Lions

Re: Lions

caldiglaws 21 Mar 2017 20:46 pm said..

England in their run beat the Aussies 4 or 5 times as well as all the home nations twice except Ireland and beat New Zealand I think the last time they played them under Lancaster to head of the Ireland beat the All Blacks claims on winning form against the All Blacks surely no Scots or Welsh should travel as I don't believe any of their squads know how to win against New Zealand let alone over there :o :o :D
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 21 Mar 2017 20:50 pm said..

My selection's based on 6 Nations form and what I think will work. Farrell is a great player but I think Sexton will be first choice No10 and I don't see how he fits in as the No12, Sexton needs a gain line breaker and that's not Farrell. I do think players like Kruis/Billy V will be pushing for selection IF they get fit and find they're obvious form/class.

That said I also expect Sexton not to make it through the tour and Farrell will than be first choice No10. It always amazes me when pundits base their Lions selections on how good individual players are and not on how they fit into a team or style of play. Perhaps that's the reason I've gone for so few England players, I'm not sure they fit into what Gatland will want.
stuartjames
Hero in the making

Not1eyed 21 Mar 2017 21:10 pm said..

Fair enough. Personally, I think there will be at least 6 English in my team based on 6n.
I like EJ's theory in principle but in practice it's unrealistic because for me 2 of the 4 starting 6n captains are not likely to make the touring party and they shouldn't be selected because they are captain of their country
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

CMGC 22 Mar 2017 09:22 am said..

I think the key to SJ's case is " what Gats wants". I assume he thinks Gats will aim for the same as he did in OZ. I think it is universally accepted that will not work or win anything . The old adage has been to take the best team/ squad and adapt the Lions team and style to that. In which case he needs to take Eng and change out players where there are better equivalents in the other nations. 4yrs ago he took the Wales team and did that. Given the limited prep time that seems the best play to get a functioning squad asap.
CMGC

Lewi7 22 Mar 2017 13:26 pm said..

Accenture have put together a list of the best performers in this year's Championship using an algorithm to gauge a player's contribution, positive or negative.
"The algorithm combines weighted values for every action - positive scores for metres gained, passes and so on, negative for poor handling or a missed tackle - and calculates an overall score," say Accenture.
"The weightings are based on prior calculations of an action's likelihood of leading to a point scoring opportunity." - The best Stat team is:

1. Jack McGrath, 2. Ken Owens, 3. Tadhg Furlong,
4. Joe Launchbury, 5. Courtney Lawes,
6. CJ Stander, 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. Jamie Heaslip,
9. Rhys Webb, 10. Dan Biggar,
12. Owen Farrell, 13. Jonathan Davies,
11. Liam Williams, 14. Simon Zebo, 15. Mike Brown,

Link here, explaining details etc. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... v-12774200
Posts: 3468  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Lewi7 22 Mar 2017 13:34 pm said..

This is a Sky Sports team, voted by, they say, circa 16,000

Sky Sports viewers' Lions XV:
15 Stuart Hogg, 14 George North, 11 Anthony Watson,
13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Owen Farrell,
10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray;
1 Mako Vunipola, 2 Rory Best, 3 Tadhg Furlong,
4 Maro Itoje, 5 Alun Wyn Jones,
6 CJ Stander, 7 Sam Warburton, 8 Billy Vunipola.

Only 3 players in both.
Posts: 3468  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

caldiglaws 22 Mar 2017 13:38 pm said..

Well I'm glad an algorithm isn't picking the real Lions team because any side with 6 members of the 5th placed team and Mike Brown in it shows maths isn't the answer to everything
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

caldiglaws 22 Mar 2017 13:43 pm said..

The Sky team is more like I would expect the only thing that surprises me is Watson's inclusion as he only played 1 six nations game since returning from Injury my choice would be Visser
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 22 Mar 2017 13:58 pm said..

...what Gats wants...

More or less, I think he'll be at the same point as Wales, he knows he needs to push on and develop his game plan, with the emphasis on attack but the nagging doubts are there and he's not committed to a full on change. He'll look at Ireland's progression, and their defeat of NZ, as a blueprint rather than England's recent success. Hence why I think he'll go with Sexton at 10 and a gain liner breaker at 12, all be it one with a bit more finesse than Roberts. I think Henshaw is more what he's looking for rather than Farrell. If I tweaked my XV to include fit again players :-

Evans Best Furlong
Henderson Launchbury
Warburton Billy V Watson

Murray (Capt)
Sexton Henshaw Joesph
Daly Hogg North

Would that look more likely? Extremely unlikely but I'd also pick Jared Payne at 15 over Hogg but I think Gats will go with Hogg, if he can get past his 1/2p fixation.
stuartjames
Hero in the making

CMGC 22 Mar 2017 14:02 pm said..

The problem with pundits/ viewers polls is that they all tend to copy each other. Once several sages have rightly or wrongly pointed out that "Bloggs" had a great game you find others subconsciously copy the same viewpoint. It suddenly becomes the default opinion.
The algorithm needs to divide the score by the number of minutes on the pitch to have much meaning. Otherwise it becomes a list of those who played most.
The hooker issue if measured by how many throwins were won ignores the fact that the throwin success is only partly explained by the skill of the hooker.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby