France v Wales

Re: France v Wales

Fat Taff 19 Mar 2017 18:14 pm said..

chumba wrote:Wales got all they deserved for their endless and nerveless cheating at the end. They were lucky to finish with more than 12 on the pitch. Understandable in the circumstances but very very cynical nonetheless

Care to comment on the French front row HIA towards the end ? If we're using the word cheat so freely, it's probably worth bringing up.

'Are you fit to play?'

'Yeah, I have a sore back'

Never seen a HIA done for a sore back before.

Talk me through the 'endless and nerveless cheating' at the end. I'd be interested in your views given the bind position of the French prop and the pop up of the hooker.

Before anyone screams sour grapes, Wales finished fifth because they deserved to , and England finished top for the same reason.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

CMGC 20 Mar 2017 10:11 am said..

I think that no one came out that well from the Paris match. WR need to offer some better guidelines for refs etc. as poor Barnes was on a hiding to nothing and probably did as well as anyone could. The French prop situation was a farce and then there was the yellow card mess with players coming on and off to be within the rules but still quite vague. Wales at least didn't say their prop was unfit and thus uncontested scrums but the repeat scrum offenses probably should have had further sanction. No doubt someone will cop a fine or ban for something but some firmer guidance would help.
CMGC

Lewi7 20 Mar 2017 13:41 pm said..

Quite, CMGC, for all the criticism it would have been easy for the Welsh management to say that Francis was injured, even just a slight calf strain, which would have meant uncontested scrums, the same cannot be said of France however. They fake a HIA, their Dr runs onto the pitch, then off, then back on with instructions to take the replacement prop off and bring back on their starting 3 who is regarded as the better scrummager.

As for cheating, Wales are no worse and sadly no better, than anyone else.

I think Wayne Barnes did aswell as anyone could have. He remained calm, handled multiple issues, took his time etc. I do think Wales should have been awarded a pen try in the 1st half. If the offence merited a yellow then it should have been a pen try too.

Wales could have beaten........"could've" being the operative word. They led England with 75 mins on the clock, were beating France with 80, in fact 99 mins on the clock, should've notched 4 trys against Italy and went awol in the 2nd half against scotland, but they beat Ireland, 3-0 on trys - it's a 6 nations of nearly / could've, not quite good enough.
Posts: 2944  Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris, sometimes London, sometimes other places !
Lewi7

RTS2 20 Mar 2017 13:47 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:Quite, CMGC, for all the criticism it would have been easy for the Welsh management to say that Francis was injured, even just a slight calf strain, which would have meant uncontested scrums, the same cannot be said of France however. They fake a HIA, their Dr runs onto the pitch, then off, then back on with instructions to take the replacement prop off and bring back on their starting 3 who is regarded as the better scrummager.

As for cheating, Wales are no worse and sadly no better, than anyone else.

I think Wayne Barnes did aswell as anyone could have. He remained calm, handled multiple issues, took his time etc. I do think Wales should have been awarded a pen try in the 1st half. If the offence merited a yellow then it should have been a pen try too.

Wales could have beaten........"could've" being the operative word. They led England with 75 mins on the clock, were beating France with 80, in fact 99 mins on the clock, should've notched 4 trys against Italy and went awol in the 2nd half against scotland, but they beat Ireland, 3-0 on trys - it's a 6 nations of nearly / could've, not quite good enough.

And seemingly not going to get big Teds signature post Gatland ? . I guess things might still happen but not looking likely ATM ? . Nick what do you think of Howley ? .
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 20 Mar 2017 14:03 pm said..

Howley has been successful as a No.2 in 2008 and 2012, in 2013 he turned a terrible first 40 mins against Ireland into 6nations winners, but in 2012, leading Wales in Aus (Gatland was injured after he fell off a ladder) and now, the 6nations I think he's in the same catagory as Andy Robinson, ie: not international head coach material but a damn good No.2. He's also done well on Lions tours, again as assistant, not the main man.

Wales have also had 2 different attack coaches this season, one (formerly of Glos) in the Autumn and Alex King for the 6nations - I don't think that has helped - there is a big call to get Stephen Jones (fly half, currently at the Scarlets) in as backs coach. The problem is Howley is signed up to 2019 and will want the top job then.

It's pretty clear that most of Wales's game is very good, but they are not scoring from the chances they create and I do sometimes despair at the poor quality of some of the passing, support and ball retention, they have underachieved this season in these 3 areas.
Posts: 2944  Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris, sometimes London, sometimes other places !
Lewi7

CMGC 20 Mar 2017 17:05 pm said..

Not wishing to kick a man when he is down but the question has to crop up about how good the Wales stars are. Ok they have got lots of caps etc. and to be fair seem to get strong reviews from pundits from other countries. ( quite amusing to hear the Lions picks from Scrum V on Sunday. !!) However it surely gets harder to keep being seen as World Class if your Int team is losing more than half it's games against tier 1/2 teams. It doesn't stack up. Alternatively either the Coaching is dire or the handful of non stars are seriously holding the others back. Howley is the main attack man for the Lions so what does that tell us?
I am honestly at loss to make much sense of it. In truth I'm far from sure that the 6N's is much of a guide as to who will do well on a Lions tour anyway.
CMGC

caldiglaws 20 Mar 2017 18:19 pm said..

the French prop was changed at 80.03 on the clock Wales changed a prop at about 97 mins and it wasnt the yellow card reversal yet nobody see's the irony in that substitution
its the point where Barnes asks the 4th official is there an issue
caldiglaws
Senior squad member

stuartjames 21 Mar 2017 09:59 am said..

Any update on citings from the weekend. They said on the highlights show they would look at the 'bite' and decide on citing as normal, tbc by Monday evening. Also did Atonio pass his HIA?
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

Diamo 21 Mar 2017 10:27 am said..

Posts: 382  Location: Munich mostly and sometimes the sprawling metropolis of Stroud
Diamo
Vice-Captain

plod 21 Mar 2017 15:21 pm said..

Regrettably as there is mention of a “clear bite mark”, there will be no action as they could not identify
a culprit. Leaves a bad taste.
plod
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion