5 Metre Scrum Penalties.

5 Metre Scrum Penalties.

King Prawn Bhuna 19 Mar 2017 14:46 pm said..

Can we now assume that if Mr Barnes isn't disciplined for the farce of the last 20 minutes of the match yesterday, then you can give unlimited scrum penalties away and it is no longer a penalty try offence. Please discuss at your leisure.
"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." .....John Lennon
King Prawn Bhuna

Re: 5 Metre Scrum Penalties.

Marble Eye 19 Mar 2017 14:51 pm said..

After which number of penalties do the laws say the ref has to give a penalty try?
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 19 Mar 2017 15:03 pm said..

As far as I'm aware, ref can only give a penalty try if he thinks the offence has stopped a certain try being scored. Barnes should have sent more players to the bin yesterday for sheer number of offence. He should also have binned guy for deliberate knock on
Not1eyed
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 19 Mar 2017 16:12 pm said..

His response to Maestri (capt) about this was that as the scrums weren't moving he couldn't give a penalty try.
stuartjames
Vice-Captain

Asgard 19 Mar 2017 16:23 pm said..

The convention (not law) that a penalty try was to be awarded after three "goal line" offences lasted about three years and that was some time ago. Law 10 covers the award of a penalty try. Worth a read.
Re. more Sin binnings - that would have played into the Welsh hands as any more would have resulted in uncontested scrums. Barnes was between a rock and a hard place and unlike most around, him including the Welsh management, he kept a cool head.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 19 Mar 2017 17:09 pm said..

Just read the Laws - I couldn't seen any possible reason why a penalty try should have been awarded, as at no time was it probable that France would have driven over the line

PS I thought Barnes handled an almost impossible situation perfectly
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
On the board

jd5 19 Mar 2017 17:10 pm said..

Bang on. Mr Barnes kept cool while all about him went mental.It wasn't pretty but I believe correct.
jd5
On a trial

Sky blue 19 Mar 2017 17:45 pm said..

I thought Barnes handled the situation very well.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Lurker 19 Mar 2017 18:03 pm said..

WB handled a very ticky situation well - including referring to 3rd official for the "biting" and the 4th official regarding who was allowed on the pitch - he did very well considering the pressure he was under
Lurker
On the board

lovejoy 20 Mar 2017 07:27 am said..

Also you have to factor in the skulduggery of the teams not making the life of the ref any easier. The French HIA needs looking at, as this is a good rule which was, perhaps, abused. The accusation of biting didn't help either.
lovejoy
Vice-Captain
Next

Return to General Discussion