Onward and upwards

Re: Onward and upwards

mjad 08 Oct 2017 06:10 am said..

Sorry to carry on the good news - I've been looking at the results of the last 4 seasons (our period of 8/9th) against each team to see if we've progressed this season. I've taken the average of the number of points we got for each team, home & away. The par position for this season is 45 points.

The position to date is we have 14 points - against an average of 11.83 for the matches we've played so far, so we're up on where we've been recently (after the next match we will be up as we've averaged 1.25pts at the wreck)
Regards
Michael
Posts: 465  Location: Swindon
mjad
Vice-Captain

Re: Onward and upwards

Biffo 08 Oct 2017 06:40 am said..

mjad wrote:The position to date is we have 14 points - against an average of 11.83 for the matches we've played so far, so we're up on where we've been recently (after the next match we will be up as we've averaged 1.25pts at the wreck)

Averages mean nothing. If the average man drinks 2 pints of beer a day, that means some drink 4 pints a day while others drink nothing. In the Barf case 1.25 pts a match equals one match with 5 points and three matches with nothing. Totally meaningless.
Posts: 692
Biffo
Hero in the making

Re: Onward and upwards

mjad 08 Oct 2017 07:29 am said..

Biffo wrote:
mjad wrote:The position to date is we have 14 points - against an average of 11.83 for the matches we've played so far, so we're up on where we've been recently (after the next match we will be up as we've averaged 1.25pts at the wreck)

Averages mean nothing. If the average man drinks 2 pints of beer a day, that means some drink 4 pints a day while others drink nothing. In the Barf case 1.25 pts a match equals one match with 5 points and three matches with nothing. Totally meaningless.


Sorry, if averages mean nothing to you, but for some of us, they're a way to quantify if there's been progress over the relevant period.
Regards
Michael
Posts: 465  Location: Swindon
mjad
Vice-Captain

Re: Onward and upwards

Biffo 08 Oct 2017 08:21 am said..

mjad wrote:
Biffo wrote:
mjad wrote:The position to date is we have 14 points - against an average of 11.83 for the matches we've played so far, so we're up on where we've been recently (after the next match we will be up as we've averaged 1.25pts at the wreck)

Averages mean nothing. If the average man drinks 2 pints of beer a day, that means some drink 4 pints a day while others drink nothing. In the Barf case 1.25 pts a match equals one match with 5 points and three matches with nothing. Totally meaningless.


Sorry, if averages mean nothing to you, but for some of us, they're a way to quantify if there's been progress over the relevant period.

I would rather have a LBP very year than getting points only once in 4 years. An LBP indicates a close game whereas 0 points probably means we were on the end of a whipping.
Posts: 692
Biffo
Hero in the making

Re: Onward and upwards

Severus 08 Oct 2017 11:03 am said..

caldiglaws wrote:And the team seem to want want to enjoy the game
I am watching Ospreys Scarlets at present and if both teams put as much effort into playing the game as they do to the gamesmanship it would be a better game
The ref has warned them for constant appealing for cards taking players out at the ruck and restarts
We know all teams play to the limits of the laws but some teams think they are allowed to get away with the same as the All Blacks :roll: :P :shock:

Might be a Welsh thing. Owen Williams got a talking to by Barnes for appealing for a yellow for Hartley for not allowing Heinz to go 10 after a quickly taken penalty. Barnes said he would’ve binned him otherwise, good reffing.
Posts: 637
Severus
Hero in the making

Re: Onward and upwards

Severus 08 Oct 2017 11:05 am said..

James J wrote:
Bogblaster wrote:Any idea why from Northampton kick in the first half we took a quick lineout, it was taken by our player within the 22 and he then kicked to touch. Whereby the linesman then went back to where he kicked it out from?


I think it was said in commentary that the player who caught it was in a position where he would have been outside the 22 if he was on the pitch, then went back into the 22 to pass it. Still counts as taking it back in.

The ball went out of play outside the 22 so had the lineout been taken from there we wouldn’t have been allowed to kick straight to touch. It’s not where the player outside the pitch catches it, it’s where the ball went out of play (I think)
Posts: 637
Severus
Hero in the making
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barnacle bill, Castle Grim Reaper, Fat Taff, Lewi7, Localyokel, Longwayhome, Mark from Stroud, Noobs, Opportunist, Pipnick, Sheddy Mcshedface, Snevets49, Theotherjonny, torchy6, Tortworth and 47 guests