Team for Tigers

Re: Team for Tigers

Welly 15 Sep 2017 12:15 pm said..

hairyglaws wrote:How many games those locks got between em Welly?
Through the academy?

Prem
Wells 1 start, 2 bench games
Maksymiw 0

LV/AWC
Wells 9 starts 5 bench
Maksymiw 2 starts 3 bench

Both Academy products, Wells spent a couple seasons at Bedford before coming back when he was 21 Think he is 23 currently
Basically did a Twelvetrees.

Maksymiw is 21, been on loan to Linwood club in New zealand over the summer and been on loan to donnie before that.

So they SHOULD both be able to hold up phycially at this level now but we will see.
Last edited by Welly on 15 Sep 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly
On the board

Opportunist 15 Sep 2017 12:17 pm said..

Glad to see Slater get his first start, I'm sure he'll be fired up against his old club. Leicester have an inexperienced second row, but probably the best front row in the league, it's going to be a big challenge for Matu'u and Hohneck. Their back line is very good and could click at any time so we need to put in a big defensive shift

I wouldn't normally expect us to get anything from Welford Road, but this is a game for us to target, hopefully we can at least get a LBP.
Opportunist
Hero in the making

upton dc 15 Sep 2017 12:23 pm said..

Ashtennisguru wrote:^^^ Exactly - I suspect he's looking to see what combinations work well together and what combinations will eventually suit his preferred systems/style.

I think we can expect to see quite a bit of rotation up until maybe the new year and then maybe we'll see things settle down a bit.

The experimenting should have been done pre-season in an ideal world. JA has not had the time to assess his squad in detail. No doubt experimentation will continue until Xmas. By then our season could effectively be over. Bring on next season.....
Panache et Precision
upton dc
Hero in the making

hairyglaws 15 Sep 2017 12:25 pm said..

Cheers Welly,ballsy selection,no doubt injury based I assume.We have loads out as well,obvs part of modern game,but to start season with so many out already,says something
We gotta seriously target the lineout,fancy Thrush to nick a few.
hairyglaws
Hero in the making

Fat Taff 15 Sep 2017 12:26 pm said..

Given who is unavailable for selection, that's not a bad looking side. Purdey for Thorley perhaps?
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Sep 2017 12:27 pm said..

upton dc wrote:
Ashtennisguru wrote:^^^ Exactly - I suspect he's looking to see what combinations work well together and what combinations will eventually suit his preferred systems/style.

I think we can expect to see quite a bit of rotation up until maybe the new year and then maybe we'll see things settle down a bit.

The experimenting should have been done pre-season in an ideal world. JA has not had the time to assess his squad in detail. No doubt experimentation will continue until Xmas. By then our season could effectively be over. Bring on next season.....

Suspect its more about selecting from the players that are available and dropping those underperformed to give others a chance. JA was quite clear at the beginning of the year that he needs a full squad to be contributing to get us where we want to go but by all means write off our season after 2 games!
Sheddy Mcshedface
Vice-Captain

Gb83 15 Sep 2017 12:38 pm said..

upton dc wrote:

I like that he is experimenting and trying different combinations out, pre season is good for fitness etc but it's pressure free, the real test happens in competitive games.

JA has 5 years or so to repair, there shouldn't be any expectations on this season other than remaining in the premiership, JA and the squad need a season together.
Gb83
Vice-Captain

Welly 15 Sep 2017 12:41 pm said..

hairyglaws wrote:Cheers Welly,ballsy selection,no doubt injury based I assume.We have loads out as well,obvs part of modern game,but to start season with so many out already,says something
We gotta seriously target the lineout,fancy Thrush to nick a few.

We have out injured at lock alone Barrow, Kitchener, Fitzgerald.

I mean in general we have out injured.
Rizzo, Cilliers, Beaumann, McGuigan, Barrow, Kitchener, Fitzgerald, O'Connor, Manu, Brady, Thompstone,

out of those pro 9 would be ahead of current 23 players.
Welly
On the board

Welly 15 Sep 2017 12:42 pm said..

upton dc wrote:

Disagree a big big big difference between how players perform in pre-season and in a comp game.

It can give you an idea at times, but you don't really know till the season starts.
Welly
On the board

Mark from Stroud 15 Sep 2017 13:37 pm said..

Anybody seen anything of Halaifonua this season? He's not down as unavailable for selection:

Unavailable for selection:
Mark Atkinson, Fraser Balmain, Callum Braley, Mariano Galarza, Tom Marshall, Paddy McAllister, Ben Morgan, Ross Moriarty, Andy Symons, Owen Williams
Mark from Stroud
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby