England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

madders 10 Jun 2018 13:54 pm said..

Exactly, and given Brown’s age and the fact that this tour counts for nothing wouldn’t Eddie be better off blooding new faces with a view to RWC 2019 rather than the “same old” particularly as they lost anyway.
Why not have backs:
Woodward
May
Daly
Farrell
Earle
Cipriani
Robson
He might just leaaaaarn something!
Why have these tours if you’re not going to experiment?
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 14:04 pm said..

As I’ve said I thought Brown was good yesterday. I would keep him over Woodward but that’s just my opinion.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

madders 10 Jun 2018 14:22 pm said..

Yes, but he’s knocking on now and this is a great opportunity to blood Woodward and Earle.
madders
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 14:35 pm said..

EJ job is to win RWC not to blood players. He obviously thinks Mike brown provides him his best chance to do that so that’s why he picks him.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 10 Jun 2018 14:38 pm said..

It’s interesting that Lancaster was criticised for experimenting too much and not settling on players. Now EJ being criticised for not experimenting. Not a job I would want
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

steckers 10 Jun 2018 14:57 pm said..

I'm not sure that's why he was criticised. Ultimately for not delivering.

But he experimented in some positions but not others. A bit like EJ - some players seem to get picked regardless of form.
steckers
Hall of Famer

madders 10 Jun 2018 14:59 pm said..

Oh well, obviously EJ has found a way to stop the ageing process, so no need for fresh faces. I’ll sleep better knowing that.
Once again looking forward to stuffing ABs in RWC 2019!
madders
Hall of Famer

Ferret 10 Jun 2018 16:32 pm said..

Is there some problem between Itoje and de Klerk. Either Itoje was late or tried to decapitate de Klerk.
Strange really as I always thought Itoje was a very sporting player; not his best game yesterday even though he did score a try.
It was like Tom and Jerry
Ferret
On the board

madders 10 Jun 2018 17:32 pm said..

I think that Itoje’s problem is he is so committed to the England cause, and not used to losing, is trying just too hard. The problem then , is this translates to over- aggressive play.
madders
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 10 Jun 2018 22:42 pm said..

Brown will be 34 at the World cup and will almost certainly lose even more pace by then but unless he gets injured EJ will start him.
Unlike Wales in Argentina, the test series in SA (As with Ireland in Aus) is a serious test series that requires top side to be picked. Personally I think Mako and Maro should be on FTs beach but I understand why they aren't. As much as I also think Robshaw is a busted flush at international level he is another player nailed on to play in the World cup. More worrying to me is that after several years in the job EJ has failed to identify a top quality 7. I am not convinced by Curry or Underhill personally as I see their strengths and weaknesses.
Finally we can debate pros and cons of current players but when did England truly have a world class scrum half?
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby