Out of the Sale darkness, a flicker of hope

Out of the Sale darkness, a flicker of hope

LowerO 07 Oct 2017 08:39 am said..

It's encouraging that the Sale game showed a marked improvement on the thing that has frustrated me more than anything else for the past few seasons... our lack of possession. Last Friday the team had 64% possession and 67% territory - a huge improvement on anything that has gone before. Every week, home or away, we seem to fail to retain the ball for more than a few phases, and spend long periods tackling the opposition for a fleeting sight of the ball. If JA can turn this stat around, then I believe it will be the foundation for everything else to follow.

Whilst the halcyon days of the early noughties are now a distant memory, I have stuck through the rollercoaster times. Although it's not been a dominant or trophy laden period, there have been many many exciting moments, and even in the lower reaches of the Premiership, some fantastic entertainment to justify my continued investment.

Could things improve? Of course, and the possession statistic from last Friday suggests that we may be seeing the beginning of a new dawn. Will it be false, or fantastic...? I don't know, but I'll continue on the rollercoaster for now! Strap in, here we go!!
LowerO
Senior squad member

Re: Out of the Sale darkness, a flicker of hope

kingsholmmick 07 Oct 2017 09:14 am said..

Hope springs eternal ! Let’s hope Williams first start is a memorable one.
kingsholmmick
Hero in the making

Not1eyed 07 Oct 2017 10:33 am said..

64% possession and 67% territory is be expecting a team to win 57-10.
Time to draw a line under last Friday. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
Not1eyed
Hero in the making

SpiralScratch 07 Oct 2017 10:52 am said..

I'm generally confident with where Akkers is taking the team - but must admit I'm not confident about today. The back 3 fielded last week really didn't seem to work together and our current injury list gives us no other options at the moment - feels like too much to fix in a week. If the lineout is sorted think it'll be close - but think we are too limited by injury for now - would be delighted to be wrong of course . . .
SpiralScratch
Hero in the making

torchy6 07 Oct 2017 13:30 pm said..

Agree with you Lower O about possession, we need the same dominance in the line out and stop the silly errors in the red zone (more of Trinder's wonder try) and we will be difficult to beat. Onwards and upwards with Ackers.
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

kingsholmmick 08 Oct 2017 18:57 pm said..

i watched saracens demolish saints in that opening game (via bt) and thought that saints would be a bottom 4 team this season - they were abysmal !!!! just like us at sale( with much less territory and possession) - they then won their next 4 games until arriving at the `holm. so i think there is that glimmer of hope, especially after yesterday, that 1 game isn`t an accurate guide to our season ! sure we have to learn to win away or convince the prem that we should play all 22 games at the `holm ;)
kingsholmmick
Hero in the making

Return to Gloucester Rugby