Wiggy talks sense

Wiggy talks sense

CMGC 12 Jan 2018 11:18 am said..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... k-rucking/
I find it hard to disagree with his thoughts on rucking. The article is free to read . It is a tricky problem to sort out but surely the current lottery is not the solution. The inconsistencies with holding on, handling, releasing the balla nd or players does make it a lottery and draws some very random and thus unfair penalties which can win/ lose games. That surely is not a realistic way forward for a professional game. It might help if several of the ruck offences were only free kicks to reduce the impact of lottery decision making.
CMGC

Re: Wiggy talks sense

Kinga 12 Jan 2018 11:24 am said..

Personally i feel that too many questionable decisions are resulting as penalties. The use of free kicks should be introduced more for certain offences.

If a line out isn't straight it should be a free kick at first. Unless the team opt for the scrum. An attacking team might take the scrum but the defending team will almost certainly clear their lines.

Again with a simple knock on you could apply the same rule. With the same option for the scrum if the want.

Would speed the game up no end.

Props might be blowing a bit though.
Kinga
Senior squad member

RossM 12 Jan 2018 11:28 am said..

Props might be blowing a bit though.

Yeah but most of them only have to play 50 mins of an 80 minute game.......
RossM
Senior squad member

Kinga 12 Jan 2018 11:35 am said..

Unless your E.dinburgh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4 fit props for their Challenge cup match. If they get one injured they will have uncontested scrums in their final game. :lol: :lol:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/challenge-cup/edinburgh-face-prop-crisis-as-bid-to-add-jordan-lay-is-rejected-1-4659463
Kinga
Senior squad member

plod 12 Jan 2018 15:25 pm said..

I came to the conclusion some time ago that many of the laws now are just a loose guide for the players and referee. The put-in at the scrum; the line-out throws which are rarely truly straight; the hand on a shoulder as a bind in the maul, and as AH says there could be a penalty at almost every ruck. Occasionally, when the ref gives a penalty for flopping on top, or off-feet, I say to myself, what makes this ruck different to the last one where you didn’t give a penalty. Incidentally, I don’t blame the refs. I agree with more free-kick offences, especially at the scrum. I was pleased to see Wayne Barnes last week when one scrum was being given a pasting that he didn’t award a penalty just waited for the ball to come out.
plod
Hero in the making

Blackcountryglaws 12 Jan 2018 16:48 pm said..

Tacklers have to release the tackled player and roll away instantly. The tackled player is allowed to roll over, place the ball or push it back between his legs or wait, ball in hand til he can pass it off the floor to a support runner. Attacking player seem to be able to join a ruck from the side or even just stand in an offside position with impunity. Whilst I'm all in favour of quick ball, the idea that a ruck is a contest is a thing of the past. I feel that some of the new laws have not made for a better game. But I'm knocking on a bit so maybe it's just not the game that I grew up playing n
Blackcountryglaws
Academy prospect

Dadofvik 12 Jan 2018 18:06 pm said..

I totally agree with what has been said. However, another reason, I think, is that the scrum half,mat a ruck, has more protection than a football goalkeeper! I watch games totally bemused how no one is allowed to touch them until they actually pick the ball up. Takes ages sometimes, with lots of fumbling and f*****g about. I am convinced that half the time they knock on, and a lot of times they deliberately kick the ball forward back into the ruck, thus putting all their own players offside, whether accidental or not being a moot point. Slows the game up.
Dadofvik
Vice-Captain

Return to Gloucester Rugby