England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

Sheddy Mcshedface 07 Jun 2018 20:45 pm said..

robs1 wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
robs1 wrote:IMVHO EJ has lost the plot, doesnt he remember the mess and disruption that bringing in a certain aussie playing rugby league player caused, at least they gave him some time to learn how to play union, as good as he may or may not be its madness to play someone in an away test in SA who has only trained a couple of times with his new team mates.
Its also a huge slap in the teeth for others who have come up through the ranks

Perhaps EJ needs a HIA assessment

You do know Shields is a rugby union player? Burgess problem was that Bath made him a flanker whilst England wanted him in the centres. Not really the same situation.

Yes of course I know that, the point is that BS has not played a single game in the NH let alone the prem, super rugby is very different to the prem, he may become one of the greats in english history but as yet he is unproven whereas we have lots of good backrow players who could have been tested under test conditions. Its a bit like taking a touring car driver and sticking him the monaco GP with a couple of days practice

It really isn't. It's more like asking Lewis Hamilton to drive Sebastian Vettels formula one car. There'll be a few minor differences but fundamentally the same, especially as he will be playing in Southern hemisphere conditions.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

PeteG 07 Jun 2018 21:10 pm said..

"King Prawn Bhuna 07 Jun 2018 18:09 pm said..

Kiwi rejects, that's what we are resorting too..
All wrong until they've proved themselves against their peers."

+1
To many players play for to many countries under a flag of convenience to suit whatever needs (players or a nation needs) England IMVHO are big offenders but easily bested by NZ, strip out a lot of South sea Islanders & how good would they really be. A classic example was the brilliant Lomu who was a Tongan.

Any proper suggestions on what to do with the elastic rules regarding eligibility for a national side? I would love to see offers how the current set up could/should be improved
PeteG
Senior squad member

Peanutcoxy 07 Jun 2018 21:12 pm said..

HKC wrote:Shields has proven himself to be one of the best back row players in super rugby in recent years. A competition which holds some of the best back row players in the world. Yet people want him to have proven himself against Premiership players in order to get into a SH tour?!

I'm almost as astonished by those statements as I am by Brown's continued inclusion on the wing. The world truly has gone mad!

+1 spot on
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

TP17 07 Jun 2018 21:15 pm said..

Have a British passport for one.
TP17
Hall of Famer

PeteG 07 Jun 2018 21:16 pm said..

TP17 wrote:Have a British passport for one.

A good start!
PeteG
Senior squad member

CMGC 07 Jun 2018 21:38 pm said..

Quite surprised to see the number of "bitter and twisted" posters on the thread.
As I see it he has named just about the best team available and it has some interesting new options. Brown and Daly have swapped numbers. I'm sure they will interchange roels a fair bit. You will struggle to find many knowledgeable pundits who don't think Robshaw a good player. He will fade out soon possibly to Curry. This may be the transition. As regards Shields the man is well proven. None of us have seen him in training. I wouldn't have WR rules that allowed him and lots of others to play. EJ is merely doing what all world coaches do.... picking the best available to him.
CMGC

Lebowski 07 Jun 2018 22:09 pm said..

Jonah Lomu was of Tongan heritage but he was born in Auckland, lived his whole life in NZ, and died in Auckland. Not a very good example I’m afraid.
Lebowski

DieTrying 07 Jun 2018 22:24 pm said..

CMGC wrote:Quite surprised to see the number of "bitter and twisted" posters on the thread.
As I see it he has named just about the best team available and it has some interesting new options. Brown and Daly have swapped numbers. I'm sure they will interchange roels a fair bit. You will struggle to find many knowledgeable pundits who don't think Robshaw a good player. He will fade out soon possibly to Curry. This may be the transition. As regards Shields the man is well proven. None of us have seen him in training. I wouldn't have WR rules that allowed him and lots of others to play. EJ is merely doing what all world coaches do.... picking the best available to him.

After Browns wing display v the BaaBaas, I really cannot fathom out EJ's call to put him there again. Woeful on both counts.
DieTrying

Beddis 07 Jun 2018 23:13 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:
CMGC wrote:Quite surprised to see the number of "bitter and twisted" posters on the thread.

After Browns wing display v the BaaBaas, I really cannot fathom out EJ's call to put him there again. Woeful on both counts.

EJ reportedly said that Brown was ‘magnificent’ in that game, beggars belief

I saw both him and Robshaw have atrocious games (missed tackles, coughing up possession, running down blind alleys etc. Basically carrying on their Quins and England form
Posts: 4004  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

stuartjames 08 Jun 2018 06:41 am said..

Shields has proven himself to be one of the best back row players in super rugby in recent years

but he doesn't get selected by the ABs? Or has he always stated that his preference was to represent England?
stuartjames
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby