Ross can stay perhaps?

Re: Ross can stay perhaps?

Dadofvik 09 Oct 2017 10:52 am said..

For the life of me I can’t understand what is happening in Wales. If they proceed with this idea of only picking a limited number of players outside the Welsh rugby scene (3?), then I can’t see them being a force for a long time. As I see it, there are at least six players who would be first choices, playing in England alone.
These could include Faletau and Priestland at Bath, the prop at Exeter, two at Gloucester (Williams bring a high reserve), others at Northampton, Saracens and others I can’t think of off the top of my forgetful head!
Could be very difficult for
them in the next world cup, as the players in the Pro14 will lack experience of playing at a constantly high and hard level.
Dadofvik
Vice-Captain

Longshanks 09 Oct 2017 10:54 am said..

Lewi7 wrote:England manage to select on English based players, excluding those playing elsewhere, this isn't regarded as restraint of trade.

I understand where you are coming from here but realistically England have a choice of 12 well funded clubs, Wales have just 4 which can be very limiting for aspects such as player development. This alongside the higher salaries offered elsewhere that simply cant be matched makes it very difficult for top players to stay in these clubs. I do agree with you though and understand that such a policy needs to be implemented for the long term good of the Welsh regional teams and ultimately the international one.
Longshanks
Turns out for the A team

Lewi7 09 Oct 2017 11:04 am said..

Yes, I was responding to Porky's comment earlier in the thread.

Dadofvik - Of the players playing outside Wales some are captured by the current policy, others aren't. This season Gatland can select 4 wild cards, ie: 4 players captured by the policy, in 2 years time that reduces to 2.

The regions and WRU recognise they can't compete financially and are seriously considering changing the policy to something like the Aussie policy.
Posts: 3135  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

CMGC 09 Oct 2017 11:11 am said..

I hope for Glos that RM stays under whatever options exists. however The Welsh situation is different. NZ and Eng have a simple policy. You play in our country if you want to be selected. ( I think Ire do the same ? ) clearly that is 3 of the top sides. The OZ one is close to it.
NZ have 5 teams to pick from. Seems to work fine. Wales can work with 4. If Wales want the their best players in Wales then that is what they need to do. Look at where SA are going with players leaving everywhere. The current ruling is a mess.
I suggest they follow the simple rule asap. It will cause short term tears but at least there will be clarity. If need be then allow anyone to conitue on their CURRENT' contract and be selected but then they must return. I hope for our sake they continue with the mess as RM can then stay with us.
CMGC

Fat Taff 09 Oct 2017 11:46 am said..

Dadofvik wrote:For the life of me I can’t understand what is happening in Wales. If they proceed with this idea of only picking a limited number of players outside the Welsh rugby scene (3?), then I can’t see them being a force for a long time. As I see it, there are at least six players who would be first choices, playing in England alone.
These could include Faletau and Priestland at Bath, the prop at Exeter, two at Gloucester (Williams bring a high reserve), others at Northampton, Saracens and others I can’t think of off the top of my forgetful head!
Could be very difficult for
them in the next world cup, as the players in the Pro14 will lack experience of playing at a constantly high and hard level.

Nor can anyone in Wales! Scarlets aside, the regions are in mess. The other three have only managed five wins between them out of their first eighteen games. Blues are losing their coach, and the Os are losing their international half backs because they can't come close to matching what they'll get paid elsewhere. The Dregs have already been bailed out by the WRU. It's a shambles.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 09 Oct 2017 14:11 pm said..

You know, all of this for the future, I'd just like to see him back in C&W
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Worldy 09 Oct 2017 14:26 pm said..

It is an odd situation. By playing in Wales you have much further to travel for away games which I assume means more time away from your family.

It makes sense, I would have thought, for Wales to make more use of clubs in England that may develop youngsters that are eligible for them and expand the number of professionals you can pick from. For a quarter of the top English clubs the travel time to Cardiff is about what I used to do for county training!

I can understand them not wanting players hours away but when they can be on the doorstep it’s all a bit silly.

That said, I don’t know how they would run a rule of “Gatland’s Sphere of Approval”.
Worldy
Senior squad member

King Prawn Bhuna 09 Oct 2017 14:52 pm said..

...it's all about control, as for Gatland's sphere of Approval it's about the same sense as Eddie's...but what do we know?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Sue D'Nimes 09 Oct 2017 15:07 pm said..

How about saying you must live in Wales to play for Wales but you can play your club rugby wherever you like as long as you are contracted to be free for ANY Wales capped international match and relevant training? Let's set 200 nights a year as the minimum to qualify as living in Wales. The Welsh would need to pay the fines for the clubs for releasing players outside the international window with cash they save for not propping up the regions and spend a bit on administering the new residence ruling. This should leave enough over to invest in grass root rugby.
"Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."
Sue D'Nimes
Turns out for the A team

CMGC 09 Oct 2017 15:49 pm said..

Surely this is all about trying to build the game back up in Wlaes. Obviously it is a circular thing but for Wales to continue as a top tier Rugby Nation it needs to produce good young talent. That will mainly come from a strong club fabric which to be attractive and successfull. That in turn needs the best players playing in those 4 clubs . That raises the standard etc. etc.
FWIW I wish a method could be devised that stopped France and Eng clubs buying up all the best talent around the globe. Ultimately the game will become narrower and more myopic.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby