Sean O'Brien says team could have won 3-0 with better coachi

Re: Sean O'Brien says team could have won 3-0 with better co

CMGC 21 Sep 2017 16:50 pm said..

Always a pointless discussion as you can't go back and you'll never know what the options could have provided. SOB may or may not be right. It doesn't matter much now. All that does is what they do in SA next time. Hopefully we can find a N. Hemisphere coaching team as I always think that is the way it should be done. I'm Sure EJ would love to do it and he would do an excellent job but it should be a UK /Ire coach. However there's isn't much in the locker with experience so we'll have to wait and see.
CMGC

Fat Taff 22 Sep 2017 09:11 am said..

Gatland has asked to meet him to clarify his views and now SOB is back peddling for all he's worth

“I have nothing but respect for Warren and the whole coaching team.”

Oh, really?
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Herefordpropforward 22 Sep 2017 10:03 am said..

TocH lamps spring to mind !
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Vice-Captain

David 22 Sep 2017 10:05 am said..

Fat Taff wrote:Gatland has asked to meet him to clarify his views and now SOB is back peddling for all he's worth

“I have nothing but respect for Warren and the whole coaching team.”

Oh, really?

In the car-park ...
:lol:
David
Hero in the making

Lewi7 22 Sep 2017 11:24 am said..

- Indeed, O'Brien is now back tracking, in an attempt to clarify his remarks !
- Howley - he was probably the best available, the operative word is "available".
- I maintain that to have achieved what they did in the circumstances, prep time etc went far beyond what most thought possible. Has anyone ever beaten the All Blacks 3-0 ?
- Billy V - he wasnt on the tour; he's obviously sucking up to Eddie
- In some ways, a coach either allowing or through empowerment, two very experienced and existing Lions to run the show is to be comended. Coaches are often criticised for over coaching, so allowing players more freedom is no bad thing.
Howley - he may / may not get the top job when Gats leaves in a couple of years, but a certain coaching partnership at the Scarlets are very much in line to replace Gats & Co.
Posts: 3192  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Fat Taff 22 Sep 2017 12:19 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:- Indeed, O'Brien is now back tracking, in an attempt to clarify his remarks !
- Howley - he was probably the best available, the operative word is "available".
- I maintain that to have achieved what they did in the circumstances, prep time etc went far beyond what most thought possible. Has anyone ever beaten the All Blacks 3-0 ?
- Billy V - he wasnt on the tour; he's obviously sucking up to Eddie
- In some ways, a coach either allowing or through empowerment, two very experienced and existing Lions to run the show is to be comended. Coaches are often criticised for over coaching, so allowing players more freedom is no bad thing.
Howley - he may / may not get the top job when Gats leaves in a couple of years, but a certain coaching partnership at the Scarlets are very much in line to replace Gats & Co.

Prior to the Lions loss, they'd only lost four times at home in fourteen years, yet SOB thought they could be beaten three times in three weeks.

Okay.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 22 Sep 2017 12:31 pm said..

Ah, do I detect the Welsh clan gathering their loincloths to defend their man....? ;)
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Fat Taff 22 Sep 2017 12:36 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Ah, do I detect the Welsh clan gathering their loincloths to defend their man....? ;)

Nope, go back a few months and you'll find me calling Howley unfit for purpose.

This from one of SOB's team mates.

“People ask how you feel about the drawn series and I think we held our own down there. We were unbelievably well prepared when we landed, and whatever we were hit with we were able to throw it back at them. We ticked off everything and we did unbelievably well."

He's come out of this looking an utter bell.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 22 Sep 2017 13:49 pm said..

No KPB, not a Howley fan. He's become more of an analyst than a coach. His knowledge of how teams attack and defend is very impressive, but I think he struggles in getting his point across.

Saying all that last Autumn Wales recovered from a stuffing by the Aussies to win the remaining 3 AI's and he's been part of Lions success as a player and coach now on 3 tours. Fine margin losing in SA in 09, winning in Aus in '13 and now this year in NZ, plus he's won Grand Slams and the 6nations with Wales, so there is obviously a more than capable aspect to him.
Posts: 3192  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

King Prawn Bhuna 22 Sep 2017 13:55 pm said..

Caught two with a single fly.... :D
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby