Lions

Re: Lions

caldiglaws 20 Mar 2017 17:53 pm said..

the Welsh media seem to think that thier team has stagnated with the big bosh centre ROBERTS style
and finishing 5th would seem to prove it the Welsh team is said to play Warren ball i hope Gatland has another plan if not i can see the Lions playing the same as Wales and losing all the tests by a small margin
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 20 Mar 2017 19:17 pm said..

How do you beat the AB's ? You have to match them, as a minimum up front, dominate if pos. Match them for pace of game (which is the big question mark for me) make less mistakes than them (another question mark) and take all scoring opportunities - sounds so easy doesn't it.

Farrell, Sexton or Halfpenny are the the best goal kickers - I don't think you need all 3 on the pitch. Liam Williams had a very good tour in NZ last year and the Kiwi's really rated him, so play him at 15, North and Watson on the wings. The back 3 will have plenty of kicks to field, high kicks aswell as positional.

Jamie Roberts has been used by Gats to get over the gain line, especially from quick lineout ball and let's face it, it's worked in the past. He started at 15 however and then played on the wing for Wales before going into the centre. He was the right man to bring on when defending against France too, did the same against Ireland the previous week. What the AB's did was mould Ma'a Nonu's game, as he started like Roberts. What Wales haven't done is mould Roberts a la Nonu.

I've been fairly impressed with Ringrose though, good footwork.
Posts: 2973  Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris, sometimes London, sometimes other places !
Lewi7

Steveybadger 20 Mar 2017 19:58 pm said..

Sure it won't happen but how about moving Hogg to the wing and Kearney at FB? Keep Hogg's flair but a bit more solidity at the back?

Or lose flair at FB and have a defensively dodgy winger?!!
Steveybadger
First team regular

Fat Taff 20 Mar 2017 20:28 pm said..

Steveybadger wrote:Sure it won't happen but how about moving Hogg to the wing and Kearney at FB? Keep Hogg's flair but a bit more solidity at the back?

Or lose flair at FB and have a defensively dodgy winger?!!

Kearney 's front on tackling and positioning prior to that is a poor as Hoggs
He adds nothing in defence, and a back three containing him and Hogg will get smashed in New Zealand
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Chalker 21 Mar 2017 19:10 pm said..

1. Vunipola
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Stander
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. North
15. Kearney
Chalker
On the board

Lewi7 21 Mar 2017 19:23 pm said..

1. Vunipola - I have doubts over his scrummaging - bench for me
2. Best - I have doubts over his throwing in - he does have wobbles
3. Furlong
4. Itoje - no Launchbury / Gray(s); AWJ; Henderson ?
5. Lawes - As above, Kruis to come back too.
6. Stander - Peter O'Mahony for lineout
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly - yes except the AB's will test his inexperience / positional play
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. North
15. Kearney - Liam Williams for me.
Posts: 2973  Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris, sometimes London, sometimes other places !
Lewi7

Chalker 21 Mar 2017 19:50 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:1. Vunipola - I have doubts over his scrummaging - bench for me
2. Best - I have doubts over his throwing in - he does have wobbles
3. Furlong
4. Itoje - no Launchbury / Gray(s); AWJ; Henderson ?
5. Lawes - As above, Kruis to come back too.
6. Stander - Peter O'Mahony for lineout
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly - yes except the AB's will test his inexperience / positional play
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. North
15. Kearney - Liam Williams for me.

Lewi

I thought long and hard about my selections and will try to answer your comments.
1. Yes but little competition
2. Big heart and leader, less risk for me than Owens or Hartley.
Itoje - one of my first picks in the team, he is a massive talent and must play for me. I did not consider Kruis because of the 6N but he would replace Lawes if fit.
6. Stander especially against the AB (6 is the only position I can talk about with any real knowledge, which is why I am such a big fan of Moriarty) Itoje covers your line out point.
11. Agree, but would still pick him. Long kicker a big plus too
15. Yes Liam is a very good footballer - he would be in my party. I believe Halfpenny has lost pace and despite his obvious assets he now gets caught in possession too often for me.

Just my thoughts, over to you
Chalker
On the board

stuartjames 21 Mar 2017 19:54 pm said..

My XV - a few obvious omissions, but I don't think Sexton/Farrell would work. Mako V can't scrummage well enough, Billy V needs to get match fit

1. Rob Evans/McGrathh
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Richie Gray
6. Warburton
7. Watson
8. Stander/Strauss
9. Murray (Capt)
10. Sexton, Farrell when injured
11. Liam Williams/Daly
12. Henshaw
13. Huw Jones (but that's gone out the window) so Joseph
14. North
15. Hogg/Daly/Williams
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 21 Mar 2017 20:20 pm said..

SJ that is a very interesting team selection. England have dominated the 6n for 2 seasons yet you have selected 1 English player, and that by default due to huw jones injury.
Not1eyed
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 21 Mar 2017 20:38 pm said..

EJ's suggestion is to have 4 Captains: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39347452

I can see the logic.
Lewi7
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion