Women's World Cup 2021

Women's World Cup 2021

GlawsyD 14 Jun 2018 08:51 am said..

England and Wales join France, Portugal, Australia and reigning world champions New Zealand in confirming their interest in bidding to host the 2021 Women's Rugby World Cup. Ireland was the venue for the 2017 event.

The winning bid, which will hope to emulate Ireland's record-breaking attendance figures, will be announced by the World Rugby Council on 14 November in Dublin.

Changes include retaining 12 teams in the competition, but increasing squad sizes from 28 to 30. The tournament length will also increase from 23 days to 35, thus allowing guaranteed rest periods of 4 days between pool games, and 5-6 days in the knockout stages. The latter will now include a quarter final stage, which replaces the previous 'classification' element of previous tournaments.

With the vagaries of the bidding system, it will be interesting to see if Kingsholm is included as a possible venue in the England / Wales bid (not sure if this is a joint bid). Should the tournament go to the Southern Hemisphere or Portugal?
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: Women's World Cup 2021

King Prawn Bhuna 14 Jun 2018 09:00 am said..

Women's RWC in Portugal...Sounds like a good trip to me...
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Return to Gloucester Rugby