Gloucester Set-piece

Gloucester Set-piece

upton dc 12 Jan 2018 11:38 am said..

I saw an interesting pair of stats on BT Sport whilst watching the replay of last saturdays match. The two stats shown have Gloucester positioned 5th in the league based on the success rate of our scrums. As for the line-outs, we are anchored in 12th place; no surprise there then. That makes us overall 8th or 9th for the set-piece. Don’t get me started on re-starts either as we are historically dreadful at those although I believe we are performing a little better this year with Ackerman having us better prepared and lined up for each re-start. I believe our line-out needs to be more consistent and, for that reason, I would start Galarza in every game if fit.
Panache et Precision
upton dc
Hero in the making

Re: Gloucester Set-piece

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Jan 2018 12:36 pm said..

It takes 8 men to bleep up a lineout. Whilst having Galarza in the lineout would help if the men around him aren't getting their timings right then he will only be able to do so much.
Sheddy Mcshedface
On the board

PeterD 12 Jan 2018 12:42 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:It takes 8 men to bleep up a lineout. Whilst having Galarza in the lineout would help if the men around him aren't getting their timings right then he will only be able to do so much.

It only takes 1 to mess it up, the trouble is there are 8 permutations at each line out.
PeterD
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 12 Jan 2018 12:52 pm said..

18 of Gloucester's 28 tries this season have originated from a lineout, the most of any side in the competition.

The above taken form the preview to tonight's match on the EPCR website. Who'd have thought it!
stuartjames
Hero in the making

Ken Burney 12 Jan 2018 12:59 pm said..

The lineout seems to have improved when Hanson has been our number 2.

I believe that Galarza is our best middle jumper.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 12 Jan 2018 13:19 pm said..

Having Big Ben back makes a difference in the lineout too as he is often lifted. The biggest issue for me is Hibbs throwing and that's why I think he lost his Wales jersey prior to coming to Glos and when he could still have been selected before this years new selection criteria. Hibbs will sorely be missed for everything else he does next season but his throwing has let us down at times...
Glossince86
Hero in the making

CMGC 12 Jan 2018 13:25 pm said..

Hanson as KB suggests is our most successfull thrower. Hibs get twice as many lost lineouts and Matu'u twice as many as Hibs!!! However as we know it often isn't the throwers fault.
CMGC

Miles 12 Jan 2018 13:53 pm said..

Against saints our lineout was the best I've seen it all season until hanson and Galarza went off
Miles
Hero in the making

Lebowski 12 Jan 2018 13:59 pm said..

Maybe it is no coincidence that Hibbs and Motu are both leaving.

It isn’t all down to the hooker as others have pointed out, but the fact is some are better at throwing than others. Much has been made by the rugby pundits about the dramatic drop off in performance of the Sarries lineout when Tolofua plays as opposed to George or Brits.
Lebowski

Old Rik 12 Jan 2018 14:11 pm said..

Which brings us on nicely to the replacement hooker for hibs and lifter for Afoa.
Marx for hibs please and I have no idea who would be available to recruit to wear our 3 shirt ( in my opinion the most prestigious shirt on the field!)

Balmain and ?
Old Rik
Senior squad member
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby