Olivier Azam

Re: Olivier Azam

David 13 Jun 2018 14:32 pm said..

Ollie was - and is - a Glaws legend. End of.
Strikes forehead in disbelief, and shrugs in a sort of despairing French way.
:roll:
David
On the board

Asgard 13 Jun 2018 15:24 pm said..

I totally agree.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Mark from Stroud 13 Jun 2018 15:32 pm said..

As he served us personally in his restaurant on my birthday a few years ago, and helped my daughter on with her coat (she was 17 at the time :)) I'd have to say he was a perfect gentleman. (Apart from berating the waiter who brought my friend a spoon too large to fit in the Trio of whatever she was eating :))
Mark from Stroud
Hero in the making

Stroud Wizard 13 Jun 2018 15:56 pm said..

If anyone cares to look up Azam's record on the internet the offences which I refer to and which 'have no place in the game' were eye gouging and stamping in 2009 which resulted in some lengthy bans from the game. Nothing to do with the era he played in. Simply unacceptable.
Stroud Wizard
Senior squad member

Lebowski 13 Jun 2018 16:05 pm said..

Well Ollie is, and always will be, a Glos legend regardless of what you think.
Lebowski

torchy6 13 Jun 2018 16:21 pm said..

He absolutely is, one of his "crimes" was shaking his foot which was being illegally held, Ollie got the blame and the ban, typical RFU justice!
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 13 Jun 2018 16:27 pm said..

torchy6 wrote:He absolutely is, one of his "crimes" was shaking his foot which was being illegally held, Ollie got the blame and the ban, typical RFU justice!

Totally agree.
Peanutcoxy
Hero in the making

Tump 13 Jun 2018 16:30 pm said..

He was never treated kindly by the sentencing panel compared to other more fashionable or international players.
I wish we had more of his attitude now. To single him out as a thug best forgotten is ignorant, ungrateful ill informed and disrespectful of our heritage IMHO.
Tump
Vice-Captain

Overner 13 Jun 2018 21:53 pm said..

torchy6 wrote:He absolutely is, one of his "crimes" was shaking his foot which was being illegally held, Ollie got the blame and the ban, typical RFU justice!

If memory serves me correctly the "victim" in that case was a certain Steve Borthwick, who, along with Rhys Gill at Saracens at the time, consistently illegally held onto players attempting to leave the ruck. It always appeared to be a deliberate Sarries ploy at the time. Ollie simply tried to shake him off his foot. I seem to remember that Borthwick claimed he had never been so frightened in his life and did his best to get Zed a life ban. This was the same Borthwick who consistently talked to the referee within the kicker's eye line and hearing to try to put them off whenever a penalty was awarded against Saracens. In my view Borthwick was a cheat, straight and simple. Ollie was a very hard front row forward but was, and remains a genuine Gloucester legend.
Overner - someone who has lived on the Isle of Wight for more than 20 years. Less than a Caulkhead, more than a Grockle.
Overner
Turns out for the A team

SpiralScratch 13 Jun 2018 22:37 pm said..

If its the incident I'm thinking of Borthwick was twisting his foot, not just holding it.
SpiralScratch
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby