New signing

Re: New signing

Penang All Blue 12 Jun 2018 16:36 pm said..

Well, Todd used to play for East Grinstead RFC...
Penang All Blue
Turns out for the A team

coleser 12 Jun 2018 17:45 pm said..

I’d be hugely disappointed if our new signing pushes the Walker lad down the line of succession. I think Johan will be too pragmatic and hard-nosed to allow that to happen though.
coleser
Vice-Captain

Oxford Glaws 12 Jun 2018 17:56 pm said..

Blood is thicker than Walker.
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 12 Jun 2018 18:05 pm said..

Oxford Glaws wrote:Blood is thicker than Walker.

Excellent OG. However that scenario does concern me.
DieTrying

Glen Sannox 12 Jun 2018 18:27 pm said..

I'm not in the least bit concerned. Gleave has a decent rugby pedigree and mates at LI rate him as promising. Let the hookers slug it out, and may the best man win. As for thoughts of nepotism, I'm not giving that a moment's thought - do people really think JA would jeopardise the team's chances by making such a selection? I don't.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Opportunist 12 Jun 2018 18:59 pm said..

I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Walker in the U20s and believe that he is the future, but the reality is he has almost no senior experience and there's no guarantee he'll be able to make the step up. Hooker is a very attritional position, we need two in every match day squad, we can't expect Hanson or Marais to play the full 80 all that often and unlike other positions we cant't move others to hooker as cover. I wouldn't have been confident going into next season without signing someone else and I'm glad to see that DH has acted.
Opportunist
On the board

Fat Taff 12 Jun 2018 20:18 pm said..

Opportunist wrote:I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Walker in the U20s and believe that he is the future, but the reality is he has almost no senior experience and there's no guarantee he'll be able to make the step up. Hooker is a very attritional position, we need two in every match day squad, we can't expect Hanson or Marais to play the full 80 all that often and unlike other positions we cant't move others to hooker as cover. I wouldn't have been confident going into next season without signing someone else and I'm glad to see that DH has acted.

Gleave's only featured 13 times in two seasons at the top level including Anglo Welsh, so not that much more experience than Walker.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Steve M 12 Jun 2018 20:49 pm said..

Fat Taff wrote:
Opportunist wrote:I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Walker in the U20s and believe that he is the future, but the reality is he has almost no senior experience and there's no guarantee he'll be able to make the step up. Hooker is a very attritional position, we need two in every match day squad, we can't expect Hanson or Marais to play the full 80 all that often and unlike other positions we cant't move others to hooker as cover. I wouldn't have been confident going into next season without signing someone else and I'm glad to see that DH has acted.

Gleave's only featured 13 times in two seasons at the top level including Anglo Welsh, so not that much more experience than Walker.

… and Walker's international experience would count in his favour as well
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
On the board

Lebowski 12 Jun 2018 20:58 pm said..

Unlike some on here I don’t have any concerns or reservations about Walker - I think he’s ready to step up and more than capable. I confess to knowing nothing about Gleave but suspect he has been brought in to add a little depth/competition rather than as our third choice hooker.
Lebowski

Opportunist 12 Jun 2018 21:00 pm said..

Steve M wrote:
Fat Taff wrote:

… and Walker's international experience would count in his favour as well

Indeed. I'm not trying to suggest that Gleave will be ahead of Walker, and as I posted I've been very impressed with Walker at U20 level and I believe he's the future. I just think hooker was a position where we needed more cover and I'm pleased that we now have that.
Opportunist
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby