'Big Announcement'

Re: 'Big Announcement'

TheOptimistSenior 14 Sep 2017 10:25 am said..

OG, I suspect that in the perfect soviet state of the 60s, for which Burgess, McLean and Philby gave themselves so selflessly, there was only one cabbage recipe, not written down, but passed from generation to generation. Most of them probably never had an education sufficient to read one, let alone 101 recipes!!
I don't see this announcement as spin, after all there was no twisting the truth. It's only a matter of opinion what constitutes important news. I'm very glad they increased their sponshorship, rather than did not even renew it.
TheOptimistSenior
Senior squad member

Chalker 14 Sep 2017 10:25 am said..

Worth logging on this morning just to read OG's and GM's contributions.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Oxford Glaws 14 Sep 2017 10:26 am said..

I think you are in error Baz. The is not MSQ that is, in fact, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (if I am not mistaken, announcing the Morris Motors sponsorship deal outside Keble College in 1923).
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

Oxford Glaws 14 Sep 2017 10:33 am said..

TheOptimistSenior wrote:OG, I suspect that in the perfect soviet state of the 60s, for which Burgess, McLean and Philby gave themselves so selflessly, there was only one cabbage recipe, not written down, but passed from generation to generation. Most of them probably never had an education sufficient to read one, let alone 101 recipes!!
I don't see this announcement as spin, after all there was no twisting the truth. It's only a matter of opinion what constitutes important news. I'm very glad they increased their sponshorship, rather than did not even renew it.

Yes, all Cambridge men, note.

I wasn't suggesting this was spin, just that the reaction of those who have not been dancing in the streets at the news may have been coloured by a surfeit of the stuff in the past. As I said in my original post, it is undoubtedly good news.
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 14 Sep 2017 11:27 am said..

Oxford Glaws wrote:Yes, all Cambridge men, note.

I wasn't suggesting this was spin, just that the reaction of those who have not been dancing in the streets at the news may have been coloured by a surfeit of the stuff in the past. As I said in my original post, it is undoubtedly good news.

OG, I do undestand you were not saying that you saw this as spin.
Your comment that they were all Cambridge men was the point I was trying (and failing miserably) to make. If Cambridge fostered a soviet "love-in", why would Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (AKA Lenin, an alias) be in front of Keble College, Oxford? I suspect, without in any way casting aspersions on Baz or you, that he was in fact in front of Trinity College, Cambridge, campaining for agricultural workers in East Anglia, or making a deal with them to supply cabbage to Soviet Russia. If he had been in Oxford, I suspect George Smiley, of Lincoln College, would have been "on his case".
TheOptimistSenior
Senior squad member

Oxford Glaws 14 Sep 2017 13:37 pm said..

Trinity would certainly make sense TOS, as they own Felixtowe Docks and it would be much easier to bring in the sealed train (as well as getting the cabbages out).

Speaking of the traitors, I was at a particularly lavish feast in one of the Cambridge colleges last year (I'd better not say which one) and found myself seated next to a particularly grand chap, done up not only in white tie, but wearing a string of medals (I was clearly part of the common herd in my black tie). I looked at his place card and saw that he had a knighthood, so I asked him what he got it for. He replied very sniffily that he had been Keeper of the Queen's Pictures. Having taken full advantage of the college's hospitality by that point, I thought I'd wind the old boy up and said mischievously, "So you worked for Anthony Blunt then?".

I thought he was about to have a Porterhouse Blue right there on the spot. It was clear I had gone over the top. "Anthony," he replied coldly, "worked for ME!"

(Funny you should mention Lincoln, I was there at a meeting just now - no one was polishing their spectacles with their tie though.)
Last edited by Oxford Glaws on 14 Sep 2017 14:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

RogerofSals 14 Sep 2017 13:49 pm said..

Careful chaps this is beginning to look like an episode of Morse :D
RogerofSals
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 14 Sep 2017 14:19 pm said..

episode of Morse
- can I play Lewis please ?

Anyway, this thread has degenerated into quite an edumacated one and it needs to stop right now.

Regarding the announcement itself, it's probably best if one distinguishes between on and off filed matters, however connected they may be.
Posts: 3148  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby