Points of law

Re: Points of law

Pest 11 Sep 2017 10:10 am said..

ROLLO wrote:That's Ryan Bower Oldprop came from Tigers as a 22 year old and has really worked at his game. He has captained the Cav's and in my view is very much an unsung hero, not seen him at tighthead before. Alo who he replaced is a very young lad who is good in the loose but does struggle in the scrum.
Eddie Jones was at Sixways for the second game running , shame that Nick didn't get a chance to impress but Singleton will have done himself no harm.
Agree TP17 about Wasps slowing the game down, puzzling as surely they are better with high temp approach? Perhaps they didn't want Wuss to get momentum?


Perhaps the injuries were injuries and we weren't deliberately slowing it? No offence to Wuss, but I'd suspect Wasps fitness is probably better, so slowing it down wouldn't be in our interests.
Posts: 829
Pest
On the board

Re: Points of law

King Prawn Bhuna 11 Sep 2017 10:21 am said..

No Wasps definitely slowed the tempo down at 10-10. It wasn't until the class try from WLR and Wasps got some clear water did the nonsense stop. Reminds me of Tigers in the days of old when even the referee couldn't stop the army of bibs leaping on to the field at any opportunity.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
Posts: 3708  Location: Probably in the bar....
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator

Re: Points of law

Pest 11 Sep 2017 11:29 am said..

Just watching through now, almost 30 mins in, and DOC first complains about us slowing it down at 0-10. In addition, I've not seen us "slow it down" on Wuss ball yet, it's mostly been just before scrums, and even then it's far from every set piece.

EDIT - First one on a Wuss put in (and when Flats comments we keep slowing it on theirs, but not on ours, but that's wrong, it's only been ours upto now). Johnson is down with two medics, and nearly gets subbed off. As for Wuss momentum, Wasps had almost scored, Hughes knocked on a kick from the resulting 22 drop out, and Wuss are on their 3rd scrum after the first one was pushed back and they were on the back foot so Foley called for a scrum from the knock on from Thompsons tackle, if that was Wuss's momentum, I'd hate to see what was going on when they're on the backfoot.
Posts: 829
Pest
On the board

Re: Points of law

Pest 11 Sep 2017 12:44 pm said..

Second half mainly sees Wuss with players having medical attention before set piece. 2 times it's Wasps sees the player leave the field (Myall with ankle injury, Watson with HIA).

When the accusations come, Wasps are ahead and it's nearly always their own set piece. When players may start actually needing a bit of a breather, it's not Wasps with the less than substitution level injuries.
Posts: 829
Pest
On the board

Re: Points of law

ROLLO 11 Sep 2017 12:57 pm said..

Pest I think that when you take that much trouble to reply we know we have a point, only IMHO of course. :D
Posts: 600
ROLLO
Hero in the making

Re: Points of law

Pest 11 Sep 2017 13:01 pm said..

ROLLO wrote:Pest I think that when you take that much trouble to reply we know we have a point, only IMHO of course. :D


I usually rewatch Wasps games, and it's easy enough to take 2 more seconds over each set piece :D.

Wuss were very unlucky to lose Schonert, he'd have made a big difference to us picking up a lot of penalties. I also don't think they're that bad a side, just need their fitness to improve. Whilst I suspect they'll be at the bottom half of the table, I'm far from convinced that they'll be the only relegation contenders, I reckon there'll be a few, and Wuss will be no worse off than others, especially when Hougaard returns. You certainly managed to stop us from in our phase play, Dai won't be pleased with that, our runners need to take the ball at pace a bit better, but it was good defence regardless.
Posts: 829
Pest
On the board

Re: Points of law

RossM 11 Sep 2017 15:46 pm said..

Just because DOC gets his jockstrap in a twist, doesn't mean he has a good reason. Quite why Wasps should want to slow things down is beyond me - maybe they were just being kind to the massive replacement TH. If anyone needed a breather or ten it would be him.
Posts: 152  Location: Hastings, East Sussex.
RossM
Senior squad member

Re: Points of law

Fat Taff 11 Sep 2017 15:48 pm said..

Pest wrote:
ROLLO wrote:Pest I think that when you take that much trouble to reply we know we have a point, only IMHO of course. :D


I usually rewatch Wasps games, and it's easy enough to take 2 more seconds over each set piece :D.

Wuss were very unlucky to lose Schonert, he'd have made a big difference to us picking up a lot of penalties. I also don't think they're that bad a side, just need their fitness to improve. Whilst I suspect they'll be at the bottom half of the table, I'm far from convinced that they'll be the only relegation contenders, I reckon there'll be a few, and Wuss will be no worse off than others, especially when Hougaard returns. You certainly managed to stop us from in our phase play, Dai won't be pleased with that, our runners need to take the ball at pace a bit better, but it was good defence regardless.


This is their problem. He's their best player by a long way, and they pay him to rock up for 2/3rds of the season. They're different when he plays, he gives them so much go forward, drive, and energy.

They haven't got enough real quality in the squad for him not to be a permanent fixture.
Posts: 2357
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Re: Points of law

ROLLO 11 Sep 2017 16:05 pm said..

What annoys me is that Wuss are currently subsidising SA rugby as I have yet to receive confirmation that we retrieve the full proportion of his salary. Last year he was also returned to us with an undiagnosed injury that kept him out for a further period and for which I understand we had to pay a good proportion of the medical bill.
As Fat Taff says we cannot afford to be without a player of his calibre in such a limited squad.
Posts: 600
ROLLO
Hero in the making

Re: Points of law

Pest 11 Sep 2017 20:02 pm said..

ROLLO wrote:What annoys me is that Wuss are currently subsidising SA rugby as I have yet to receive confirmation that we retrieve the full proportion of his salary. Last year he was also returned to us with an undiagnosed injury that kept him out for a further period and for which I understand we had to pay a good proportion of the medical bill.
As Fat Taff says we cannot afford to be without a player of his calibre in such a limited squad.


The injury bit was complete shizzle on behalf of SARU, really bad by them.

But even if you only have him for 2/3rds of the season, I'm sure his contract reflected that. And 2/3rds is more than enough to help avoid relegation. Lions this season are likely to miss a lot of AP gametime with rest, and then 6N, and they'll command huge paychecks too. The fact he basically saved you from relegation last season justifies his paycheck for me.
Posts: 829
Pest
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barnacle bill, Chewbacca, coleser, ElverEater, glos stirrer, mjh65, Number10, PeterD, Russglos, Somerset Lad and 52 guests