Lions

Re: Lions

Glossince86 19 Mar 2017 22:48 pm said..

Fat Taff wrote:As good as he is in attack, Hogg is poor in defence.

Ditto, XV shirt is Halfpenny's
Glossince86
Hero in the making

CMGC 20 Mar 2017 11:45 am said..

Well it will be tough to chose and there will be injuries etc. over the next few weeks but as of today I would go for

S. Hogg
G North
J Joseph
O Farrell
E Daly
J Sexton
C Murray
M Vunipola , Best , T Furlong
AWJ, Launchbury ,
CJ Stander, S Warburton , B Vunipola .

However I suspect the dirtrackers team will be about as strong such is the parity of so many of the players
CMGC

stuartjames 20 Mar 2017 12:32 pm said..

I just don't see why Gatland would pick Farrell at 12 with Sexton at 10? You can argue the reason why it works for England but Ford at 10 and his perceived tackling weakness and kicking percentages means he's there as a playmaker with Farrell stepping up as place kicker and 2nd playmaker, I think it's described as.

Sexton doesn't need either of those skills in his No12, he needs a gain line breaker like Henshaw. If you pick Sexton you need to go for a traditional 12/13 combination and I don't think Farrell will be selected to play that role. Picking the best 15/23 players won't work for the Lions, they need the best team and I think that means Gatland will look at things slightly differently.
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

torchy6 20 Mar 2017 13:55 pm said..

stuartjames wrote:I just don't see why Gatland would pick Farrell at 12 with Sexton at 10? You can argue the reason why it works for England but Ford at 10 and his perceived tackling weakness and kicking percentages means he's there as a playmaker with Farrell stepping up as place kicker and 2nd playmaker, I think it's described as.

Sexton doesn't need either of those skills in his No12, he needs a gain line breaker like Henshaw. If you pick Sexton you need to go for a traditional 12/13 combination and I don't think Farrell will be selected to play that role. Picking the best 15/23 players won't work for the Lions, they need the best team and I think that means Gatland will look at things slightly differently.

Very good points Stuart, it ill be interesting to see the final selection, I'm sure it will include Farrell.
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 20 Mar 2017 14:21 pm said..

Big difference Captaining Wales and living in Wales, vs being a Lions Capt abroad for a short ish tour. With being on a NDC and Cardiff Blues not involved with playoffs in the Pro 12 Warburton will be fresh.
AWJ is having a scan on his shoulder, the results and rehab will determine his availability.

Many players have done well then had a fall, one thing is certain however, if a player has a weakness the AB's will find and expose it.

The comment about Farrell at 12 supporting Ford at 10 is spot on. Farrell hasn't started a Test at 10 for some time either, plus the pace of the game in New Zealand will be higher than anything in the 6nations.
Posts: 2944  Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris, sometimes London, sometimes other places !
Lewi7

mishmash 20 Mar 2017 15:57 pm said..

I actually think a ball playing 12 outside Sexton would be a massive benefit.

Ireland's back play outside Sexton has actually been fairly limited and they rely too much on Henshaw bashing it up or Sexton loop plays which is far too predictable. The Lions will have pace and power in the back 3 with Hogg, North, Williams, Watson or whoever else is picked so a proper distributor at 12 is vital.
mishmash
First team regular

Nuts 20 Mar 2017 16:25 pm said..

Farrell at 15?

Impressive though 1/2p was in Paris for kicking, he just isn't in the form to offer what he used to ball in hand - and there are others who do it better. I do think he'll be on the tour, just not front line selection.

Personally I think Daly is a contender for Lions at 15 too, even more so if Farrell is 10 or 12.

Whoever is announced in April, you can be sure that the full season and full on tour will mean a number of enforced changes too.

ps Warburton was inspirational during extra time in Paris. Not sure if it showed on TV but after every break in play, he was geeing up the pack & laying down what was needed. (I wonder if his stopping Wales captain was to allow him to refresh & prepare for Lions role.....possible deal with Gats already, esp in view of Gats recent comments on captaincy)
Nuts
Vice-Captain

Ciren Ranger 20 Mar 2017 16:58 pm said..

Personally, I think that Farrell is so much of a guaranteed starter he may get the armband. Big call as no international captaincy experience but he's such a good player and - from the last Lions tour - appears to be a natural leader.

Hogg also has to be starting, defensively suspect maybe but he offers too much going forward. No other fullback matches him in that regard. Look at Halfpenny's scoring stats for Wales at fullback...
Ciren Ranger
Turns out for the A team

stuartjames 20 Mar 2017 17:21 pm said..

I actually think a ball playing 12 outside Sexton would be a massive benefit.

Mishmash, I probably agree with you re Farrell at 12, but I'm not convinced Gatland sees it that way. He's always seemed to like a bosher at 12. Personally I think Sexton won't last the tour and Farrell will end up playing at 10. Can't see George Ford being picked, he'll choose Sexton, Russell and god forbid Biggar! Farrell will go as a nominal No12 but don't think Gatland will pick him there for the test team
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

CMGC 20 Mar 2017 17:25 pm said..

SJ - I actually tend to agree with you and myself ( given warm up time etc.) would pick combos from one nation or another. As a result You might go with a hooker and pair of locks from one nation and a backrow from another etc. It won't happen but it might get the team efficiently working faster. We don't know what type of game Gats wants so it is very hard to predict how it will go. They either need to go all defense and rushing loose forwards or quick ball and attack. I guess time will tell.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion