South Africa v England part II

Re: South Africa v England part II

Sky blue 16 Jun 2018 18:19 pm said..

Eddie doesn't seem to think that Robson's technical skills are at test rugby level. I think he's right.

The big challenge is to sort out the terrible discipline and improve accuracy. Itoje needs to get back to basics and drop this pathetic hard man nonsense. Ditto Mako.

Although Ford played pretty well I'd like to see Cipriani get a start - he can change the spirit of the team. I'd keep Daly at FB but bring a new winger in for Brown (despite him having a good game). Shields hasn't shown why he's been fast tracked so far - give Wilson a start.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 18:24 pm said..

Still Realistic wrote:
Fat Taff wrote:Not sure what they'll do with the pack, but as far as the backs go, I'd try; 9 Robson, 10 Cips, 12 Lozowski, 13 Daly, 14 May, 11 Earle, 15 Brown.

Well you may (as a Welsh supporter) but you know that isn't going to happen. I'd like to see Daly given a game in his best position of 13 but I suspect Lozowski is more likely. Slade hasn't been awful but neither has he taken his chance. Unless there is an injury Faz will start at 12. I suspect the back 3 will remain the same unless EJ throws in the curve ball of starting Cips there!!! I suspect Robson is a more likely starter than Spencer somehow but still expect him to stay with Youngs as he is part of EJ's "leadership team". Cips showed enough in his few minutes to suggest he needs a start and the press will be calling for it which may make EJ dig his heals in!!!!
As for the pack, Williams and Marler clearly need to start although hooker is a toss up. EJ clearly has no faith in Jonny Hill or Izekwe (sp?) but please don't play shields there. Simmonds must start although (along with Zak Mercer) I feel at international level he may be better at 7 than 8. Ben Curry played pretty well but looked lightweight today.

I'm trying to be objective, honestly!

With the series gone, and his tried and tested combinations underperforming, why not try something different? All of those players are in form, and I'd also stick Woodward in for Brown at 15. If he picks Launchbury, he can take the captaincy.

Mind you, not much point in a changed backline if the front 5 are getting dominated.

Both of the Boks front rows were superb today. Kitshoff destroyed Sinckler when he came on and put it about in the loose. Don't know the name of the other prop replacement, but 'Angry Warthog' is a genius nickname for a prop.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 16 Jun 2018 18:34 pm said..

FT, sorry I forgot the ;) ! :D
While I understand your thoughts this is still a test match that England / EJ need to ideally win but at least be competitive in so they are not going to chuck in a completely different backline. I must disagree with your comment about the lack of plan B (&C &D ....) I thought the backs had a variety of tactics (agree about Slade on the crash though) and looked dangerous but they just didn't get enought quality ball in attacking areas of the pitch. It reminded me quite a lot of watching Glaws over the last few years TBH!
Another hand grenade to chuck into this thread........how about giving EJ some credit for Jonny Mays all round game improvement???? Has clearly worked on those areas EJ told him to improve on last year and now looks a complete test winger.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Beddis 16 Jun 2018 18:36 pm said..

What a pathetic performance, it didn’t even look to me that they were that bothered by it either???

Front row problems as per last week, Sinckler isn’t good enough and perhaps the Lions tour demands are really coming through now.

Itoje (and Mako) need to lose the nonsense and quick. It was probably Itoje’s worst performance and it has been coming.

No idea what Shields is supposed to do, he doesn’t look anything like an international yet, Curry was more physical this week but still looked like the youngster he is. He makes a lot of tackles but they aren’t the dominant ones that we need. Vunipola didn’t look remotely fit and you have to wonder why they didn’t give him the summer off to recover fully. There’s no doubting his ability and so I no point whatsoever in flogging him to death. I’ve always wondered whether he is too heavy for his body? is it a Samson like thing where he would lose his game if he lost a few stone? Would he get so many injuries if he was lighter? What are his long term health prospects?

Youngs and Ford were both poor. Youngs has had a terrible tour and I hope to see the Robson and Cipriani combo come in.

Farrell is not a captain and his own game is suffering badly. Slade doesn’t look good enough, again.

May is one of the best wings in the World at the moment, Brown isn’t and although he didn’t do too badly, we need to freshen things up. Daly back to the wing and Woodward to 15

Jones was a bad choice at the time, good to see others finally seeing it as well. The sooner he goes and then prey that Dai Young will takeover
Posts: 3995  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Welly 16 Jun 2018 18:42 pm said..

Still Realistic wrote:e to chuck into this thread........how about giving EJ some credit for Jonny Mays all round game improvement???? Has clearly worked on those areas EJ told him to improve on last year and now looks a complete test winger.

I mean if you really want to get some reactions, how about giving Leicester Tigers some credit in improving his all round game....... :lol:

(Joking)
Welly
Hall of Famer

robs1 16 Jun 2018 18:43 pm said..

Dont want woodward in only to be in a poor team who arent used to his style and get pinged for holding on as no support for his runs and then get dropped into oblivion ala CS
robs1
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Jun 2018 18:46 pm said..

Sky blue wrote:Eddie doesn't seem to think that Robson's technical skills are at test rugby level. I think he's right.

The big challenge is to sort out the terrible discipline and improve accuracy. Itoje needs to get back to basics and drop this pathetic hard man nonsense. Ditto Mako.

Although Ford played pretty well I'd like to see Cipriani get a start - he can change the spirit of the team. I'd keep Daly at FB but bring a new winger in for Brown (despite him having a good game). Shields hasn't shown why he's been fast tracked so far - give Wilson a start.

Genuine question, why? Good pass, reasonable box kick, good decision making, and a great break. What am I missing?

You're one of a number saying Daly at 15. Am I in a minority of one that thinks his best position is 13?
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Neilio44 16 Jun 2018 18:48 pm said..

I've rarely, if ever recently seen smiles on England players faces during games (ok, maybe for a reason recently, but i suggest EJ needs to get them enjoying their games and give them some 'freedom'). Maybe everything is taken all a bit too seriously, resulting in too much pressure, hence all the bad decisions, errors etc.

Disappointed today.

Hands off JA
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

Neilio44 16 Jun 2018 18:50 pm said..

A bit selfish, as I suspect Woodward is gagging for a cap, but i'd rather keep him away from this mess until its sorted.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

Russglos 16 Jun 2018 19:41 pm said..

I doubt it would ever happen but stay with me. Jones' team is not doing very well at the moment. What if he were to up anchor and I am not ignoring the financial impacts of a decision like that
for Jones, or England?
Who would/could take over?
Dean Ryan has been putting his mark on the set up of the younger teams.
Could he be drafted in to do a job?
Russglos
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby