Lions

Lions

Beddis 18 Mar 2017 22:08 pm said..

So after the Six Nations, this is the Lions 23 I would go with if I were Gatland:

1. McGrath
2. Hartley (c)
3. Furlong
4. Launchbury
5. J Gray
6. O'Mahony
7. Warburton
8. Moriarty
9. Murray
10 Sexton
11 Earls
12 Henshaw
13 Joseph
14 North
15 Hogg

16 Best
17 Healy
18 Cole
19 Itoje
20 Vunipola
21 Webb
22 Farrell
23 L Williams

Any other suggestions?
Posts: 2333  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Re: Lions

steckers 18 Mar 2017 22:10 pm said..

I can't see how any Lions team can't have farrell as first name on the sheet.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 18 Mar 2017 22:33 pm said..

Hogg is the best stocking full back but a defensive liability. Either Farrell or Halfpenny will start from a % kicking perspective.
Glossince86
Hero in the making

Not1eyed 18 Mar 2017 22:53 pm said..

Farrell is the only player that is nailed on. Not just for his goal kicking but he's pure clSs
Not1eyed
Vice-Captain

Beddis 18 Mar 2017 22:56 pm said..

I would have agreed before a few weeks ago, but I think Sexton and Henshaw have been so effective as a partnership that they will get the nod. No doubt Farrell will go as he is one of England's strongest and certainly most consistent performers.
Posts: 2333  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Still Realistic 18 Mar 2017 23:02 pm said..

If Farrell is fit then he starts, whether that is at 10 or 12. I was critical of him for a long time but now accept he is a top quality international. If Ireland think England subjected Sexton to "special treatment" then I can assure you that it is nothing compared to what he will get in NZ.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

CMGC 18 Mar 2017 23:04 pm said..

Too easy to be influenced by what we saw in today's games which were a bit atypical. Most teams have had one or two good games and also some dull ones. That applies to most players. Wales and Ire only really showed up in the two games against Eng when their players seemed to go up a gear and show what they can do. The issue is when with the Lions will this same intensity reappear ?
The Front two rows will be Eng/ Ire lockouts and the backrow incredibly tight to call. If the go with Sexton , NZ will nail him just as Eng did today. They will do a better job. To be honest very few players looked good today as an attacking force and I imagine Hansen will be rather relieved. No defence is going to keep the NZ team quiet at home for 80 mins. We NEED a strong attack.
CMGC

stuartjames 19 Mar 2017 10:51 am said..

Warburton, Falateau (sp?) will be selected. The latter by reputation but on the bench. After a few iffy weeks with the yips, Rory Best bettered both England Hookers yesterday. I think he'll start. Can't see any england props making the 23. Marler was rubbish yesterday and Cole is not the player he was. CJ Stander and O'Mahoney were class yesterday. So imho back row of those 2 plus Warburton. No idea on the 2nd row. Not sure Itoje will handle the pressure very well though. Few late hits yesterday.

No clue about the backs, but more welsh players than expected. Sexton to start at No10 but to be injured out of tour and Farrell to take over.
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

Jono026 19 Mar 2017 11:59 am said..

Will have to disagree with the statement about Hogg. Historically es es been poor defensively but yesterday he definitely made more than 2 try saving tackles and was outstanding in comparison to previous defensive performances. Maybe he's now improving that side of his game...
Jono026
Vice-Captain

Astie 19 Mar 2017 12:12 pm said..

1 to 15: Vunipola, Best, Furlong, Launchbury, J. Gray, Stander, Tipuric, Vunipola, Murray, Farrell, North, Henshaw, Joseph, Watson, Hogg

Bench: Hartley, McGrath, Sinckler, Itoje, Faletau, Webb, Sexton, Daly

We're blessed with second rows - you could argue a case for 6 or 7 to start! The 9, 10, 12 will be interesting - I've gone for best players IMO but combinations will be pivotal - Murray/Sexton, Sexton/Henshaw, Farrell/Joseph? Ford's lack of physicality would get exposed against the ABs. Wingers a bit of a lottery too; Halfpenny, Zebo, Williams, Daly, Seymour, Earls? Sinckler is my wildcard, I think he's a hell of a player.
Astie
Senior squad member
Next

Return to General Discussion