Global Calendar

Global Calendar

grayjw 20 Mar 2017 16:10 pm said..

grayjw
Academy prospect

Re: Global Calendar

StroudieGlaws 20 Mar 2017 16:38 pm said..

Shouldn't this announcement have waited until the PRL meeting at the end of the month? Can't release statements willy nilly at any time of the month :D
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

glawsrugbyfan 20 Mar 2017 16:52 pm said..

Huge criticism of this so-say great outcome in The Rugby Paper yesterday.
Nick Cain's eloquent and well reasoned article saying that Beaumont and McCafferty are trying to dress it up as a superb resolution to what is the current chaotic Northern Hemisphere season....but have been suckered into a deal that gives the Southern Hemisphere just what they wanted....so we in the NH end up with an 11 month season; the SH's will be 9 months...down under they already play less rugby than we do, and this "groundbreaking solution" will not help a jot....and there's talk of replacing the much disliked Anglo-Welsh Cup with an expanded British & Irish Cup....
Last edited by glawsrugbyfan on 20 Mar 2017 22:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glawsrugbyfan
Vice-Captain

StroudieGlaws 20 Mar 2017 17:41 pm said..

So the Premiership must ckose down during the 6 nations and i am guessing Autumn Internationals ? Expanded B & I cup leaves me as unsatisfied as Anglo Welsh. A knockout cup competition before professionalism was a great idea. Now it is no longer possible perhaos it's time to forget about it. European Champions/challenge cup with Premiership would be better for player welfare as players are said to be playing too many games. With Melville's plans for Championship being more feeder clubs to Premiership I wonder if we will see a 14 team permiership 26 games a season plus europe. It would probably be less games than if we include a cup competition with a 12 team league. Not advocating this outcome just musing.
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

caldiglaws 20 Mar 2017 18:06 pm said..

so SH rugby get their team comp followed super rugby followed by pre srason int, championship, and then tours whilst we swop and change between competitions and play catch up whilst paying for the privilage beggars belief
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

Jono026 20 Mar 2017 18:58 pm said..

So if the premiership isn't ending until late June where does the Lions tours fit into this... currently any players in Prem finals will miss first two weeks of tour anyway due to playing times etc

So do they now miss 6weeks/the whole tour?? Or does that also get moved by a month?
Jono026
Vice-Captain

glawsrugbyfan 20 Mar 2017 22:37 pm said..

StroudieGlaws wrote:So the Premiership must ckose down during the 6 nations and i am guessing Autumn Internationals ? Expanded B & I cup leaves me as unsatisfied as Anglo Welsh. A knockout cup competition before professionalism was a great idea. Now it is no longer possible perhaos it's time to forget about it. European Champions/challenge cup with Premiership would be better for player welfare as players are said to be playing too many games. With Melville's plans for Championship being more feeder clubs to Premiership I wonder if we will see a 14 team permiership 26 games a season plus europe. It would probably be less games than if we include a cup competition with a 12 team league. Not advocating this outcome just musing.

The Rugby Paper had said the proposed link between Championship and Premiership clubs is dead in the water, with a greater focus on an improved A league competition.
glawsrugbyfan
Vice-Captain

StroudieGlaws 21 Mar 2017 08:56 am said..

glawsrugbyfan wrote:
StroudieGlaws wrote:So the Premiership must ckose down during the 6 nations and i am guessing Autumn Internationals ? Expanded B & I cup leaves me as unsatisfied as Anglo Welsh. A knockout cup competition before professionalism was a great idea. Now it is no longer possible perhaos it's time to forget about it. European Champions/challenge cup with Premiership would be better for player welfare as players are said to be playing too many games. With Melville's plans for Championship being more feeder clubs to Premiership I wonder if we will see a 14 team permiership 26 games a season plus europe. It would probably be less games than if we include a cup competition with a 12 team league. Not advocating this outcome just musing.

The Rugby Paper had said the proposed link between Championship and Premiership clubs is dead in the water, with a greater focus on an improved A league competition.

Thanks i hadn't seen that. Has it been confirmed officially by Melville/RFU?
I fear for the future of professional rugby as there realistically are so few clubs that have any sustainable model. Most people don't want ring fencing and want promotion and relegation but i fear there will come a time when only a small number of clubs will be truly professional.
I agree that a better A league is the best way forward as stated previously. My biggest concern regarding the 10 month season is the potential stop start of the premiership games. It's bad enough now with 2 and 3 block games. Take tv coverage and movable fixture days and times, soon it will become more and more difficult to catch live games at Kingsholm I fear.
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

Marble Eye 11 Apr 2017 13:57 pm said..

Tom Youngs has stated that the idea of a 10 month season "fills players with dread". I guess that would be echoed in the various changing rooms across the Premiership.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39567024
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

CMGC 11 Apr 2017 14:01 pm said..

I just hope that Hopley and his crew galvanise the players into taking direct action over this. The season is arguably too long already. The only hope is if the players stick together and refuse to go along woth it. The authorities will have to budge. The players need June - August off and they should stick to that. Player welfare is more important than some utopian global season. Don't suppose anything will happen however :(
CMGC
Next

Return to General Discussion