New Zealand v France

Re: New Zealand v France

upton dc 16 Jun 2018 08:34 am said..

Soon we will need a law that states that a player may only jump for the ball if it has a trajectory in flight towards him. A player will not be able to leap above the ground if he is travelling in the same direction as the trajectory of the ball. I can see it happening soon.
Panache et Precision
upton dc
On the board

Not1eyed 16 Jun 2018 08:38 am said..

Could be more effective to just say no jumping to catch ball. It would be a shame but as it stands it’s a mess
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

carterb121 16 Jun 2018 08:39 am said..

I'm sure the French hearts will lift at seeing John Lacey as the third official in the refereeing triangle for this series. Assuming he will take the whistle next week :shock:
carterb121
Vice-Captain

TP17 16 Jun 2018 08:57 am said..

In my view the French player should be allowed to play for that ball. His eyes are on the ball the whole time. Before he jumps he is pushed by another Kiwi. I'm certain, without the push, he would have got at a good height to compete. But yes in the current game it is a red card. What does worry me is players deliberately jumping for balls to entice an opposition to knock in to them to win the penalty.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Steve M 16 Jun 2018 09:32 am said..

Guess the law as it stands was brought in to help player safety but I cant see that it is having that effect at all. Before this current version of the law I cant remember any more players getting injured from high ball incidents than there are now. Defending players in particular now seem to be jumping to extreme heights to try and claim the ball leaving themselves vulnerable to any sort of challenge.

In this incident, IMO, the French player made no attempt to do anything wrong. His eyes were firmly fixed on the ball the whole time. As someone above has just said, he did get a little nudge from an AB just before he got to the ball and this may have had an effect as well. When the TMO is reviewing these calls sometimes I think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to a player who infringes almost by accident. I would have thought a penalty alone would have been sufficient, at the very worst a yellow card. Ruined the game as the ABs won the match in the following 5mins whilst the French felt sorry for themselves and regrouped.

Thought the French might have been a little unlucky with their hookers disallowed try as well
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 10:28 am said..

Those saying it's a clear red should have a look at the laws and the application of no penalty, penalty, yellow and red for contact in the air. It's not a red card offence
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 16 Jun 2018 10:34 am said..

For me, it's only a yellow as Barrett landed on his arm.
DieTrying

Not1eyed 16 Jun 2018 11:24 am said..

Why is not a red card FT?
By my understanding of the laws that’s a red card. Ref seemed fairly certain too. Barrett off after failed HIA.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Marble Eye 16 Jun 2018 13:01 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Could be more effective to just say no jumping to catch ball. It would be a shame but as it stands it’s a mess

I can see this happening. Remember, to make a mark it used to be necessary to have both feet on the ground. Also, with all the concerns about head injuries and concussion, it seems a bit anomalous to me that you can take to the air with a raised knee at head height to other players.
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 13:56 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Why is not a red card FT?
By my understanding of the laws that’s a red card. Ref seemed fairly certain too. Barrett off after failed HIA.

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on

Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down

Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side

Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

If you have a look at @the blitzdefence on twitter, there's a gif of the push on Fall which causes him to stutter before he jumps, plus the contact itself. Yellow at worst.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby