End of an Era

End of an Era

Tim in Shropshire 12 Sep 2017 12:04 pm said..

I know this a little Off Topic but there will be plenty out there who still get their daily Glaws fix from The Citizen and the Echo, particularly given that the website is, shall we say, a little clunky. Anyway, going forward, the print version will no longer be an option, or at least only on one day a week:
http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2017/ ... ext-month/
Yes, the writing was probably on the wall some time ago and definitely a sign of the times but it's still a rather sad day for the county. When I was a youngster The Citizen was my artery to the club.
Tim in Shropshire
Vice-Captain

Re: End of an Era

David 12 Sep 2017 12:14 pm said..

"A little clunky"?!
Their website is practically unreadable - littered with unavoidable pop-ups and gibbering advertisements and mindless surveys, and the actual reports if you have the patience to get to them are mostly sensationalist and frequently also illiterate.
Hey-ho...
Bye-bye, paper Echo/Citizen.
:roll:
David
Hero in the making

stevieb 12 Sep 2017 13:32 pm said..

David wrote:"A little clunky"?!
Their website is practically unreadable - littered with unavoidable pop-ups and gibbering advertisements and mindless surveys, and the actual reports if you have the patience to get to them are mostly sensationalist and frequently also illiterate.
Hey-ho...
Bye-bye, paper Echo/Citizen.
:roll:

Indeed, fingers crossed that any costs saved on daily publication goes towards having a decent website.
stevieb
Hero in the making

glawfindel 12 Sep 2017 13:33 pm said..

I recommend using the Ghostery plug-in for Google Chrome browser - it's pretty good at eliminating unwanted stuff (like ads) from websites
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

LegendoftAutostrada 12 Sep 2017 14:04 pm said..

As an old St John's Lane hand, this saddens but does not surprise me. The writing was on the wall when The Citizen's editorial operation moved out of its circulation area to Cheltenham. For some inexplicable reason, the Echo (a far inferior product with smaller circulation) became the tail that wagged the dog.

I shall remember with some fondness the days of six editions a day with the Forest and City early editions hitting the streets around mid-day and the rumbling of the presses that shook the whole of the road and the shoppers browsing inside Marks and Spencer.
LegendoftAutostrada
Turns out for the A team

covglaws 12 Sep 2017 15:12 pm said..

Also there was the weekly Journal plus of course the Pink 'Un on Saturday. Very sad, but not surprising, the days of local press are definitely numbered. When you look at the Evening Standard with the whole of London, they went to a free sheet some time ago, given away at tube stations etc.

In this part of the world the Coventry Evening Telegraph lost the "Evening" bit, is now more or less a version of the Birmingham Post and journalism disappeared years ago, just rehashed stuff from social media, press releases and news agency stuff. Probably won't last much longer either.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 938  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
On the board

glawsrugbyfan 12 Sep 2017 15:39 pm said..

Absolutely agree Legend. The move of The Citizen out of the city was the first, and biggest mistake.
I realise that technology means that a paper can be put together on the other side of the world these days, and pages filled by reporters who spend their whole time strapped to their desks looking at a computer screen/ringing people up....BUT psychologically, shifting the office to Cheltenham (of all places) was a slap in the face to readers in the Citizen's editorial area.
Furthermore, since their group lost The Forester, the Citizen's coverage of the Dean has also dropped off.
And the various supplements that arrive in The Citizen are so Echo area biased, it's unbelievable, especially the dreadful GL weekend magazine.

That all said, I've read The Citizen for nearly 60 years, despite its recent inflationary price rises; and I'll miss it as part of my daily routine. The current rugby reporters may have made turning other people's news round into their own an art form; but generally they are better than the so-called news reporters, and reports/articles on Gloucester are always there - and now Hartpury is getting decent coverage (something our local BBC radio station could do well to match, as they seem to be unaware that we have a championship side in the county).

I'll have a look at the new Gloucestershire edition style Western Daily Press, but I already take a national daily paper...and like others on here, I can't tolerate those pop-ups on The Citizen website and won't be using it unless that issue can be sorted....

One final thought...what will the weekly paper look like? Full of pictures (like the old Gloucester Journal)? Or a more reflective newspaper with in depth analysis of local issues, including sport? I'd be more inclined to buy the latter....

All in all, very sad....but inevitable. Just hope The Citizen name doesn't die with the hard copy paper.
Last edited by glawsrugbyfan on 12 Sep 2017 16:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glawsrugbyfan
Vice-Captain

Lebowski 12 Sep 2017 15:43 pm said..

I regularly look at the online version, and while I also find the adverts annoying I understand why they are there. I don't expect a business to give me free access to their product without some trade off - staggered that some seemingly do! They are also not that difficult to minimise if it is that big an issue.
Lebowski

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Sep 2017 15:50 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:I regularly look at the online version, and while I also find the adverts annoying I understand why they are there. I don't expect a business to give me free access to their product without some trade off - staggered that some seemingly do! They are also not that difficult to minimise if it is that big an issue.

Tbh i don't think most peoples issue with the website is the existence of adverts. It is the fact that they render the website virtually unreadable at times and it is painfully slow as a result. Other newspapers are able to get the balance right but the citizen just seems to be awful!
Sheddy Mcshedface
Senior squad member

stevieb 12 Sep 2017 15:55 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:I regularly look at the online version, and while I also find the adverts annoying I understand why they are there. I don't expect a business to give me free access to their product without some trade off - staggered that some seemingly do! They are also not that difficult to minimise if it is that big an issue.

Yes Andy, but there are 'ads which help pay for the site' and there is utter rubbish which fills the whole screen, moves what you are reading around and the page filled with click bait etc. Plus as David says, a lot of the actual content is also very poor quality, riddled with errors and mistakes.
stevieb
Hero in the making
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby