England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

Steve M 10 Jun 2018 11:58 am said..

Beddis wrote:
Not1eyed wrote:I’d switch Brown and Daly next week, start Spencer at 9, Shields at 6, Cipriani and Spencer on bench. Thought substitution of Iscewe was bad management yesterday.

Spencer will be busy next week, in only his second cap :mrgreen:

Would that count as his second and third caps if he was brought on off the bench ?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 12:04 pm said..

You’ve lost me there! It’s not hard I’ll grant you.
I meant Daly to wing brown to 15. Spencer at 9
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Steve M 10 Jun 2018 12:07 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:You’ve lost me there! It’s not hard I’ll grant you.
I meant Daly to wing brown to 15. Spencer at 9

You suggested starting Spencer at 9 and having Spencer on the bench ?! ;) :lol:
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 12:12 pm said..

So I did. I meant Robson on bench.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Beddis 10 Jun 2018 12:39 pm said..

I agree with most of what you have written there, although I would drop Brown and bring in Woodward, as Brown lacks pace and was exposed because of it.

I would also start Robson with Spencer on the bench, I don’t think Spencer has started enough important games to get the control needed. Although either has to be better than Youngs and Care
Posts: 3987  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

steckers 10 Jun 2018 13:20 pm said..

I thought the Isiekwe sub was all about EJ's ego. Why sub someone with 4 mins to HT? Just said he wanted to be seen as unafraid to make a change in 1st half.

Must be quite demoralising to a player to be withdrawn like that. Surely could've waited a few mins.

EJ is a desperate man right now.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 13:30 pm said..

Woodward to much of a risk for me at this stage. If he played it would have to be on wing. Also not sure how fair that would be on players Originally selected for touring party.
Cipriani is a must on the bench. Yesterday was perfectly set up for him with 25-30 to go.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Beddis 10 Jun 2018 13:31 pm said..

steckers wrote:I thought the Isiekwe sub was all about EJ's ego. Why sub someone with 4 mins to HT? Just said he wanted to be seen as unafraid to make a change in 1st half.

Must be quite demoralising to a player to be withdrawn like that. Surely could've waited a few mins.

EJ is a desperate man right now.

Very good point, I presumed that Isiekwe was injured in some way and was pretty shocked to see that wasn’t the case. Far from the worst player on the pitch and left England short of a second row for the rest of the game
Beddis

Beddis 10 Jun 2018 13:33 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Woodward to much of a risk for me at this stage. If he played it would have to be on wing. Also not sure how fair that would be on players Originally selected for touring party.
Cipriani is a must on the bench. Yesterday was perfectly set up for him with 25-30 to go.

Woodward has pace to burn though and aside from that final, he had a superb season. We need someone to counter Le Roux and Woodward is the closest we have I feel
Beddis

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 13:48 pm said..

It could be interpreted that in the biggest game of the season he had a shocker so are there question marks over him on the big stage. He’s an exciting player to watch but I think EJ would Like him to have a better kicking game and choosing the right time to kick or run. Sometimes as a full back kicking is the right option. If you could put Goode’s rugby brain with Woodward pace then you’d have some player. I’m just guessing that as he not selected to tour and not selected for baa baas squad. There must be something EJ sees that concerns him
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby