New Badge

Re: New Badge

tigerchef 21 Mar 2018 12:54 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Haven't we been here before? I am 99% sure that at some point in the early 2000's there was a concerted effort to give a lot of the top flight teams an animal based moniker (isn't this where Sales became Sales Sharks) and we were meant to be the Gloucester Lions but, for reasons of complete indifference on the part of supporters, it never really took on.

I could be completely talking out of my arse here but that wouldn't be a first for Shedweb

I do believe that is correct, but Bath and Sarries couldn't agree on who would use the word 'Chettah'.

The project was quietly shelved soon after.
tigerchef
Hero in the making

PeterD 21 Mar 2018 12:59 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Sadly there is no copyright on the city crest...and therefore no money for the club for its usage. The new designs look very much like leisure logos than playing shirt. But we'll have to see how the Lion's thing plays out.....

The issue with the City Crest is that anyone can have cheap shirts printed and have the crest on them and sell them in the market. Revenue to club =Nil = no money for funding Marquee signings.

I congratulate the club on registering 3 logos. I note that none have been granted yet, but it leaves them free to use them as and when they may choose, but also prevents others using similar on cheap copies.
PeterD
Hall of Famer

Mark from Stroud 21 Mar 2018 13:02 pm said..

PeterD wrote:but also prevents others using similar on cheap copies.

A bit like Leicester have stopped the Russian footy team using a copy of theirs :)
Mark from Stroud
Hero in the making

Frazier 21 Mar 2018 13:21 pm said..

BigBatch wrote:YAWN!
I wondered how long it would be before the age old "Bring back to old crest" talk started!
YAWN!

Is that you Stephen?
#WWG1WGA
Posts: 545  Location: If you can't speak freely then you're simply not free - Montagraph
Frazier
Hero in the making

Frazier 21 Mar 2018 13:23 pm said..

tigerchef wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Haven't we been here before? I am 99% sure that at some point in the early 2000's there was a concerted effort to give a lot of the top flight teams an animal based moniker (isn't this where Sales became Sales Sharks) and we were meant to be the Gloucester Lions but, for reasons of complete indifference on the part of supporters, it never really took on.

I could be completely talking out of my arse here but that wouldn't be a first for Shedweb

I do believe that is correct, but Bath and Sarries couldn't agree on who would use the word 'Chettah'.

The project was quietly shelved soon after.

Brilliant. It made me laff.
#WWG1WGA
Posts: 545  Location: If you can't speak freely then you're simply not free - Montagraph
Frazier
Hero in the making

torchy6 21 Mar 2018 15:15 pm said..

City Crest for me too, those three look cheap and nasty. We are a proud traditional city club and the badge should reflect that.
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 21 Mar 2018 16:18 pm said..

Torchy if you want us to be a cheap rugby club then I am sure we can go back to the City Crest but, as others have mentioned, we don't have the rights to it so others can use it freely on merch that the club would see not a penny of!
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Rhino 21 Mar 2018 16:20 pm said..

Can anyone point me in the direction of Pirate Glawster fan ware, sporting the city crest.
Apart from the supporters shirt made just after the new badge, I cant remember seeing much, and I think that was only made and sold due to hoops not been available.
I understand the need for a copyright, but we as supporters are hardly deluged by non - official merchandise, or am I missing something.
I think the use or non use of the old city crest / badge is a red herring due more to someone getting his son involved if rumour has it.
Rhino
Vice-Captain

Legendoft'Autostrada 21 Mar 2018 16:27 pm said..

Rhino wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of Pirate Glawster fan ware, sporting the city crest.
Apart from the supporters shirt made just after the new badge, I cant remember seeing much, and I think that was only made and sold due to hoops not been available.
I understand the need for a copyright, but we as supporters are hardly deluged by non - official merchandise, or am I missing something.
I think the use or non use of the old city crest / badge is a red herring due more to someone getting his son involved if rumour has it.

There are a number of outlets that carry such unofficial merchandise in and around the city.
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

torchy6 21 Mar 2018 16:37 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Torchy if you want us to be a cheap rugby club then I am sure we can go back to the City Crest but, as others have mentioned, we don't have the rights to it so others can use it freely on merch that the club would see not a penny of!

So you think the traditional crest looks cheaper than the rubbish on view today :roll:
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby