England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

thread killer 09 Jun 2018 22:43 pm said..

Itoje also got away with an elbow to the face of the SA scrummy when he made a clearance kick from his own 22 late into the 2nd half
thread killer
Vice-Captain

Lurker 10 Jun 2018 05:21 am said..

Interesting EJ thinks ref was intimidated by the crowd.....mmmm.......and that some of the things that need fixing are not clear (besides indiscipline)
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 10 Jun 2018 07:20 am said..

Beddis, you must tell me how you write your comments on players before the game, and then get them time-stamped as if they were done after the match has finished - it's clever stuff. You missed out the bit about the ref'. ;)
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 10 Jun 2018 07:43 am said..

Itoje has looked poor for England since the Lions tour, though he seems to play better for Saracens. Other than Robshaw and Brown there's not a huge amount of criticism on here of any of the players. Curry played well according to the stats but was blown away in reality. Robshaw's been poor all season, and 100% commitment is not enough at this level. Brown is a mouthy, arrogant No15, and very good too. He is not a winger, positionally or pace wise, despite his good try at the start, and Daly looks a bit lost at 15, despite his quality.

The selection is the problem, and that's EJs problem/fault. The backrow was unbalanced, again. Shields is no international 2nd row, and got dumped into a storm of mediocrity, so the juries still out in him at international level, despite a few on here praising his SR form., as a No6/7.

EJ went from playing 3 or 4 2nd rowers and Robshaw at 8, to picking too many backrowers, and relying on a unfit Billy V for his go forward. Wilson and Armand are arguably the form back rowers, with Simmonds at 8. Are any of them on tour? Possibly Simmonds, the other 2 are on holiday.

That's 4, or 5, in a row now lost (5 for everybody but EJ), so it's now 24 wins, 5 losses. How long will his fan's keep banging on about his record. What if he loses the SA series 3-0 and then wins only one AI, v Japan. When is the time to panic?
stuartjames
On the board

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 08:13 am said..

I totally agree about Brown. Still great at 15 but definitely not a wing and agree that Daly looked a bit lost at full back. I thought 10,12 and 13 looked good. May had 1 of his best games.
Think shields must play at 6 next week and I’m a big Robshaw fan.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 10 Jun 2018 08:22 am said..

Robshaw deserves a lot of credit for coming back after the debacle of the last World Cup and being a key part of the England squad that won two 6 nations in a row when everyone expected his international career to be over. However after the Baa-baas match and yesterdays game I don't know how anyone can't see that he is now done at the top level.

I know this is with my cherry and white glasses on but would Ludlow really have done that much worse? Given the season he had he would surely have been worth a look on this tour.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Beddis 10 Jun 2018 08:39 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:Beddis, you must tell me how you write your comments on players before the game, and then get them time-stamped as if they were done after the match has finished - it's clever stuff. You missed out the bit about the ref'. ;)

Did you actually watch the game? The majority of the proper journalists I’ve read seem to have seen the same game as me?
Posts: 3986  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Camel 10 Jun 2018 09:28 am said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:Robshaw deserves a lot of credit for coming back after the debacle of the last World Cup and being a key part of the England squad that won two 6 nations in a row when everyone expected his international career to be over. However after the Baa-baas match and yesterdays game I don't know how anyone can't see that he is now done at the top level.

I know this is with my cherry and white glasses on but would Ludlow really have done that much worse? Given the season he had he would surely have been worth a look on this tour.

Spot on.

The last 3 National coaches have selected Robshaw, 1 of which as captain. That tells you all you need to know about the man.

However, the tough England training regime, changes in the game and players coming through are now looking like it's time for Robshaw to move aside.

I personally would like to see Jack Willis given a sustained run at blindside. Ewers is another option, but isn't perhaps as mobile. I still think Beddis' mate has something to offer, if he can get back his 2016 / 17 form.

Ludlow, I think, is in a difficult position, as he's still discovering his best position. There's some very good opensides coming through, in Underhill, Curry and Graham. Armand too is in my view, the best opensides in the league.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 10 Jun 2018 09:29 am said..

Touched a nerve did I?

Brown's not a winger but he also did some decent stuff, which surprised me. Took his try well, looked very strong, and an amazing turnover.

Robshaw also isn't a favourite of mine, but my goodness he's very committed to the cause.

As for Youngs, who else is there (and don't say Robson, as he was desperate against the Baa Baas)?

My point is that you pick on players, decide you dislike them, and then have another pop even if they do good things. I could ask you the same question: do you actually watch matches with your eyes open?

BTW, what about the ref'? Poor, dismal, desperate, or another 'the worst you've ever seen'?
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 10 Jun 2018 09:47 am said..

Watched the game this morning knowing the result so will add my tuppence worth in the cold light of day. First the good:
1. I thought Curry competed well at the breakdown, made a couple of line breaks and didn’t look out of place at all.
2. Mako scrummaged well, carried well and also good at the breakdown.
3. Ford distributed well when in the front foot and looked a class act when going forward.
4. May had an excellent all round game, especially when in space and allowed to run. Defensively good too and positioned himself well as part of the back 3.
5. If anyone has played sport at high altitude (I have), it is incredibly lung busting and only time at that level eases the breathing. With that in mind, our fitness was very good for the full 80.
Now the bad, apologies if it goes on a bit, so best do it in a separate post!
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby