Ollie Thorley

Ollie Thorley

Peanutcoxy 07 Dec 2017 09:46 am said..

I’ve read pretty much all the comments over the last few weeks (I need to get out more) and very little has been said about Ollie Thorley’s performances. At a time when we were down to the bare bones in the back 3, Ollie has more than stood up to the task. He has pace to burn, runs through defenders over the gain line more often than not and is solid in his defence and positioning. Yet another success story of a player who has grasped his opportunity with both hands and become a strong candidate as first choice winger. With Charlie due back imminently the competition for places out wide is going to be great for the club. Pick 2 from OT, CS, DH, HP, plus midfield guys who have played there. I haven’t seen the academy guys due to come through but on recent evidence I assume they will have the desire and ability to succeed.
Peanutcoxy
Vice-Captain

Re: Ollie Thorley

Rovin 07 Dec 2017 10:06 am said..

Agree that Thorley has stood up to be counted, tackled his heart out, linked well with Burns' cross fields kicks etc ...

However, i have a concern, namely his desire to run directly into contact and not try to avoid it, he always seems to take the most direct route to the nearest opponent, which whilst brave, will lead to injury and from the team perspective isn't creating a break.
Rovin
Turns out for the A team

radioshed 07 Dec 2017 10:15 am said..

Rovin wrote:Agree that Thorley has stood up to be counted, tackled his heart out, linked well with Burns' cross fields kicks etc ...

However, i have a concern, namely his desire to run directly into contact and not try to avoid it, he always seems to take the most direct route to the nearest opponent, which whilst brave, will lead to injury and from the team perspective isn't creating a break.

I agree on the point above, and when running into contact doesnt have the bulk to gain much ground.
When in space though, and the opposition dfence not set, makes good yards.

If only Johnny had stayed.
radioshed
Senior squad member

Fat Taff 07 Dec 2017 10:33 am said..

Rovin wrote:Agree that Thorley has stood up to be counted, tackled his heart out, linked well with Burns' cross fields kicks etc ...

He's certainly stepped up to the plate, but I'd agree on your point regarding boshing into contact. Needs to work on his footwork to try and make defenders think a bit more. Route one at his size will rarely be effective.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Gb83 07 Dec 2017 10:39 am said..

Thorley will continue to improve. I’m looking forward to Woodward returning, he did a good job at 15 but I think he will excel with Marshall and Trinder. Woodward is a class act
Gb83
Hero in the making

Beddis 07 Dec 2017 11:53 am said..

Re the running into contact, probably thinking about playing for England as that’s been the way for as long as I can remember
Posts: 2964  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

steckers 07 Dec 2017 11:55 am said..

I am struggling to think of a player who hasn't made a noticeable improvement this year. Almost seems wrong to single anyone out!
steckers
Hall of Famer

Neilio44 07 Dec 2017 11:55 am said..

I would think that's a habit that can easily enough be sorted through training and experience.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Vice-Captain

Peanutcoxy 07 Dec 2017 11:56 am said..

Taking the ball into contact is part and parcel of the modern attacking game and system defence. You can’t gave it both ways, if he doesn’t break the gain line he’s seen as weak and ineffective and if he does, he’s risking injury. He is very strong despite his relative size and I suspect JA is very content for him to continue this attacking style
Peanutcoxy
Vice-Captain

Fat Taff 07 Dec 2017 12:07 pm said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:Taking the ball into contact is part and parcel of the modern attacking game and system defence. You can’t gave it both ways, if he doesn’t break the gain line he’s seen as weak and ineffective and if he does, he’s risking injury. He is very strong despite his relative size and I suspect JA is very content for him to continue this attacking style

Not where he plays. Look at how players like Veainu, Daly, Wade, May, etc, use a combination of footwork and pace to take on defenders, rather than simply trying to beat them physically. Veainu and Wade in particular, could step around someone in a phone box.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby