South Africa v England part II

Re: South Africa v England part II

stuartjames 16 Jun 2018 17:31 pm said..

How much is EJ earning? He's not going to walk, and can the RFU afford to pay off his contract, that's just been extended ?

I fear we're stuck with him until after WC2019
stuartjames
Hero in the making

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 17:49 pm said..

Halo said that this isn't a great Boks side, which is true, but it's been a massive improvement over the past few seasons in a very short period.

The starting English front 5 got smashed in the set piece and the loose. The contrast in the carrying effectiveness of the two front rows was stark. Decision making at 9,10,12 & 13 was way better by the Boks, and there skipper both played better, and made better calls than Farrell. Is it possible to be a Tier 1 side giving away 13 penalties and having one in the bin? Maro needs to stop all the pushing and shoving, back slapping and whooping and concentrate on his rugby. Jonny May was good, again,
Not sure what they'll do with the pack, but as far as the backs go, I'd try; 9 Robson, 10 Cips, 12 Lozowski, 13 Daly, 14 May, 11 Earle, 15 Brown.

This isn't a bad England side, but they've been playing badly for some months. There's plenty of talent, but Eddie seems hellbent on ignoring it, or putting players in daft positions.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 16 Jun 2018 17:50 pm said..

Garbage.

Selection, tactics, attitude, discipline - all garbage.

To Eddie’s fans - please explain why Sinkler is playing? Why Ford is starting ahead of Danny? Why Brown is playing on the wing? Why half that team are there in all honesty?
Lebowski

ryno_chelt 16 Jun 2018 17:54 pm said..

Genge to start next week - the boy can carry!

Cips too, maybe chuck Woodward in and move Daly to wing with Jonny on the other. Lowoski at 13. Robson on the bench.

Isiekwe start at 6.
ryno_chelt
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 16 Jun 2018 17:57 pm said..

+1....there is at least one of our number who has been quite vociferous in the defence of unsteady Eddie since the AIs last year.

I can’t see anyone wishing to defend the current shambolic set up.

Note to Eddie, as A former PE teacher you probably don’t know there is a silent ‘g’ in the word you are looking for.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Opportunist 16 Jun 2018 18:01 pm said..

A poor performance from England. Surely now Jones has to make changes for the third test. Unfortunately I imagine he'll be feeling the pressure and will just stick with what he knows.

A very good game from Mostert again.
Opportunist
On the board

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 18:03 pm said..

ryno_chelt wrote:Genge to start next week - the boy can carry!

Cips too, maybe chuck Woodward in and move Daly to wing with Jonny on the other. Lowoski at 13. Robson on the bench.

Isiekwe start at 6.

Why bench the form 9 of the season? He should start. Lozowski at 13?
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 16 Jun 2018 18:05 pm said..

Fat Taff wrote:Not sure what they'll do with the pack, but as far as the backs go, I'd try; 9 Robson, 10 Cips, 12 Lozowski, 13 Daly, 14 May, 11 Earle, 15 Brown.

Well you may (as a Welsh supporter) but you know that isn't going to happen. I'd like to see Daly given a game in his best position of 13 but I suspect Lozowski is more likely. Slade hasn't been awful but neither has he taken his chance. Unless there is an injury Faz will start at 12. I suspect the back 3 will remain the same unless EJ throws in the curve ball of starting Cips there!!! I suspect Robson is a more likely starter than Spencer somehow but still expect him to stay with Youngs as he is part of EJ's "leadership team". Cips showed enough in his few minutes to suggest he needs a start and the press will be calling for it which may make EJ dig his heals in!!!!
As for the pack, Williams and Marler clearly need to start although hooker is a toss up. EJ clearly has no faith in Jonny Hill or Izekwe (sp?) but please don't play shields there. Simmonds must start although (along with Zak Mercer) I feel at international level he may be better at 7 than 8. Ben Curry played pretty well but looked lightweight today.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 18:09 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:Garbage.

Selection, tactics, attitude, discipline - all garbage.

To Eddie’s fans - please explain why Sinkler is playing? Why Ford is starting ahead of Danny? Why Brown is playing on the wing? Why half that team are there in all honesty?

I struggled to see a particular game plan other than the one they should have used last week, plenty of high balls onto the two new wingers. Trouble was, the kicks weren't accurate and tended to go to le Roux who had no worries. After that, there seemed to be no plan B.

Launching Slade up the middle for a trundle seemed another one. Not exactly playing to his strengths.

Ford is such a front foot player. When his team is under pressure, he just vanishes.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 16 Jun 2018 18:15 pm said..

Shields. A shoe in for an England place?...not personally a follower of SH rugby but he did nothing to impress me.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby