South Africa v England part II

Re: South Africa v England part II

Not1eyed 17 Jun 2018 19:37 pm said..

Hasn’t dean Ryan just taken over with the age groups. Also neither have any international experience.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Beddis 17 Jun 2018 20:13 pm said..

EJ’s experience isn’t proving too wonderful at the moment though
Posts: 3987  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Not1eyed 17 Jun 2018 20:28 pm said..

I get that but don’t think the RFU would make that move unless a top quality proven international coach was available. I doubt they appoint Ryan as he not really set world alight at club level. Malinder was more successful but don’t think they will go down that road.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 17 Jun 2018 20:35 pm said..

Clearly things are going badly for England right now but changing coach would be crazy. EJ needs to be sat down by his boss and given some blunt feedback. Let's not forget that his record with England is still good - despite the recent significant slump. His previous record is also very good (WC Final, WC winner as #2 and helping Japan to overachieve). The key thing is that he has to change something - what he's doing right now isn't working.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 17 Jun 2018 21:15 pm said..

I agree sky blue. Talk of EJ getting sacked seems silly 1 year before the World Cup. He must turn things around soon tho.
I was just pointing out that the lack of an obvious candidate with relevant experience makes the RFU decision easier
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

The Moog 17 Jun 2018 22:13 pm said..

EJ has done really well for England, think it's just a case of players getting old and not moving forward quick enough. Loyalty to some seems to affect the whole team.
The Moog
Vice-Captain

Beddis 17 Jun 2018 22:15 pm said..

If he isn't sacked (as he should be IMO), then I wonder if we were to lose the third test would he just walk away? I can't imagine the press will be too kind to him
Posts: 3987  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Steve M 18 Jun 2018 07:09 am said..

I don't believe EJ is going anywhere until after the World Cup next year, get used to it. ;)

Whilst he is in charge and probably deserves a lot of the flak heading his way I also believe he, and the rest of us, are being let down by senior players.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

CMGC 18 Jun 2018 08:29 am said..

I can't see the point of the sack and hire mentality. EJ has shown he can deliver and like most coaches at some point is having a struggle at the moment. Eng have issues with discipline and a bit of cnfidence. They have shown enough in spells to indicate to me they have it if they can sort out the problems. They are struggling with the missing players more than they should but the new faces will blend in . They also have quite a few having off spells. Clearly the pressure is getting to the players judging by the press .
CMGC

Tim in Shropshire 18 Jun 2018 09:51 am said..

Wouldn't disagree with a word of this. Particularly the bit about flogging the players. Was really noticeable against Quins at the end of the season. Sinckler, in particular, could barely waddle off the pitch when he was substituted. Time for EJ to realise that less is almost always more
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -world-cup
Tim in Shropshire
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby