Ross can stay perhaps?

Ross can stay perhaps?

hairyglaws 09 Oct 2017 06:42 am said..

Does this mean we could keep Ross long term?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/4154713

Incidentally what are the ££ figures bandied about? Can Scarlets really outbid us?
hairyglaws
Hero in the making

Re: Ross can stay perhaps?

Porky 09 Oct 2017 07:07 am said..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41547139

I think the original link has been changed to this one.

As I read it, Ross will have to play in Wales to continue being selected if they move to the model being discussed by this panel of "experts". He is nowhere near 60 caps yet (he has 17 at the moment) so we at Glaws are under as much threat of losing him as before, probably even more so as the suggestion is Gatland will not be allowed any exceptions.

The scheme outlined here, effectively means the WRU will force Ross to move to Wales or give up on international rugby. I hope I am wrong and, however much I understand the sentiment behind the move and desire to support the Welsh regions, this looks like restraint of trade.

As the panel say, no-one would blame Rhys Webb for doing the best for himself and his family at this stage of his career.....well some diehard Welsh fans will probably troll him on FaceTwit....but anyone else would probably understand.

Ross is at a very different stage of his career and is virtually being forced to leave his current club and return to Wales, where he has lived but never played club or regional rugby. Leaves a nasty taste.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hero in the making

SirHenry 09 Oct 2017 08:21 am said..

The SPSP does not affect players who signed contracts with clubs outside Wales before the policy was introduced, such as Luke Charteris at Bath and Tomas Francis at Exeter.

Not sure if that is also pertinent to any changes, but if so sign him up on long term deal quick...
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hero in the making

ElephantJuice 09 Oct 2017 08:42 am said..

Porky wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41547139

As I read it, Ross will have to play in Wales to continue being selected if they move to the model being discussed by this panel of "experts". He is nowhere near 60 caps yet (he has 17 at the moment) so we at Glaws are under as much threat of losing him as before, probably even more so as the suggestion is Gatland will not be allowed any exceptions.

The scheme outlined here, effectively means the WRU will force Ross to move to Wales or give up on international rugby. I hope I am wrong and, however much I understand the sentiment behind the move and desire to support the Welsh regions, this looks like restraint of trade.

As the panel say, no-one would blame Rhys Webb for doing the best for himself and his family at this stage of his career.....well some diehard Welsh fans will probably troll him on FaceTwit....but anyone else would probably understand.

Ross is at a very different stage of his career and is virtually being forced to leave his current club and return to Wales, where he has lived but never played club or regional rugby. Leaves a nasty taste.

Surely it’s a restriction of trade - likely illegal if challenged through the courts...
ElephantJuice
Vice-Captain

Glossince86 09 Oct 2017 09:29 am said..

Just to confirm, which contract does the player have to sign before Gatland’s law came into effect? If Moriarty signed his original contract with a gloucester before then and re-signs. Does this count as a continuation of the original contract this excluding him from Gatland’s law or a new one?
Glossince86
Hero in the making

Lewi7 09 Oct 2017 09:37 am said..

England manage to select on English based players, excluding those playing elsewhere, this isn't regarded as restraint of trade.

I think there is real recognition that the Regions and WRU combined with the dual contracts cannot compete with French & English Clubs, whilst Gatland and the WRU want to be able to field their strongest team.

The new amended policy may not apply to those already playing outside Wales and still under contract, but it may apply to those who leave after a certain date in the future. The level of caps can always be altered too.
Posts: 3192  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Chalker 09 Oct 2017 09:42 am said..

It would have been easier for Glaws if Ross had stayed 'English' ;)
Chalker
Hall of Famer

madjake 09 Oct 2017 10:13 am said..

Porky wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41547139

If they change things the chance of him staying will increase. If higher capped players are excluded (biggar, north and faletau) that frees up the the spaces for Ross to have.....
madjake
Hero in the making

Lebowski 09 Oct 2017 10:46 am said..

Lewi England have a straight policy - simple and no exceptions. What I dislike is the idea that it's okay for some but not others. Ross has come through our academy and always been a Gloucester player but is being forced to leave at the same time it's fine for Liam Williams to join Saracens etc.

It is clear he is going to be forced to leave and it seems there is nothing the club can do - and who gives a rat's arse for the supporters? Certainly not the WRU.

With the May and Burns fiascos too I am increasingly thinking we are better off with SA and NZ players throughout the squad! :(
Lebowski

King Prawn Bhuna 09 Oct 2017 10:49 am said..

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the Welsh selection situation and things Gatlandesque.

So does the issue start with RM if he 'goes out of contract' as Lewi says?

In which case they would have him by the s&c's as he would HAVE to go back to Wales, but only to the highest bidder that they can muster, not necessarily his actual market worth?

In which case wouldn't he be better just extending his Glawster one and squeezing the last penny from his current club.

My understanding is that THIS is what our Mr Humphreys is actually paid to sort out....and where he earns his corn. If he can't keep RM then I think questions may need to be asked. Although the WRU might make this mission impossible for him at the end of the day.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby