coaching structure was put together as there seems to be a lot of assumptions without any hard facts and some of the players' contracts handed out in recent years, particularly while RW was still here, are highly questionable. 36's five year contract still bemuses me for example. If Vaughan plays a part in any of this, I think it's only fair that he take some of the responsibility rather than fans lumping all the blame on LF and/or DH.
Pagan
Turns out for the A team

RTS2 10 Mar 2017 14:23 pm said..

Pagan wrote:Apologies RTS but did I make any comments re 'persona'?

If SV does have an input into the playing side of matters, then I am not sure he should escape criticism in terms of our current state of affairs. He seems to be the one left out when the blame is being passed around but I think there's plenty to share across at the club. Or am I missing something?

I am not convinced anyone on here really knows how the current coaching structure was put together as there seems to be a lot of assumptions without any hard facts and some of the players' contracts handed out in recent years, particularly while RW was still here, are highly questionable. 36's five year contract still bemuses me for example. If Vaughan plays a part in any of this, I think it's only fair that he take some of the responsibility rather than lump all the blame on LF and/or DH.

No and apologies if I misunderstood the tone of the post when you used the word " underwhelming". Perhaps you might clarify ?. Accept your point but I was only trying to work out the use of the highlighted word.

I don't think Stephen does avoid criticism and he has got some at times on here. I am sure he takes anything Gloucester Rugby to heart but try's to use his head to deal with what can be very difficult situations. I think he's the right man to deal with the transition of the club and to act as a pivotal individual both with that element and the development of the infrastructure ( ground etc etc ) that will run parallel to the new " era" that the club are about to potentially enter.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Marble Eye 10 Mar 2017 14:46 pm said..

According to Laurie fisher, he was not involved in the set-up of the coaching staff when he arrived .
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby