racing francais

racing francais

josskaman 13 Mar 2017 10:49 am said..

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/racing-92-and-stade-francais-to-merge/

might be a few spare players kicking about without a contract in france.

totally mad, feel for the fans, i remember a few years ago bayonee and biarritz were going to try and do the same
josskaman
On a trial

Re: racing francais

King Prawn Bhuna 13 Mar 2017 10:55 am said..

Aren't Racing 92 themselves the result of a merger a few years back....I presume to create a super rich club? and drive another nail in the sport and the French national team.
"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." .....John Lennon
King Prawn Bhuna

Nuts 13 Mar 2017 13:33 pm said..

Quite a shock if true.

But pro rugby is a business, and this is what companies do to survive/thrive....
Nuts
Vice-Captain

stevieb 13 Mar 2017 13:44 pm said..

Wow, that's some superclub!
stevieb
Hero in the making

GlawsyD 13 Mar 2017 14:53 pm said..

In my mind, it beggers the question as to whether the 'new' club should be able to stay in the Top 14 (13). With the 'loss' of 2 clubs surely others from the league below should be promoted first and this new club should start lower down and earn the right.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

MattChelt 13 Mar 2017 15:17 pm said..

GlawsyD wrote:In my mind, it beggers the question as to whether the 'new' club should be able to stay in the Top 14 (13). With the 'loss' of 2 clubs surely others from the league below should be promoted first and this new club should start lower down and earn the right.

Arguably yes - this will be a new club, with zero history of it's own. Is it any different to an existing club going bust, and then being re-born and having to start again way down the league structure (like Chester City FC, and Hereford United FC)?

However - on the assumption that the playing (and coaching) squad at the new club will be cherry-picked from the available resources provided by the two existing clubs, then they could well be a potent force, in which case what would be the benefit of them (potentially) steaming through a season (or more) in the lower leagues, before gaining promotion back to the Top 14?

Alternatively, it could give an opportunity to a couple of clubs from outside the current Top 14 to be given a place at the top table, for a season at least - those two clubs may well then be able to pick up the players not given a slot in the new "Racing Francais" set-up.

Also, how do existing employment contracts with the two current clubs stack up? There will be players coming to the end of their contracts this summer, so they may well be the first ones jettisoned, but there will be plenty of others with longer contracts - is there room for all of them in the new set-up? Or will all existing contracts become null & void, if the two existing clubs cease to exist once the merger happens (i.e. clean sheet of paper, everything re-set)?

All questions for the authorities to ponder, I guess.
MattChelt
Senior squad member

Fat Taff 13 Mar 2017 15:21 pm said..

This is a nonsense. Although not the hotbed of rugby that other parts of France are, it's insane to suggest that a capital city with a population of over 2m cannot sustain two professional rugby clubs.

The clubs, the supporters and the players have been shamefully shafted by Lorenzetti and Savare.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Original Tetley 13 Mar 2017 15:25 pm said..

+1
Original Tetley
First team regular

Big Red 13 Mar 2017 15:28 pm said..

+2!
Big Red
Hero in the making

Jono026 13 Mar 2017 15:34 pm said..

So how do 70+ squad players fit into one squad...?

Are contracts still binding?
Is that why Goosen IS heading back to Paris? New deal?
Jono026
Vice-Captain
Next

Return to General Discussion