Re: No more players?

Lurker 04 Jun 2018 11:29 am said..

and improve his box/clearance kicking
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Murphy 04 Jun 2018 21:01 pm said..

[quote="Lurker"]and improve his box/clearance kicking[/quote
Needs a lot of work. Not sure if he will ever get to the required standard, sadly]
Murphy
First team regular

Still Realistic 05 Jun 2018 08:06 am said..

FWIW I have been really impressed with Charlie Chapman (the most Gloucester Scotsman since Ian Smith!) in the Scotland u20 side. However Braley looked good at this level a couple of years ago too!
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

grunter 05 Jun 2018 10:56 am said..

It's been broadcast on the Shark Tank podcast that RJVR, or rather his agent, is currently in negotiations with us, Sale Sharks and the Lions, and that no definite decision has been made to date.
grunter
On the board

Ken Burney 05 Jun 2018 11:38 am said..

Thank goodness I'm not Johan Ackermann! We look to have the most SID for several years with most positions well covered.

My stab at it (assuming early season good weather and firm pitches) : -

1 - Hohneck
2 - Hanson
3 - Balmain
4 - Slater - captain
5 - Grobler
6 - Polledri
7 - Kriel
8 - Ackermann
9 - Heinz
10 - Cipriani
11 - Marshall
12 - Twelvetrees (kicker)
13 - Trinder
14 - Thorley
15 - Woodward
16 - Marais
17 - VRR
18 - Dreyer
19 - Mostert
20 - Ludlow
21 - Vellacott
22 - Atkinson (covering 10 and 12)
23 - Hudson

No doubt people will disagree with me! There's too many choices of good quality players.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Miles 07 Jun 2018 16:33 pm said..

So SV and Gloucester Rugby have confirmed that's it unless an exceptional offer comes about.

I for one am bitter about not being able to capture Van Rensburg and the prospect of Williams being a highly paid third choice, however between Atkinson and Twelvetrees we should be okay.

Well done DH, SV and JA who have done a brilliant job this summer.
Miles
Hero in the making

VV 07 Jun 2018 16:59 pm said..

I for one am bitter about not being able to capture Van Rensburg and the prospect of Williams being a highly paid third choice, however between Atkinson and Twelvetrees we should be okay.

Why third choice? Williams could be second behind Cipriani at 10 but as likely, if given the opportunity, he could make a real impact at 12 and thereby becoming first choice, replicating a similar axis Wasps had with Cipriani and Gopperth.
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
First team regular

Opportunist 07 Jun 2018 17:16 pm said..

With all our recruitment now done I think we have a very strong looking first XV, although could possibly have done with a few more squad players in certain positions.

IMO this is probably our biggest year for recruitment ever, DH has done very well to secure so many quality signings. Considering it's only a few months ago some fans were getting worried about recruitment I'd say we should be feeling very positive. Meanwhile Wasps fans have been waiting for almost a month for their final announcements, Sale still only have two confirmed signings and Newcastle are also looking fairly light in recruitment so far!
Opportunist
On the board

Lord Lucan 07 Jun 2018 17:23 pm said..

The sensible thing ( if possible) would be to set Owen free to a Welsh region to pursue his international ambitions and sign a suitable replacement ( we all know who) win win win situation for all parties.
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

Miles 07 Jun 2018 17:26 pm said..

Personal opinion of course but i'd much rather see Atkinson at 12 and Twelvetrees has been brilliant there this season as well.

I know not everyone is a fan of Billy Burns but I think he's proved himself again this season, so in both instances I would put Williams as 3rd choice, whether it's as a centre or fly-half, again personal opinion.

Also what is wrong with having a bulldozer of a number 12? If, and this is only an if, this was the other way round and we had Cipriani and Burns, I don't think we would have signed Williams as a centre, so why should we now have to change our game plan to accommodate. Hindsight is a wonderful things but it may be a lot of money to be spending on a player who might not be in the match day 23.

I agree LL
Miles
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby