Ireland v England ogt

Re: Ireland v England ogt

lucifer 18 Mar 2017 19:07 pm said..

No point Upton, they would never have passed to him.
lucifer
Vice-Captain

Sky blue 18 Mar 2017 19:10 pm said..

Great guts by Ireland. Champions, but no grand slam, is probably a fair return from England's faltering performance.

Hopefully we can now leave the Mike Brown years behind us. Imagine how good England's back line could be with a 15 joining the line to (pass and) create space for the wingers.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

SpiralScratch 18 Mar 2017 19:12 pm said..

I know the game didn't particularly suit it - but I don't think I saw Brown pass at all during that game
SpiralScratch
Hero in the making

Sky blue 18 Mar 2017 19:14 pm said..

He did pass. It was a miss pass that caused the recipient to be taken out in the air as he leapt high into the overcast sky to catch it.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

plod 18 Mar 2017 19:19 pm said..

Was the occasion a bit too much.?We were pretty poor all game.
plod
Hero in the making

Beddis 18 Mar 2017 19:33 pm said..

Irish back row far more balanced, O'Mahony put in one hell of a shift, whereas my mate was left stood there watching.

Hopefully the end of my mate in an England shirt as well as Youngs whose passing was awful again today and was outplayed by the inexperienced Marmion. Also see no reason to carry on with Brown, as he doesn't really add anything.

The tactics to tackle Sexton late didn't pay dividends and Itoje is a far better player than that.
Posts: 2500  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

theoptimist 18 Mar 2017 19:44 pm said..

Agree wholeheartedly with your first two paragraphs Beddis but not the last.

Don't think there were deliberate tactics to tackle sexton late...he's just a bloody good player who takes the ball to the line and gets the loose forwards to bite on him. He's tough enough to take it. In every game I see him play he does the same and always gets a couple of big hits for his troubles.

In addition, I don't think Johnny May would've seen the ball or the space to make a moment of match winning magic. Ireland were magnificent defensively.
theoptimist
Vice-Captain

Legendoft'Autostrada 18 Mar 2017 19:58 pm said..

I don't usually pay too much heed to England or international football, generally, but was very impressed by Ireland. By far the better side and deserving winners. It was kind of poetic that it was Mr Brown who dropped the pass and finally put the tin lid on England's hopes. There must be better full-backs in the country than him?
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

silverback47 18 Mar 2017 20:06 pm said..

Brown is good at the high ball, but has a blind spot when it come to passing,maybe he just seeks the glory. I feel that he has served his purpose in this current England squad and that we will see very little of him internationally in the future.

Today's match was just a hiccup in the great scheme of things, provided we learn from our mistakes. After all 18 wins in a row is no mean feat!! I feel that England are turning the corner and are going to to be a very entertaining team to watch in the future, but remember we still have a way to go and I am sure under EJs guidance we will always continue to learn.
silverback47
On a trial

CMGC 18 Mar 2017 20:26 pm said..

As said , a fair result and a very spirited game from t he Irish. Eng didn't look as though they had the game for it today. It will be very interesting to see who EJ takes on tour this summer. It will clearly be a second XV but the ones in the 23 not on NZ duty may not all get the call.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby