5 Metre Scrum Penalties.

Re: 5 Metre Scrum Penalties.

King Prawn Bhuna 20 Mar 2017 07:58 am said..

I have no issue with Mr Barnes, as long as referees show consistency. That is what is lacking. The same as the convention of kicking away advantage from a scrum penalty.....as for feeding to the at the scrum to the feet of the number eight...ha!
"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." .....John Lennon
King Prawn Bhuna

Beddis 20 Mar 2017 08:03 am said..

The last 20 minutes were probably as challenging as it gets for a referee and Barnes did well under farcical scenes.

The first 80 minutes though were very poor and inconsistent, I doubt it's a game he will relish re-watching!
Posts: 2304  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Castle Grim Reaper 20 Mar 2017 08:39 am said..

He could have red carded the Welsh hooker for grabbing him by the shirt :o
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

caldiglaws 20 Mar 2017 10:07 am said..

After watching it again Wayne Barnes looks really peed off with the situation but did play to the laws
The BBC yesterday were reporting the French prop was swopped 11 mins into overtime it was actually 5 seconds and Barnes asking the prop was he injured was in the 80 mins
it was a new Welsh prop coming on at 97 mins which nearly caused WB to get most annoyed and caused confusion with the 4th official
I believe a lot of untrue's have been spoken and written on the subject but WB handled it as well as any ref could have done
The French props head injury caused him to limp, somebody's toothmarks appeared on Norths arm (and he didnt bite himself)neither sets of coaches covered themselves in glory during or after the 20min period
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

Herefordpropforward 20 Mar 2017 10:54 am said..

Wayne Barnes did well under such enormous pressure and in the face of such farcical situations. He did what his training has conditioned him to do - stick to the knitting pattern ie the rules and laws of the game. It is up to those who control the sport to sort it out because if they don't it will happen again. What we witnessed was the steady erosion of the culture of yesterday with the rampant professionalisation of today. Running to teacher about the bite summed it up for me - why the hell didn't George North just thump his aggressor as we were wont to do in days of old ? The game is going to hell in a hand cart.
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Vice-Captain

glawfindel 20 Mar 2017 10:58 am said..

Although Mrs G (who isn't even Welsh) was complaining bitterly about WB, I had to take his side in this

In my opinion Sir handled this well and correctly, even if my one-eyed Welsh perspective was praying for a knock-on or some other French infringement

As for the replacement of the prop...
glawfindel
On the board

Tortworth 20 Mar 2017 11:00 am said..

I don't understand why he didn't yellow card Rhys Webb for killing the ball. He had already carded Samson Lee for the same offence, and Webb's appeared blatant.
Tortworth
First team regular

ROLLO 20 Mar 2017 11:08 am said..

I think that Wayne Barnes did , as others have said , as well as he could . With a loose forward in the lock position there was only one way the Welsh scrum was going to go. I think also a little credit to Wales for bringing on Francis, they could have claimed an injury and gone to uncontested scrums- imagine the furore then.
ROLLO
Vice-Captain

Salty 20 Mar 2017 12:18 pm said..

ROLLO wrote:I think that Wayne Barnes did , as others have said , as well as he could . With a loose forward in the lock position there was only one way the Welsh scrum was going to go. I think also a little credit to Wales for bringing on Francis, they could have claimed an injury and gone to uncontested scrums- imagine the furore then.

Rollo,
When a player is replaced the team are required to state if it is a substitution or an injury replacement. This is recorded at the time. No credit at all can be given to Wales, more the opposite in fact as they indeed tried to say Francis was injured by not sending him on meaning they would go to uncontested scrums. However Mr. Barnes asked for clarification on the stated reason for the replacement and it was confirmed that Francis had not left the field through injury so Wales had to send him back on. Wales then took some time to decide who would leave the field before eventually deciding to remove Halfpenny.
Salty
First team regular

ROLLO 20 Mar 2017 14:57 pm said..

Not Sam Warburton's take on things Salty.
ROLLO
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion