New Zealand v France

Re: New Zealand v France

Steve M 18 Jun 2018 09:54 am said..

lucifer wrote:Personally I think they’ve made an improvement on this at the football (apologies to the soccerphobes for blasphemy) World Cup where linesmen have been told not to flag when a tight decision has to be made. Rather it will subsequently be referred upstairs when there is a break in play. The above incident in the France v NZ game would then have been avoided. I know people will object to taking power away from officials but this is the way forward and increases the chances of getting the decision right and avoids the pitfalls of the game changing consequences of ‘big’ decisions that were wrong. We might even have won the game in Bilbao had this principle been in operation!

Surely the incident in the France v NZ game was referred upstairs and the TMO was consulted before the decision was made.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Oldprop 18 Jun 2018 11:23 am said..

For some time now I've thought that the red card concept is wrong. Not least because the timing of the offence means a player can go off for anything from one minute to the whole game. I'd keep the red card but the penalty on the day would be 10 minutes in the bin. The panel can then review to see if a red was warranted and, if so, what the penalty should be. I would suggest an absolute minimum of 12 weeks off, even if you are a Quins England player :)
Oldprop
Hall of Famer

Lurker 18 Jun 2018 11:39 am said..

or give a yellow whilst the TMO reviews it - it can then either be upgraded to red or the yellow stands
Lurker
Hall of Famer

robs1 18 Jun 2018 12:16 pm said..

Lurker wrote:or give a yellow whilst the TMO reviews it - it can then either be upgraded to red or the yellow stands

That surely is the right way to go, stops the game being held up for ages and takes the pressure from the TMO and ref to make a quick decision
robs1
Hall of Famer

Mark from Stroud 18 Jun 2018 12:17 pm said..

robs1 wrote:
Lurker wrote:or give a yellow whilst the TMO reviews it - it can then either be upgraded to red or the yellow stands

That surely is the right way to go, stops the game being held up for ages and takes the pressure from the TMO and ref to make a quick decision

That sounds eminently sensible, so stands no chance of making it into the laws
Mark from Stroud
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 18 Jun 2018 13:24 pm said..

Doesn’t the TMO need to be focussing on what’s happening on the pitch live?
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Lord Lucan 18 Jun 2018 14:17 pm said..

Obviously the TMO will need an assistant or two, perhaps they can make the decisions by committee :D
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

Beddis 18 Jun 2018 16:09 pm said..

Saw someone suggest an orange card where the player is sent off but can be replaced after 10 minutes to restore parity in numbers
Posts: 4248  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby