Eddie Jones

Re: Eddie Jones

Fat Taff 19 Mar 2018 16:26 pm said..

Charlie Morgan has done a well written article to suggest the way the breakdown is reffed in the prem are not the reason for England's breakdown woes. You might not agree, but it's a good article, he's one of the few journo's whose analysis is consistently well thought out and written.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... down-woes/

It's free to read, but you do have to register. Just put any old guff in and you get instant access.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 19 Mar 2018 17:24 pm said..

Wales conceded 2 pens in their opening match with Scotland, but suffered a bit more at the breakdown vs England, but no more / less than usual, but were reffed off the park at the breakdown in their match vs Ireland, reffed by Jackson - they didn't change the back row for those three matches and they didn't change much in what they did, but the interpretation(s) across 3 refs wasn't consistent.

Yes, CMGC, that was my point. WR have the authority to change, implement etc, but is it they, or the AP that are out of step. I would like to see experiments started in the NH though, they always seem to start in the SH.
Posts: 3480  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

CMGC 19 Mar 2018 18:04 pm said..

I think we can allagree that the reffing at breakdowns and the set piece has become even more crucial that it was. The scrum decisions used to get us all groaning with sometimes baffling decisions that decided key games and now it can be either attack or defence at rucks and mauls. I don't think it is easy but surely something has to be sorted and then CONSISTENTLY applied.
CMGC

Stroud Wizard 19 Mar 2018 20:59 pm said..

Eddie Jones has picked the English teams and has got it wrong. His choice of backrow players has been the major cause of the poor performance in the Six Nations. He must carry the can for major selection gaffes. To say that several players have played their last game for England says as much about his selections as it does about players' performances. Outshone by other coaches in the Six Nations.
Stroud Wizard
Senior squad member

CMGC 19 Mar 2018 23:09 pm said..

Robshaw has been one of the better performing players for Eng. His stats are good and if you watch closely so are his performances. There is no evidence that any other EQP would have done better in the backrow. Simmonds a Prem star this year was mostly invisible. Armand was solid , no more.
CMGC

CMGC 19 Mar 2018 23:18 pm said..

At last a sound of some sanity from those on high
"English rugby must consider copying Irish model of central contracts, says players' chief , Damian Hopley"
On the Torygraph site. I see the Exeter Chairman says the RFU can not cherry pick but would have to contract all his players if they want them. Sadly this is the sort of inward looking self satisfied attitude you see from vested interests. Predicatable but hopefuly one that could be quashed. I hope this debate gets a proper hearing. Well done Hopley, at least he cares for the players.
CMGC

DieTrying 19 Mar 2018 23:56 pm said..

CMGC wrote:At last a sound of some sanity from those on high
"English rugby must consider copying Irish model of central contracts, says players' chief , Damian Hopley"
On the Torygraph site. I see the Exeter Chairman says the RFU can not cherry pick but would have to contract all his players if they want them. Sadly this is the sort of inward looking self satisfied attitude you see from vested interests. Predicatable but hopefuly one that could be quashed. I hope this debate gets a proper hearing. Well done Hopley, at least he cares for the players.

It's the same Exeter Chairman who reckoned ring fencing the AVP would be a good idea, after they'd got up though. If you listen to him talk you'd think he invented Rugby. Plank.
DieTrying

Lebowski 20 Mar 2018 07:51 am said..

It’s not sanity if you care primarily about the club game.
Lebowski

glawsrugbyfan 20 Mar 2018 08:49 am said..

CMGC wrote:Robshaw has been one of the better performing players for Eng. His stats are good and if you watch closely so are his performances. There is no evidence that any other EQP would have done better in the backrow. Simmonds a Prem star this year was mostly invisible. Armand was solid , no more.

I'd like to see Simmonds at openside for England. Exposed as being too lightweight to play at 8 in the international game, but his pace makes him an ideal 7 IMHO....and he offers more than that one dimensional tackle machine Underhill.
glawsrugbyfan
Hero in the making

CMGC 20 Mar 2018 09:27 am said..

Leb, there is a fair argument that says that the Club game needs a strong national set up. The National monies make a big input the the clubs and provides a goal for all Club players. The club game can do very well if they curb salaries and silly overborrowed set ups. If the Int players are centrally controlled they will still play for clubs but probably last a lot longer.
I don't see it as either or but try to benefit both. It is only one season so the jury is out but this flogging model may not be to the clubs advantage based on this season.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby