England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

madders 10 Jun 2018 10:07 am said..

I watched the game. They lost after surrendering a big lead. Not good enough. If they had been playing the ABs l shudder to think how many points they would have conceded.
But , hey, Brown had an acceptable game, Robshaw....., Ford....., Young’s etc.
You are All deluding yourselves.
The annoying thing is players are there, but are either ignored or out of position.
What did EJ learn about Robson and Cipriani yesterday? Exactly, nothing.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 10 Jun 2018 10:10 am said..

Part 2
1. Far too many penalties given away for needless offences. I’ll pick on Itoje as he is the biggest culprit. He tackles too high, always on the edge and must learn to adjust. He’s a bright lad but has to learn self control. Actually did some really good stuff but is a liability if he carries on like this.
2. Only criticism of Brown is his lack of out and out pace (hardly his fault). This catches him out sometimes positionally and can’t readjust. None of the tries conceded were his fault as the cover on his inside failed so he had to make a call.
3. Robshaw as always have everything but the modern dynamism is not there to affect the breakdown and create go forward. Clearly class at what he does imho but alternatives will offer much more.
4. Mako’s petulant knock on de Klerk was very frustrating and badly let his team mates down who were already tired.
5. The selection wasn’t balanced, especially the bench. Making a change after half an hour or so is fine if the change is tactical (ie Joseph last year) but Shields for Isiekwe made no sense to me.
6. Sinckler looked all over the place. Poor scrummager, no threat in the carry and limited mobility.
7. Lastly, our defence looked very fragmented aspecislly against quick backs running from deep. They didn’t really know how to cope with it and part of it starts around the fringes and the back row. This then trickles down the line to expose the wider guys. Elliot made a couple of errors but it was his covering positions that need looking at

Just my observations and my ‘unblinkered’ opinion
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 10:17 am said..

I would say that is a very balanced and accurate assessment Peanutcoxy.
It’s accurate based on the actual game too rather than predetermined opinions of players.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

madders 10 Jun 2018 10:20 am said..

Get a room, fellas.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 10 Jun 2018 10:53 am said..

English rugby would appear to be trying to break one of its best players.
A Lions tour followed by a 32 game season. Mako should be on a beach with a beer, not getting flogged in South Africa.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 10 Jun 2018 11:19 am said..

Well that would be a novel approach Jase - a bit like having a player welfare consideration in training? :lol:

England will not progress under Eddie Jones. He appears incapable of accepting any criticism and lacking any level of humility. After the world cup, when we have woefully underachieved, I wonder if those on here (and you know who you are) who have aggressively defended him (and often in the most patronising manner towards his critics) will be capable of any themselves?
Lebowski

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 11:34 am said..

What would your classification of “ woefully underachieving” be?
There are definitely problems with England Rugby at mo of which EJ is certainly 1.
I agree that certain players, if not all, should have been given the summer and possibly set up an “A” tour. That way could have looked at players on the fringe. I doubt SA authorities would have been to happy as it would have reduced their revenue
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 10 Jun 2018 11:38 am said..

Similar to the Six Nations.

I don’t view anything other than winning the world cup as underachieving. I believe I am realistic.

The Six Nations was woeful IMO. Poor results on the back of poor tactics, uninspiring rugby and poor selections.
Lebowski

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 11:48 am said..

Ok that’s fair. I would say it took Sir Clive 7yrs and a World Cup failure to build a squad capable. Personally, I would say anything less than a final is under achieving.
I was no fan of EJ being appointed, as it was largely on back of Japan beating SA in a zero pressure game for Japan, but he won me over in his 1st 2 years. He is now showing signs that the pressure is starting to tell. I wonder if RFU are regretting the 2 year extension that many on here applauded as great succession planning.
The posts on here that I find hard to get my head around are the constant criticism of certain players that are predetermined and not based on performances.
I’d switch Brown and Daly next week, start Spencer at 9, Shields at 6, Cipriani and Spencer on bench. Thought substitution of Iscewe was bad management yesterday.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Beddis 10 Jun 2018 11:55 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:Ok that’s fair. I would say it took Sir Clive 7yrs and a World Cup failure to build a squad capable. Personally, I would say anything less than a final is under achieving.
I was no fan of EJ being appointed, as it was largely on back of Japan beating SA in a zero pressure game for Japan, but he won me over in his 1st 2 years. He is now showing signs that the pressure is starting to tell. I wonder if RFU are regretting the 2 year extension that many on here applauded as great succession planning.
The posts on here that I find hard to get my head around are the constant criticism of certain players that are predetermined and not based on performances.
I’d switch Brown and Daly next week, start Spencer at 9, Shields at 6, Cipriani and Spencer on bench. Thought substitution of Iscewe was bad management yesterday.

Spencer will be busy next week, in only his second cap :mrgreen:
Posts: 3997  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby