2nd row

Re: 2nd row

CMGC 31 Aug 2017 23:03 pm said..

I suspect thrush and Slater will end up being the go to pairing. however you need a couple of almost as good options to cover the bench and injuries if you want to be competitive. With Sav and MG we have that now. However JA may well see the pecking order differently so we'll see how it shapes up.
CMGC

Still Realistic 01 Sep 2017 06:10 am said..

CMGC wrote:I suspect thrush and Slater will end up being the go to pairing. however you need a couple of almost as good options to cover the bench and injuries if you want to be competitive. With Sav and MG we have that now. However JA may well see the pecking order differently so we'll see how it shapes up.

+1 Thrush & Slater would be my pairing too. I know it is akin to treason on here but for me Savage should be only 4th choice. I can't fault his attitude and commitment but for me he is a (very good) squad player that wouldn't start for a top 6 prem team.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Forrester 01 Sep 2017 06:32 am said..

Still Realistic wrote:
CMGC wrote:I suspect thrush and Slater will end up being the go to pairing. however you need a couple of almost as good options to cover the bench and injuries if you want to be competitive. With Sav and MG we have that now. However JA may well see the pecking order differently so we'll see how it shapes up.

+1 Thrush & Slater would be my pairing too. I know it is akin to treason on here but for me Savage should be only 4th choice. I can't fault his attitude and commitment but for me he is a (very good) squad player that wouldn't start for a top 6 prem team.

Agreed. He has a fantastic work rate around the park and apart from a few dumb penalties rarely lets you down. He's not dominant in the lineout though and given our scrum performance over the last few years I wouldn't say he's a great there either. For me he's a six who's a bit too big and a bit too slow so plays in the 2nd row. Good player to have in the squad but I'd definitely have him behind Slater & Thrush.
Forrester
Vice-Captain

Simmo468 01 Sep 2017 06:45 am said..

The other thing to consider is that JT and possibly MG are out of contract at the end of the season.
Will they stay? For JT I think that will depend on how the team does this year. As for MG I guess that is down to ifnhe gets an offer from Jaguars.
Do we have anyone coming through?
Simmo468
On the board

StroudieGlaws 12 Sep 2017 07:40 am said..

Does anyone know where we are with Cramond? I see he was in the Utd side. Surely he can't still be on a trial?
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 12 Sep 2017 10:30 am said..

Looking forward to Saturday, where hopefully Tigers will be under the cosh in the second row.....Thrush and Slats should just about gave it sown up.
"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." .....John Lennon
King Prawn Bhuna

Marble Eye 12 Sep 2017 16:38 pm said..

StroudieGlaws wrote:Does anyone know where we are with Cramond? I see he was in the Utd side. Surely he can't still be on a trial?

Just picked this up from the Gloucestershire Live site.....
15:37
Andy Cramond still on trial
Ackermann confirms they are still having a look at the Scottish lock and are yet to make a decision whether to offer him a contract

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... dia-462229
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Sep 2017 17:28 pm said..

Surely they must have seen enough of him to know what he's about by now?
Sheddy Mcshedface
Senior squad member

Lord Lucan 12 Sep 2017 17:40 pm said..

As he didn't secure a starting spot for the Utd I'd suggest we are not serious about him challenging for a first xv place.
Lord Lucan
Hero in the making
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby