Yesterday's crowd - according to The Sunday Times

Yesterday's crowd - according to The Sunday Times

Biffo 08 Oct 2017 09:06 am said..

According to The Sunday Times yesterday's crowd was 16,500. I'm sure the club will be pleased with the additional 3,789 bums on seats from the 12,711 that were announced during the game.
Biffo
Hero in the making

Re: Yesterday's crowd - according to The Sunday Times

GlawsyD 08 Oct 2017 09:18 am said..

The 16500 is our capacity - journalism at its finest, again.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 08 Oct 2017 09:58 am said..

I've no idea who wrote the piece, but a word in his / her defence. The deadline for the ST is probably just a few minutes - maybe 20 - after the final whistle, and they would have to get downstairs to get a few quotes before they filed their copy. The attendance figures usually get circulated on a scrap of paper midway through the 2H, and as you will recall, there was a lot going on in the last 40 minutes yesterday! Remember, they're writing their report during the match, and I promise you, in a high-scoring game it's sometimes very tough to keep up with things...who scored, what the move was like, the time of the score, etc.

I suspect that whoever it was just timed out on including that number (which, in the greater scheme of things is far less relevant than who scored, etc)

It could even be that they didn't include the attendance in their copy, and a sub-editor simply took a punt that it was a sell-out - he'd be under huge time pressure too.

What did the report say about the quality of the pasties and the beer? :D
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 08 Oct 2017 10:05 am said..

16500 isn't even right as the capacity, as It's 16121.
DieTrying

Mackemglaws 08 Oct 2017 10:18 am said..

Journalists!!!! What are they like??
Mackemglaws
Hall of Famer

Chalker 08 Oct 2017 10:49 am said..

12,711, I am surprised, although the atmosphere suggested there were more people present than my eyes told me. My colleague and I both predicted the late 11,000's. Missed the announcement of tickets sold.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Biffo 08 Oct 2017 11:33 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I've no idea who wrote the piece, but a word in his / her defence. The deadline for the ST is probably just a few minutes - maybe 20 - after the final whistle, and they would have to get downstairs to get a few quotes before they filed their copy. The attendance figures usually get circulated on a scrap of paper midway through the 2H, and as you will recall, there was a lot going on in the last 40 minutes yesterday! Remember, they're writing their report during the match, and I promise you, in a high-scoring game it's sometimes very tough to keep up with things...who scored, what the move was like, the time of the score, etc. I suspect that whoever it was just timed out on including that number (which, in the greater scheme of things is far less relevant than who scored, etc) It could even be that they didn't include the attendance in their copy, and a sub-editor simply took a punt that it was a sell-out - he'd be under huge time pressure too.

The journo was Steven Jones, the ST's most experienced rugby correspondent, who often looks upon Kingsholm as his second home. Like him or loathe him, there's no way he wouldn't have included the correct figure. A few years ago he was a guest at a fans forum and said that it often amused him that in the old days of pay at the gate and no tickets, the crowd was always announced as around 4,500 when it was often nearer a full house. He suggested the 4500 was "for income tax purposes!"
Biffo
Hero in the making

Bogblaster 08 Oct 2017 16:17 pm said..

I'm fortunate enough to be in the 1873 Club and it was disappointing to see that there were plenty of empty seats on the balcony. What frustrates even more the seats in front of mine were empty and to my right there was a Northampton fan who spent more time on his feet when there was actually no need for him to be.

I'm therefore surmising that if a member doesn't want to go he instructs the club to resell his seats and anyone can buy them?

Anyway, great win and I had a great day!
Bogblaster
Turns out for the A team

Lebowski 08 Oct 2017 16:38 pm said..

Nothing to do with our attendance but Austin Healey made me laugh commentating on the Irish-Leicester game. Irish opted to kick for goal when 21-3 down and Nick Mullins said something like "Oz you're frowning at that decision" to which he replied "Me and the 400 people in the crowd". :lol: :lol:
Lebowski

GlawsDan 08 Oct 2017 16:57 pm said..

I presume the journalist is related to Donald Trump??
GlawsDan
First team regular

Return to Gloucester Rugby