South Africa v England part II

Re: South Africa v England part II

stevieb 19 Jun 2018 10:06 am said..

robs1 wrote:
Gloucester Mute wrote:Rugby (training and playing) is a contact sport where injuries can and do occur.

I suppose, as a GRFC supporter, you would consider it fine if their injuries occurred at Hartpury or in a GRFC shirt ??

Take off your parochial CG blinkers and consider it from their greater perspective as professional sportsmen...……...and consider the related kudos GRFC receive from having players in International shirts.

Do you know I never knew rugby was a contact sport,how many times have we had players crocked while on international duty? Injuries are bad and its make no difference where they occur, as for Kudos well Cips hasnt even pulled on a glos shirt yet so that hardly applies to him and IMO the only kudos from playing for any country is from the supporters of the club, I dont look at any international side and look to see who they play for but of course if we have glos players in any international team that is good for our supporters but in reality it means little .
I support Glos first, England second and have done in the 50 years I have been going to KIngsholm,I have no problem with anyone who doesnt agree with that, do I want our players to play for their country and do well of course I do but not to their long term detriment, as has happened before and under the current regime likely to again,

Do you think GRFC gains any benefit from having players stepping up a level and competing with and against a higher class of player? I'd suggest it probably improves them as a player and it gives an extra spring in their step and greater desire to do well at club level when they know they are on the cusp of international recognition.

Even if it's 'just playing for England in a lost cause', it increases their profile and raises the prominence of GRFC. We want class players to sign? - seeing a host of well known international names already in situ has to help.

Of course we don't want players injured while on international duty but as said above, they can get injured at any time, that's the nature of the sport.

I think I might just have agreed with Mutey.... :shock:
stevieb
Hall of Famer

SirHenry 19 Jun 2018 10:24 am said..

Me too, in the substance of the message, if not in the delivery.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
On the board

Not1eyed 19 Jun 2018 11:02 am said..

Beddis, he’d probably have settled for a bench spot for Gloucester after Xmas. Braley was quite often selected for that role. I understand the concerns were based around his game management. So much so he was played in Europe cup final when Braley was out on his feet. He needs to learn his craft. At this stage Spencer is a long way ahead of him
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

robs1 19 Jun 2018 13:35 pm said..

TheOptimistSenior wrote:
robs1 wrote:
DieTrying wrote:If I was Cipriani or Woodward, I'm not sure I'd want to be involved in a bus crash of a tour.

From a glos point of view I dont want either picked for a lost cause and then discarded with a huge loss of confidence that we have to rebuild or even worse suffer a serious injury

robs1, I suppose it depends how you define a lost cause. If I was in either Cipriani's or Woodward's shoes, I would want to play in the final test, to show how good I was and to show the coach he had been wrong not to pick me, and perhaps to be part of an emphatic win against a Boks side, which is keen to achieve a whitewash.
However, I respect your opinion. It's a shame that on occasions, perjorative language (yes, that's you Gloucester Mute) is used to bolster an alternative opinion, but that's not new. ;)

Of course they both want to play, just as I would in their position, but thats not the point I was making, I was talking from my position as a glos fan, I dont believe that EJ will pick either player if one of his favorites is avaliable and that wont do their mindset any good, now thats just my view, and am more than happy to accept others opinion that is opposite,we will only know if they get picked, I will be more tghan happy to be proved wrong, I have said previously that I wasnt keen on Cips signing before he did just that, I trust that DH and JA know a lot more than I do and that he will take us to a new level and that I will be proved wrong, I will be the first to post if he does, however its the dismissive tone from GM(not the first time) that isnt required IMO, this is after all a forum and thats what we do, discuss things it can do without the high and mighty, after all I could be a young lad and be intimidated by such posts, thankfully I'm not.

Had my say on this and will leave it now as its going OT
robs1
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 19 Jun 2018 13:57 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Beddis, he’d probably have settled for a bench spot for Gloucester after Xmas. Braley was quite often selected for that role. I understand the concerns were based around his game management. So much so he was played in Europe cup final when Braley was out on his feet. He needs to learn his craft. At this stage Spencer is a long way ahead of him

Fyi Ben V was struggling with a back injury for a while and was rested until Willi got crocked. Hopefully he will be fit and firing in pre season and can press on. That said I haven't written Braley off yet either and hope he is currently doing sprint training in the off season!!!
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Lurker 19 Jun 2018 19:46 pm said..

Still Realistic wrote: hope he is currently doing sprint training in the off season!!!

hope he is also practicing distance box kicks :D
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 19 Jun 2018 22:20 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Beddis, he’d probably have settled for a bench spot for Gloucester after Xmas. Braley was quite often selected for that role. I understand the concerns were based around his game management. So much so he was played in Europe cup final when Braley was out on his feet. He needs to learn his craft. At this stage Spencer is a long way ahead of him

As are Care and Youngs - either one of which would greatly enhance our squad.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby