European Qualification

Re: Worcester favour

Nuts 13 Jan 2018 20:46 pm said..

Thanks Baz for sharing permutations.

Just FYI - not saying it is correct - but BBC report states that Edinburgh have secured a home quarter already.
Nuts
Vice-Captain

Baz 13 Jan 2018 21:07 pm said..

Nuts wrote:Thanks Baz for sharing permutations.

Just FYI - not saying it is correct - but BBC report states that Edinburgh have secured a home quarter already.

yes, that's Correct Nuts. Cardiff, who are leading in another group can't get to 24 which is what Edinburgh have,leaving 4 other groups providing the home quater finalists. Cardiffs group will provide 5th seed but won't have one of the best 3 seconds.We are playing for seedings....... and top 2 have a better chance of a home semi final. Both Gloucester and Pau have already qualified. 26 points could get us 2nd seed? Come On Stade.
Baz
Hall of Famer

lucifer 13 Jan 2018 21:31 pm said..

If we beat Pau next week but they get a lbp we will finish on the same points with the same results against each other. What then decides who finishes top?
lucifer
Hero in the making

Baz 13 Jan 2018 21:36 pm said..

(b) If two clubs in the same pool are equal on match points at the end of the pool stage, their ranking will be determined by the results of the two matches played between the relevant clubs as follows:
(i) the club with the greater number of match points from those matches; or
(ii) if equal, the club with the best aggregate points difference from those matches: or
(iii) if equal, the club that scored the most tries in those matches.
Baz
Hall of Famer

radioshed 13 Jan 2018 21:43 pm said..

Thanks Baz for the latest summary, and well done to Wuss in restricting Connacht to 2 points.

I share your enthusiasm for a trip to Bilbao - the last time I was there was for England v France footy match in the 1982 World Cup Finals. A great city to visit.

Maybe an away Q/F wouldnt be a bad result, as the only way to guarantee you have a home semi is to win away in the quarters. Last year we were a 1-4 seed, but still at to go to La Rochelle for the semi.
radioshed
Vice-Captain

steckers 13 Jan 2018 21:50 pm said..

If Newcastle get 5pts tomorrow they will be in the hunt for a top 2 finish.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Baz 13 Jan 2018 22:02 pm said..

steckers wrote:If Newcastle get 5pts tomorrow they will be in the hunt for a top 2 finish.

Yep. I've written them off as seed 1, they can get and probably will get 28 points. We are playing for seed 2 really with Edinburgh and Connacht in our way, although as far as Connacht is concerned 5 points for us will do it. It's Stade Francais we need to beat Edinburgh in Paris. If Edinburgh get 2 points or more we are playing for 3rd seed.

I get your point Radio shed but if all home quarter finalists win and we are second seed, it's a home semi final for us. Seeds something like..............
1. Newcastle
2.Gloucester
3.Edinburgh
4.Conacht
5.Cardiff
6.Pau
7.Bordeaux
8Stade francais

On that basis it would be Bordeaux at home then Edinburgh home. If Pau won at Connacht in the quarter final we would be back at Pau in the Semi final. Guessing of course.... but you get the idea.
Baz
Hall of Famer

steckers 13 Jan 2018 22:26 pm said..

Well I would feel confident against any of those at home.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Baz 14 Jan 2018 20:03 pm said..

Baz wrote:
steckers wrote:If Newcastle get 5pts tomorrow they will be in the hunt for a top 2 finish.

Yep. I've written them off as seed 1, they can get and probably will get 28 points. We are playing for seed 2 really with Edinburgh and Connacht in our way, although as far as Connacht is concerned 5 points for us will do it. It's Stade Francais we need to beat Edinburgh in Paris. If Edinburgh get 2 points or more we are playing for 3rd seed.

I get your point Radio shed but if all home quarter finalists win and we are second seed, it's a home semi final for us. Seeds something like..............
1. Newcastle
2.Gloucester
3.Edinburgh
4.Conacht
5.Cardiff
6.Pau
7.Bordeaux
8Stade francais

On that basis it would be Bordeaux at home then Edinburgh home. If Pau won at Connacht in the quarter final we would be back at Pau in the Semi final. Guessing of course.... but you get the idea.

So after today my predictions are still there and arguably stronger. Bar an upset at home from Connacht, Cardiff are nailed on 5th seeds. Newcastle very much favourites for seed 1. So still between us, Edinburgh and Connacht for 2nd seed though as far as we are concerned, we just need a bonus point win and Edinburgh to lose with no more than 1 bonus point.
Baz
Hall of Famer

Re: European Qualification

Pauntley Boy 14 Jan 2018 22:51 pm said..

so for those who went to Pau - do you think we can win and get the four tries?
Pauntley Boy
First team regular
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby