Quins V Glos OGT

Re: Quins V Glos OGT

hairyglaws 12 Sep 2017 17:35 pm said..

Long way from OGT,but lets carry on.
Gb n Leb, a lot of the sarries players were up from the ranks,n stay,ours move on from a poor team,yet somewhere manage to walk into far better teams n start,odd no?

Bert was nabbed from the enemy ,pretty sure before he even made the first team,so pretty much all ours professional wise; stand to be corrected.
As for Robson Gb, u20 international player, thus plenty of pedigree/potential,not given enough game time.

Glaws have brought in a lot of folks who ain't exactly set the world on fire,yet played.
Ref regular league position last few years.
All the successful clubs have bloodied n played their brightest academy prospects,us less so.

This started cos I rate Vellacot,n would hate to see yet another young player leave n become the finished article elsewhere.
There is a serious pattern here.
If we were winning plenty I wouldn't give a toss,but hardly the case lately
hairyglaws
Hero in the making

DieTrying 12 Sep 2017 17:54 pm said..

robs1 wrote:
thread killer wrote:Problem is Heinz instists on putting in crappy box kicks which lead to a lot of tries and territory for the opposition. Daft kick against Exeter, daft kicks against Quins

I'm not sure it was a daft kick against ex, from where I saw it and on telly it looked like it was charged down

Neither: The was no "guard" in place at the breakdown, which let the Exe player through, who hit 57 at the same time as he kicked which skewed it. A mistake by the forwards.
DieTrying

Lebowski 12 Sep 2017 18:07 pm said..

Many of the players Sarries 'brought through the ranks' were recruited into their academy from other clubs, because they had more financial clout. The money doesn't just go on paying the first team stars, it goes on improving the academy, facilities, coaches, benefits offered etc too! Exactly what Altrad was offering us! Money, money, money as a well know Swedish band once said!

I will accept that in years gone by our academy wasn't up to scratch, but if DH has done nothing else he has improved our academy beyond recognition. Were you at KH on Sunday? Most of that A team was academy - we are in great health!

Vellacott was in the Exeter academy. They let him go! We saw the potential, picked him up, developed him and gave him a senior contract. Not a great example to back up your argument!

Were you at the open evening? DH was asked about bringing in another hooker - his response was we have two England U20 hookers and so we would only bring somebody in if he offered significantly more than they do. In other words the plan is to give them the opportunities! Sunday was an A game - not an academy game - but both hookers were the aforementioned. Off the top of my head I believe 11 of the starting team were academy, and 17 in all. That is pretty damned impressive in my book.

There isn't a 'serious pattern'! Unless, and I keep on asking, you can name all these young stars we have lost!!!!!!

As for giving youngsters a chance - this is one of the things Ackermann was known for at The Lions.
Lebowski

hairyglaws 12 Sep 2017 18:16 pm said..

Fully agree re academy,looks in rude health.Ref Vellacot,n I guess Bert in days of yore,if you don,t make the first team,happy to take as our own longer term.
We have em Leb,its about keepin em n playin em.

Realise Ackermann MO,n thats why I hope he gets to play the potential,n stop it leaving every 2 years
hairyglaws
Hero in the making

Manylayers 12 Sep 2017 18:22 pm said..

Marvellous to have your sensible perspective back Leb. Couldn't agree with you more.
Manylayers
First team regular

Lebowski 12 Sep 2017 18:28 pm said..

Totally agree, although playing the youngsters will always come with some pain in the short term (IMO) - I hope we can have a little patience.

I am 100% confident Ackermann will turn us around, but it won't happen in a few weeks. In some ways I think the opening night has rather given us unrealistic expectations.

FWIW I believe Jonny will regret his decision - maybe not in the short term but certainly in the long term. And that is despite Leicester being, undoubtedly, the biggest club in England. :)
Lebowski

Longshanks 13 Sep 2017 08:59 am said..

Freddie Clarke - recently promoted from academy scored a try on Saturday

Lewis Ludlow - Academy graduate not so long ago who against the Chiefs topped the all time Aviva Prem tackle count for a single game

Ben Vellacott - controlled the game well in the closing stages to set up the win V Chiefs

Ollie Thorley - Started in both games this season, also an academy grad

I'm sure there are many other significant contributions that i have missed and there are others knocking on the door for sure.

I personally don't think that our academy is in such ill health as others would like us to believe
Longshanks
Turns out for the A team

Glaws 13 Sep 2017 09:22 am said..

You have to remember, it's not always the results and/or game time and make certain players move on. With a few of our players in recent years that have moved, it hasn't always been as straight forward as it looked.
Glaws
Vice-Captain

Sky blue 13 Sep 2017 09:40 am said..

Longshanks wrote:Freddie Clarke - recently promoted from academy scored a try on Saturday

Lewis Ludlow - Academy graduate not so long ago who against the Chiefs topped the all time Aviva Prem tackle count for a single game

Ben Vellacott - controlled the game well in the closing stages to set up the win V Chiefs

Ollie Thorley - Started in both games this season, also an academy grad

I'm sure there are many other significant contributions that i have missed and there are others knocking on the door for sure.

I personally don't think that our academy is in such ill health as others would like us to believe

Plus...
Savage
Purdy (academy contract but actually straight into the first team squad - so may not count)
Brayley
Gareth Evans
Billy B
Trinder
Sharples
Lloyd Evans
Cameron Orr
Moriarty
It's around 35% of the squad.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 13 Sep 2017 09:58 am said..

I would remind readers that GRFC's close links with Hartpury College are as important, if not more important, than the GRFC Academy. Effectively they are one and the same.........

Whilst Hartpury continues to bring in players at 16 and/or 18 for further/higher education GRFC will continue to have a great conveyor belt on it's doorstep.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 928  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby