Eddie Jones-Summer Special

Eddie Jones-Summer Special

King Prawn Bhuna 10 Jun 2018 14:36 pm said..

Just been reading the Telegraph views, Cleary , McGeechan et al and very balanced they are too and as it is the quiet season, and he’s flavour of the month. A chance to discuss.

When he came onboard he transformed a team without a real change in characters into a team that the ABs were frightened to take on. Walked the 6N and grand slam, annihilated Aussies in their own back yard and the world was at their feet.

His team managed a string of wins but the confidence and skills were deteriorating, culminating in an embarrassing position in this year’s 6N. I was in Paris when they won the grand slam and again two years later when they were shockingly embarrassing , don't think II don't support of follow England.

Sadly, he’s becoming the go to man for controversy, being baited by Scots and yesterday the Bockies in the headlines, let alone his off the record about some of the home nations!

Yesterday, his team produced a scintillating 20 minutes of competitive test match rugby. But yet again, the wheels fall off ......why?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Re: Eddie Jones-Summer Special

Sheddy Mcshedface 10 Jun 2018 16:06 pm said..

With regards to this game I think a major issue was that we emptied the tank after our start. There is a reason Ellis park is considered the hardest place to play Test Rugby in the world and that is the altitude. Hopefully coming down from on high in the next few games will work in our favour.

Also if you look at how easily we could have prevented a couple of their tries. If Itoje had just held his ground and Daly just flopped on the ball then the Boks wouldn't have built their momentum.

I don't think the Saffers are getting enough credit for their performance as well. It's almost as if picking your best players results in better performances. De Klerk and Le Roux were awesome.

As for what EJ is doing wrong. His biggest flaw is he can't seem to bring himself to drop players who have served him well in the past. When was the last time Robshaw did enough to justify his place? Either in a quins or an England shirt.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Lord Lucan 10 Jun 2018 16:41 pm said..

I’m afraid that a fair few players simply are not good enough and the strength in depth don’t seem any better, this is not a golden generation and other teams have progressed past us, we need to weather the storm and plan for the World Cup after next.
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

caldiglaws 10 Jun 2018 21:01 pm said..

Im sorry i just think there are a few players who have past their best before dates scrum half is an issue as is robshaw and brown
Daley is outside centre for wasps so full back???
Why play players out of position just to have them on the pitch this causes confusion as under pressure we all resort to type we go where we feel comfortable
ENGLAND have strength in every position but by playing people on past glories and not being willing to overlook players because somebody else has taken their spot on form leads to disjointed displays
caldiglaws
Vice-Captain

Lurker 11 Jun 2018 06:09 am said..

Scrum half is a difficult one as both Care and Youngs have been excellent for England over the years and on their day can make decisive breaks that open up defences. In the first 20 mins when we were attacking on Saturday I felt Youngs was very slow at times to get the ball out which allowed the SA defence to reset. Spencer increased the tempo when he came on as would most other premiership scrum halves. Robson does this from the off usually so to my mind he should start and have Youngs as the finisher on the bench. EJ never seems to go with logic though!!
Lurker
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 11 Jun 2018 08:39 am said..

When Sinckler, Care, Robshaw and Brown came to KIngsholm at the end of the season they were poor and having trouble dragging themselves around the pitch. I was only impressed by Brown who was organising as best a defensive line that he could muster.

This really should not be the core running the rough an England side. Brown had a good attacking spell at the start but after that he was continuously out of position and if that was his instruction then what were the rest of the defence doing? I'd just swap him and Daley around.

I'd bench Ford and start Cipriani, him and Farrell would be a combination I'd like to see. Can't see an issue at scrum half but someone needs to rein in that Faff de Klerk fella, I'd start Brad Shields and see what he can do. Hopefully Launchbury is fit.

I'd give Itoje a big and public b********g and tell him to pull his finger out and play on the right side of the edge and listen to the referee.

As for the front tow....Lord only knows.

Also, I'd be interested to know if England made a conscious decision to change the game after 20 minutes and 24-3 to the good, because it was just as if a switch flicked and a confident attacking team turned into a bunch of bumbling journeymen.

Don't think England will mess the second test up and expect quite a handsome win, because if they don't the press will start smelling blood.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

TP17 11 Jun 2018 08:42 am said..

Eddie Jones is failing to accept that the altitude was a major reason for why the performance dramatically changed. In an interview with Jamie George, he (George) mentions that the altitude hit them hard after the 20/30 minute mark. Faf de Klerk also cites England's failure to acclimatise to the altitude as a reason for the loss. So why cant Eddie Jones accept that he is wrong? Why can't he accept that he should have had the training st a similar altitude to get the players prepared to playing in such conditions? Moreover why can't Eddie Jones play the right players?!
TP17
Hall of Famer

Baylion 11 Jun 2018 08:59 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Also, I'd be interested to know if England made a conscious decision to change the game after 20 minutes and 24-3 to the good, because it was just as if a switch flicked and a confident attacking team turned into a bunch of bumbling journeymen.

Don't think England will mess the second test up and expect quite a handsome win, because if they don't the press will start smelling blood.

Rassie admitted that he had the Boks' tactics wrong at the start. He expected England to kick more and didn't expect them to take it wide. The wings trained a narrower defensive line apparently.

I think the change too was that Faf and Willie le Roux took over as playmakers for the Boks and ignited the backline on attack
Baylion
Vice-Captain

Baylion 11 Jun 2018 09:01 am said..

TP17 wrote:Eddie Jones is failing to accept that the altitude was a major reason for why the performance dramatically changed. In an interview with Jamie George, he (George) mentions that the altitude hit them hard after the 20/30 minute mark. Faf de Klerk also cites England's failure to acclimatise to the altitude as a reason for the loss. So why cant Eddie Jones accept that he is wrong? Why can't he accept that he should have had the training st a similar altitude to get the players prepared to playing in such conditions? Moreover why can't Eddie Jones play the right players?!

England has gone back to their base camp at the beach while the next test is also at altitude. Not that I blame them for not wanting to spend too much time in Bloemfontein :)
Baylion
Vice-Captain

Hmac 12 Jun 2018 01:51 am said..

Considering Eddie Jones has travelled to SA with the Brumbies in Super Rugby and the Wallabies in Test matches for years go with the his much greater experience than yours and the facts - You either go 10 days early or not at all. They couldn't go early.
IT didn't affect them in the last 20 did it?
Hmac
Turns out for the A team

Return to Gloucester Rugby