Away game preperation

Away game preperation

Glossince86 11 Sep 2017 17:40 pm said..

I believe the team travelled down on the Friday night and stayed in a hotel over night. I understand this is often donw by travelling teams so they can have a wonder around the oppo ground. However, is this something Glaws consistently did last year or is it something new thats been brought in under JA? For me, The Stoop is a 2-2.5hr cach trip so would the players not be more comfortable getting a good nights sleep in their own beds? and could this have effected them on Saturday?
Glossince86
Hero in the making

Re: Away game preperation

Sheddy Mcshedface 11 Sep 2017 18:08 pm said..

Probably clutching at straws there! Professional sportsmen are well used to being on the road so being in what's was presumably a very nice hotel for the evening won't have been a hardship. Also 2 hours plus on a coach is a lot for a bunch of big blokes.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Senior squad member

Gb83 11 Sep 2017 18:15 pm said..

Travelling and staying away probably does knock off a percent or two but as pros they should be able to deal with that. As a player I would rather travel down the night before rather than sit on a coach for three hours then play.
Gb83
Senior squad member

DieTrying 11 Sep 2017 18:31 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Probably clutching at straws there! Professional sportsmen are well used to being on the road so being in what's was presumably a very nice hotel for the evening won't have been a hardship. Also 2 hours plus on a coach is a lot for a bunch of big blokes.

It was a nice hotel: Marriot at HQ.
DieTrying

Sheddy Mcshedface 11 Sep 2017 18:34 pm said..

Also by staying the night before you aren't running the risk of getting stuck in traffic and having to rush the warm-up.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Senior squad member

Lebowski 11 Sep 2017 18:36 pm said..

They have always done it. It is about being together as a team rather than anything else.
Lebowski

Sozpr 11 Sep 2017 19:00 pm said..

Staying the night will mean a night away from young families. The Dads in the squad might get a better nights sleep!!
Last edited by Sozpr on 11 Sep 2017 19:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sozpr
Senior squad member

GlawsMDL 11 Sep 2017 19:08 pm said..

They stayed at the village hotel in elstree the night before playing Sarries last season It's probably normal practice to go the night before.
GlawsMDL
Senior squad member

Glossince86 11 Sep 2017 19:15 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:They have always done it. It is about being together as a team rather than anything else.

That was the bit I was after, I wasn't certain if they'd done it before except for a longer trip like Newks. I wasn't about to suggest the poor performance would be down to this but if it was a new thing for most players this season it could have been disruptive, but it sounds like they should be used to it.
Glossince86
Hero in the making

Lebowski 11 Sep 2017 19:17 pm said..

I may be wrong but I am fairly sure we even do it when playing Wuss.

In contrast in Rugby League, where there is much less money, all Super League teams fly to Perpignan and back in the same day when they play Catalan!
Lebowski
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby