Interesting statement from Wuss MD

Re: Interesting statement from Wuss MD

Asgard 21 Sep 2017 10:02 am said..

We already have a ring fenced Premiership in everything other than name. The crowd stats can be argued over but if Gloucester with 15000 spectators and full commercial backing can't attract a new investor what chance Ealing, Pirates etc?
Oh yes, and there was the likes of Exeter, a success once every Preston Guild.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

shawnsheep 21 Sep 2017 11:28 am said..

SonofPricey 20 Sep 2017 21:50 pm said..
Out of interest if one of the clubs that 'went to the wall' was Gloucester, how would you feel?

As long as they have a chance to get back, then thats sport.

Under your scenario, if Gloucester go down this year, how would you feel with no way back?
shawnsheep
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 21 Sep 2017 11:32 am said..

Every time the concept of ring fencing comes up people will say "what about clubs lower down who might suddenly get investment/sugar daddy and come shooting up the leagues" but surely this just exacerbates the problem of clubs potentially going to the wall.

Other than Bristol and at a stretch Cornish Pirates who outside the premiership currently could say they have the realistic prospect of getting promoted with their current setup.

I dislike the concept of ring-fencing as much as the next man but really I fail to see any other way for the future of professional rugby in England.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Senior squad member

lucifer 21 Sep 2017 12:44 pm said..

Coventry, Bedford, Plymouth, Leeds, Nottingham for starters
lucifer
Vice-Captain

robs1 21 Sep 2017 12:52 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Every time the concept of ring fencing comes up people will say "what about clubs lower down who might suddenly get investment/sugar daddy and come shooting up the leagues" but surely this just exacerbates the problem of clubs potentially going to the wall.

Other than Bristol and at a stretch Cornish Pirates who outside the premiership currently could say they have the realistic prospect of getting promoted with their current setup.

I dislike the concept of ring-fencing as much as the next man but really I fail to see any other way for the future of professional rugby in England.

Hasnt done much for the pro12 small crowds rarely put their best teams out so they can keep them for the champ cup, IMVHO that is not only taking the mick out of their fans but is likely to wreck the whole setup and will TV money keep going into it and a ring fenced prem if games are not competitive and have the best players turning out giving it their all
robs1
Hall of Famer

Marble Eye 21 Sep 2017 13:08 pm said..

shawnsheep wrote:
Out of interest if one of the clubs that 'went to the wall' was Gloucester, how would you feel?

Under your scenario, if Gloucester go down this year, how would you feel with no way back?

There is no way that ring fencing would not include Gloucester.
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 21 Sep 2017 18:09 pm said..

Marble Eye wrote:
shawnsheep wrote:

There is no way that ring fencing would not include Gloucester.

True - although I think Gloucester would stand little chance to be included within a ring fenced European league.
Clive's Pants
Vice-Captain

RTS2 21 Sep 2017 18:29 pm said..

[/quote]
True - although I think Gloucester would stand little chance to be included within a ring fenced European league.[/quote][/quote]

Agreed CP. I don't think we'd like that scenario either ! ;)
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Marble Eye 22 Sep 2017 09:16 am said..

I think Gloucester would stand little chance to be included within a ring fenced European league.

I wouldn't agree with the "little chance". I think there would be general agreement on those teams that would be included and those teams that would not be. However, I believe that Gloucester would be in a group of teams that could quite possibly be in a European league. It would all come down to the size/format of the league (12 teams or up to 20 teams with "conferences" and playoffs); the criteria for inclusion and whether all Six Nations would have representation (that's the only way I could see any Italian team being included for example).
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby