Eddie Jones

Re: Eddie Jones

JamesK 20 Mar 2018 09:40 am said..

Lebowski wrote:It’s not sanity if you care primarily about the club game.

I agree that a big part of this comes down to whether club or country have first call on the players. However, a change is required from a purely player welfare perspective.
JamesK
Senior squad member

Glen Sannox 20 Mar 2018 10:29 am said..

CMGC, if you'd put millions of your own money into a club then I suspect you might think like Tony Rowe!

Lewi, I say again, I don't care which interpretation of the Laws prevails...if it's the Celtic league view then that's fine by me - the AP teams would quickly adapt.

BTW, relegation will be gone soon....whether it's at the end of this season or next I don't know, but the tide has turned.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

CMGC 20 Mar 2018 11:28 am said..

GS - point taken. I guess it comes down yet again to the RFU setting a template which allows the Clubs to do their business plans but also allows the Eng team to operate on a leevel playing field with the other nations. If Nowell, Slade, Armand, Simmonds et al all sign CC with the RFU when their current ones expire then Rowe can treat it like any other club coming in for them. He can then potentially get them back on reduced hours for a fraction of what it would have cost. Rowe will then have more free cash to buy in other players. Win Win. ( especially for the players) .
CMGC

JamesK 20 Mar 2018 12:35 pm said..

I don't think there is truly a solution to this where everyone wins. The downside to CMGC's suggestion is that central contracts are likely to lead to more AP games where some of the best players are missing. That would be a shame but perhaps it is unavoidable.
JamesK
Senior squad member

Lewi7 20 Mar 2018 14:29 pm said..

If the RFU controlled the club game..........there wouldn't be two agenda's. The RFU control international rugby, PRL the Club game. The Club game can't rely on a handful of wealthy benefactors, the biggest revenue generator is the RFU, mainly through Twickenham internationals.

Re: EJ & the back row selection - sure he's got plenty to choose from but he has lost quite a few to injury, which will have upset the balance and thus selection - this is probably the biggest thing for him to work on - flexibility in the event of injury.
Just how many England backrowers have been injured ?
Posts: 3464  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Castle Grim Reaper 20 Mar 2018 15:12 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:If the RFU controlled the club game..........there wouldn't be two agenda's. The RFU control international rugby, PRL the Club game. The Club game can't rely on a handful of wealthy benefactors, the biggest revenue generator is the RFU, mainly through Twickenham internationals.

I repeat; Do BT Sport pay the majority of that money to the RFU for coverage of all the internationals which are on BBC, ITV and Sky or is the money actually for all the Premiership and European games that they have exclusive coverage of.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 20 Mar 2018 15:28 pm said..

Repeat all you like.

There is a significant amount of money generated by the RFU from non tv related routes - match tickets; hospitality; merchandise etc.
Posts: 3464  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Frazier 20 Mar 2018 15:28 pm said..

I just read an article saying our match vs Barf is to be televised live on Channel 5.
#WWG1WGA
Posts: 545  Location: If you can't speak freely then you're simply not free - Montagraph
Frazier
Hero in the making

Oldprop 20 Mar 2018 16:18 pm said..

Frazier wrote:I just read an article saying our match vs Barf is to be televised live on Channel 5.

It would be a good one to show a wider audience and no cost to us as the offy says it's already sold out.
Oldprop
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 20 Mar 2018 16:33 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:Repeat all you like.

There is a significant amount of money generated by the RFU from non tv related routes - match tickets; hospitality; merchandise etc.

While everybody talks about all the money the RFU give the clubs it is nonsense. The 2012 deal with BT gave £3M5 a year to each club and has been massively increased since. Has anybody asked BT if they would still want to pay this for a ring-fenced competition with the occasional international player turning out :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby