Bath v Llanelli

Re: Bath v Llanelli

Clive's Pants 13 Jan 2018 11:06 am said..

Loose link...

Hartpury play Scarlets' 2nd string at home today 14:30 ko.
Clive's Pants
Hero in the making

Not1eyed 13 Jan 2018 11:10 am said..

Spot on LowerO.
It seems to me at times it isn’t possible to say a player at another club is good without people getting defensive.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

madders 13 Jan 2018 11:25 am said..

My point is certain players are bigged up to super human status and this seems to mean other players are overlooked by the selectors.
Quins seem to have plenty of England superstars yet their performances are dire! Perhaps EJ should start looking elsewhere?
madders
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 13 Jan 2018 11:39 am said..

I’m sure EJ is looking everywhere. Your point may have more relevance if England were losing games, however as they have lost 1 game under EJ then I’d say he’s doing something right.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 13 Jan 2018 12:01 pm said..

Anyone beating Bath, especially on their own patch, sorry wreck, is to be welcomed, but by the Scarlets and in that fashion - very happy days indeed.

For those who have not watched the Scarlets that much over the last 2 seasons, this style of play is the norm now. They blew both Leinster and Munster away, on consecutive weekends in the Pro league semi & final in Dublin at the end of last seaosn. They can when required tighten up their game and muscle it out too.

But when the ball is dry & they are on form it's fantastic rugby to watch. Credit to Pivac of course as head coach, but Stephen Jones is also rightly being given huge credit.

No Stef Evans, Jonathan Davies, Halfpenny, McNicholl either in that back line last night and no Jake Ball at lock.
Posts: 3464  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Jackal 13 Jan 2018 12:12 pm said..

Oh how I so enjoyed watching the game last night! :lol:

Scarlets were excellent as they have been the past few seasons but you have to say Eddie Jones couldn't have taken many positives from an England player perspective. Ford wasn't played, Watson had a few howlers including being stepped by a lock (although was a lot more threatening in attack), Joseph was completely missing from the game and the returning Underhill was completely outclassed by Davies (who must be banging on the door for a Wales shirt now surely?!). Makes you wonder how they get picked regardless?
Gloucester born and bred
Jackal
Senior squad member

Not1eyed 13 Jan 2018 12:14 pm said..

Ford? Who do you mean when you say Ford wasn’t played?
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

CMGC 13 Jan 2018 12:22 pm said..

I think the problem with Barf is not the players but the team ethic, systems and confidence. We all know that good players can soon disappear in a poor team. Unless you know the role each player has and how the team is set up to play, it is difficult to be overly critical. I agree that several Barf players didn't look great. However that same player can easily thrive and look a million dollars in a different team. EJ picks his teams with no London or other bias. If anything I suspect he would favour the opposite way. The fact he picks who he does has to be down to the talent and way those players fit into what has been a VERY successful Eng team. You only have to look at 57 over last season and this to see how things can look so different. We also don't get to see Eng training where I am sure if you don't show up you don't get the shirt.
CMGC

Lewi7 13 Jan 2018 12:26 pm said..

BATH boss Todd Blackadder pulled no punches after his team suffered a crushing European Champions Cup home defeat against Scarlets.

The Welsh team's spectacular 35-17 bonus-point victory sets them up for a potential Pool Five decider against three-time European champions Toulon next weekend.

Bath, though, face being frozen out of the quarter-final picture after their red-hot opponents ran in tries by lock Tadhg Beirne, wing Paul Asquith and Wales international centres Scott Williams and Hadleigh Parkes.
"Frustration is an understatement," Bath rugby director Blackadder said. "Big games are all about executing your basics well, and we didn't do that.

"We've got to address some internal issues we have got, and one of those is our inconsistency. The preparation has been bang on, but we are still getting inconsistent performances.

"We are so inconsistent that it has to be mental. We were preparing for hopefully a home quarter-final, but that was our fourth loss at home this season, which is just inexcusable.

"It lies with us - myself, the players - and we have got to turn this around. It is inexcusable.

"We did not execute our basics at all under pressure, and we paid for it. They outplayed us in most areas tonight.

"There is still a remote chance (of reaching the quarter-finals), but it's very remote. We had everything in our control going into tonight, but we just didn't perform."

Blackadder also confirmed that Bath's Wales international fly-half Rhys Priestland, who went off after just four minutes, suffered a hamstring injury.
Scarlets fly-half Dan Jones added 15 points from the boot as Scarlets made light of losing injured Wales star Leigh Halfpenny 24 hours before kick-off, with outclassed Bath managing tries from wing Matt Banahan and number eight Zach Mercer, plus two Freddie Burns conversions and a penalty.

Scarlets skipper Ken Owens said: "Everyone works so hard for each other, and we express ourselves on the pitch. We've got some great players and we play a good brand of rugby.
Posts: 3464  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Jackal 13 Jan 2018 13:39 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Ford? Who do you mean when you say Ford wasn’t played?

I completely forgot that Ford had gone back to Tigers. My bad!
Gloucester born and bred
Jackal
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby